Chapter Thirty-Four

Clara wished with all her heart that things could have been different. She knew she couldn't give Redgrave what he wanted but didn't like the way, as he put it, his part of her story ended. However, there was little she could do to change that. As a writer, she wished to give him a better ending but she was not in charge of authoring this life or his.

She had what little belongings she owned packed. Looking over at Sturgis she asked, "Are you ready?"

He shoved the last of his clothing into his duffle and slung it over his shoulder. He gave her what he hoped was an encouraging smile. "After you, my lady," he teased, making a grand sweep with his arm.

Clara laughed and then felt a wave of sadness. So much has occurred since she has boarded the Whispering Wind, it has left her altered. For some reason it hurt to know once she stepped off this ship, Benjamin Claremont will die. He will cease to exist, his adventures are over and she will back to being just Clara, Mrs. Clara McAllister the woman who ran away from home, broken.

"Now is not the time for self-pitying," Clara thought. She linked arms with Sturgis. "Let's go together shall we?"

Sturgis smiled at her in earnest this time. "Let's."

They made their way through the ship to Lord Fitton's room. They knocked and he bid them enter. Clara could not believe the scene before her. Did he not remember that today was the day? He looked like he hadn't a single thing packed.

"What are you doing? We have reached the Laccadive Sea. We are nearing the port. Why haven't you packed?" Clara wondered picking up some notes and Lord Fitton quickly took them from her and put them back where she grabbed them from.

"Do not touch ANYTHING!" he warned her as he frantically looked about the room.

"Did you lose something?" Clara queried, thinking the obvious answer would be his mind.

"To you, this looks a fright, but trust me when I tell you there is a method to this madness. I have a system for packing."

Clara gave him a slow, wide-eyed nod. "A system? Does this system include actually packing anything away?"

He grimaced at her. "Of course it does. My trunks are soon to arrive and I will be packed by the time we reach Cochin Port."

"You know we are mere hours from that destination?"

"Clara," Fitton said placing his hands on his hips, "this is not helping?"

Clara smiled. "Well then, how may I help?"

"Much better," Lord Fitton said, and he immediately put her to work and even found tasks for Sturgis to perform. When the trunks arrived one for each corner of the room, he was right. He was packed and ready, even before they reached the port. Clara was impressed.

"Where will we stay when we reach Fort Kochi?" Clara inquired.

"I know of a colonial inn. Quite nice and well kept. I will procure us a room there."

Clara's hands paused over the drawings she just placed into the trunk, the last of the items to be packed. "Only one room?"

Lord Fitton rubbed the back of his neck a sure sign that whatever was going to come next was at the very least an uncomfortable topic for him to discuss. He strode across the room and took her hands in his.

"Clara, when you leave this ship. We will need to procure you some woman's clothing. I will be traveling with you as not just your chaperone but more as your protector, but truthfully this will go much easier and I could give you my full protection if I may be so bold as to call you ... my wife."