Chapter Thirty-Six

Clara joined Lord Fitton and Sturgis in the quaint dining area of the hotel. They were currently enjoying some tea and what appeared to be fried bananas. Sturgis looked like he was in heaven as he relished his sweet treat.

"I leave you two alone for a few minutes and I come to find you indulging in dessert before a sensible dinner."

Sturgis smiled mischievously without any remorse. Lord Fitton stood and pulled out a chair for Clara to be seated.

"We were just starting off with a little something before dinner was to arrive. I wanted to wait for you," Lord Fitton said, helping Clara slide in her chair.

"You did not need to wait. Now I feel bad. You both must be starving." Sturgis nodded his head, yes, but Lord Fitton disagreed. "We're fine. Would you like some tea?"

"Yes please," Clara said and he poured some for her. It has been some time since she's indulged in such a luxury. Onboard the Whispering Wind it was either water or some sort of grog. She never was much of a drinker and definitely did not want to chance her lips becoming loosened by imbibing too much rum so she drank mostly from the freshwater that was stored onboard.

"You must at least try the pazham pori. They are delicious!" Sturgis told her. Lord Fitton laughed and placed one on a small plate for her.

Clara cut into the golden fried fritter and savored the taste of it in her mouth.

"Good, right?" Sturgis asked, taking her silence as proof.

"Mmm-hmm," Clara replied as she hadn't time to swallow and did not wish to talk with her mouth full.

"I took the liberty of ordering for us. I hope you don't mind," Lord Fitton said, pouring some more tea into his cup.

"Why would I possibly mind? I would be lost without you as my Hindi is rough and these people speak a language I have not heard."

"They speak Malayalam. Although some speak Tamil, most business owners have learned English as more and more of us have migrated here."

"Migrated?" Sturgis scoffed. "More like invaded."

"Sturgis," Lord Fitton reprimanded but Clara thought he had a point. It was hard not to see how the different countries that have all come here for the trade, the spices, the silks, and wares have left their own stamp on this land. It does make one wonder what this place would be like if it were left alone to develop in its own time, in its own way.

The pazham pori was taken away to make room for the delectable and fragrant dishes that were now placed before them. Clara has never had a meal that appealed not just to the pallet but also to the very senses of her body.

The visual presentation of the sadhya a traditional vegetarian meal, with its stunning collection of curries spread in a specific order on a banana leaf, the aromatic smells of the coconut that came wafting from the theeyal, the savory taste of the ellum kappayum, and the velvety texture of the fish molee, all culminated into more than a meal it was a true cultural experience.

Clara could not remember when she enjoyed a meal more. They all did as they partook in the various dishes, commenting on each one about what they liked best about them.

Quite satisfied the three of them decided it was best to retire for the evening as they had an early day tomorrow if they were to reach the Center by mid-day. As they approached the lobby, the owner of the hotel stopped Lord Fitton.

"Lord Fitton, I have a letter for you, sir. Just arrived from a boy who said he came from a ship in port."

He handed the letter to Lord Fitton who immediately recognized the seal and so did Clara. It was the Royal Seal. "Thank you," Lord Fitton said and the three of them traveled to their room.