Chapter 40 | Brief Mortal Life

AN: Hey Gang! How are you all?

I am SO sorry again for such a late update to this story. This chapter took me a while because I wasn't so sure which direction to go in but I think I managed to nail it somewhat haha.

This chapter isn't that long, but I just wanted to get it out there to carry on with what I am planning for the next.

Don't you worry guys, there is A LOT to come ;)

Enough from me, I hope you enjoy this chapter!

——————————————————————

TW: Bad Language, Gore, and Violent Depictions, and Sexual Themes.

Song: Devil's Playground ~ The Rigs

'Brave, are you brave enough to meet
The desires that you seek
Hold my hand, I'll set you free

Welcome to the devil's playground
You can tread where demons play
It's your Candyland where dreamers dance
And I promise that it's safe

Welcome to the devil's playground
You can look and you can touch
It's a real fine day at the black parade
And I swear it won't cost much'

Chapter 40 | Brief Mortal Life

Ember

"More than 5,000 have been counted dead."

She barely squinted against the sun that hit her.

It had been four weeks since Feyre had given birth, and the Mortal Lands were still counting those who had fallen.

They hadn't stood a chance really, but her gut biled up at the thought of Helm going that low with the purpose of war.

Why go for innocent mortals than the High Lord's kins instead?

It didn't correlate or sit right with her.

The need and thought of a bigger plan behind it loomed over her darkening figure.

Tamlin turned to them, his expression not one of bland humour and discretion of ignorance like it usually did.

The Spring Court had tried its utmost to help them, but with barely any left alive it had been taking them weeks to help those who were injured and move those that were dead.

And to decide what to do about it.

It was hard enough to involve themselves in such matters, but the wall proved an impenetrable force that it seemed even the Fae had struggled with.

Not enough however, as Tamlin had previously recited moments before that his own men had died on the outskirts.

It seemed nobody had been left out of the untimely massacre. Nobody was safe.