Chapter Sixty-three

It surprised Rosalyn to find Clara still in bed. The usual occurrence was that Clara would be up and bustling about, sometimes even dressed, before Rosalyn got up. She gently shook Clara's shoulder.

"Mistress?"

She did not stir.

"Mistress!" Clara stirred, and Rosalyn breathed a sigh of relief. "Are you not well?"

"I am not," Clara admitted. She slept very little and her entire body ached, but she knew it had more to do with her emotional state than any physical ailment.

"Should I fetch a doctor?"

"No, it is nothing some rest cannot cure," Clara reassured her.

"What do you wish me to tell, Mr. Brummell? He will most likely insist."

"That is why he mustn't know. Tell him I have heard from my brother and I wish to prepare for his visit. I shall meet him for dinner, if he wishes, otherwise at the same time tomorrow, for certain. Also, I need for you to fetch my new hat and gloves from the milliner today."

"You wish me to leave you? I don't think that wise with you unwell."

"I'm fine, Rosalyn. I did not sleep well. Must have been the excitement of seeing Mr. McAllister at the Opera. My mind did not wish the evening to end."

Rosalyn was hesitant. "If that is your wish."

"That is my wish." Clara wrote the name of the shop she was sending Rosalyn to on some scratch paper.

"There. Now let me sleep." Clara settled back in under her covers and turned away from her servant. Rosalyn tucked the note away. Mr. Brummell will not like this. However, when the carriage arrived, she conveyed the message as she was told.

"Her brother?" Mr. Brummell asked. "I guess my involvement is coming to an end then? When is he due to visit?"

"I am not sure. I... did not think to ask?"

"No worries. I'm sure I will discover all soon enough. Well, it looks like it is just you and I then, shall we?"

Rosalyn smiled and took Mr. Brummell's arm as he led her to the carriage.

"Perhaps I should escort you to the milliners, today?"

"That is quite unnecessary. The footmen you hired will be with me."

"Alright then," Mr. Brummell agreed. "I will check in on Clara at dinner."

"I will inform her, Mr. Brummell."

Mr. Brummell nodded and left the carriage, and it had made its trip to Whites. As expected, Benjamin was already waiting. His cheerful countenance changed the moment he did not see Clara peeking out from the carriage to wave. He watched as Brummell did not even bother to turn around, cluing him into the thought that the carriage must be empty. But where was Clara, and why was she not with him?

__________

Clara sprung from the bed the moment Rosalyn left the room. From her bedroom window, she watched Mr. Brummell's carriage come and go. She was now free to do as she wished. The first item on her agenda, to scour Lord Fitton's notes.

Everything was there, she read with a heavy heart the medicinal uses of this wildflower. Little is known exactly how the plant worked, but for those that it had an effect, the results were undeniable. In his notes, he mentioned Hippocrates was the first to make a note of it being used this way. So, its properties must be well known by now.

That was it then, her next order of business, the Covent Flower Market. Clara dressed, then had the concierge call her a carriage, and off she went. It took her some time to find someone who knew about this flower. They rarely use such a common weed it in floral arrangements.