Chapter Sixty-Seven

It was wonderful spending time with her brother. Yet Clara found it increasingly bothersome that Mr. Brummell had still not seen nor heard from Benjamin. The ball was to be that evening.

"What if something has happened? What if he doesn't show? What if the Queen thinks him, not a suitable match?" Clara wrung her hands with worry as she paced the room.

Rosalyn stopped her in her tracks. "You know nothing could keep Mr. McAllister from you. He would not miss this chance for all the world. Mr. Brummell has told me how his suffering has been as acute as yours. Have faith. He will be there."

Clara was just as fearful of Benjamin being at the ball as she was of him not showing. She knew she had to confront him. She had to get the truth from him, but how? And did she really want to know? What if her worst fears were confirmed? What then?

Clara opened the box that contained her dress for the evening. Mr. Brummell had told her Benjamin will wear his formal attire and a Green Man mask. Rosalyn helped Clara dress. The gown was beautiful, a perfect fit. Clara put her mask in place and took a deep breath to calm her nerves. Finally, she was ready.

Richard was waiting for her at the bottom of the stairs. His mask was a simple black mask with a pointed crow's nose. Richard obviously chose understated knowing his role was as her guardian and protector. He did not need to draw attention to himself.

"You are stunning," Richard told Clara as he took her hand and she stepped off the last step.

"Thank you," Clara said, and soon they were off to the ball.

So many carriages had arrived for this event it took over an hour for them to reach the courtyard and finally be free of their confines. Footmen dressed with white horse masks stepped forward and opened the door for them.

They exited the carriage and ascended the staircase that led to a grand hall. Normally the hostess would be by the door to greet her guests, but the Queen was not present. Instead, Lady Elizabeth Pembroke welcomed them. Clara recognized her by her voice as she covered her face with a mask that resembled a peacock.

Looking at her invitation, Lady Pembroke's smile broadened. "Ah, Lady Bentley a pleasure. I hope you enjoy this evening."

"I am certain I shall. It is all quite wondrous." Clara's writer's mind was soaking in her surroundings. Someone swagged greenery over every doorway and window. Large floral displays in bright colors made the room feel more like a garden than a ballroom. It was as if she stepped into a magical fairyland, complete with mythical and magical creatures who were actually the guests of this evening's affair.

Clara scanned every face for the Green Man mask. Benjamin was not to be found.

"There are so many people here. How am I ever to find him?" Clara complained to Richard.

"I'm sure he'll seek you out," Richard reassured her.

"I hope you are right," Clara said.

All too soon, a stranger claimed a dance and Clara knew she could not refuse. The night progressed, and she did not sit out a set, though her feet ached and her body begged for rest. The only respite she had was when Richard stole her to get something to eat.

"Thank you, I'm not sure I could dance another step," Clara said, gratefully taking the seat as Richard pulled it out for her.

"Clara, I've been inquiring but I have yet to discover if Benjamin is here."

"Mr. Brummell told me he would wear a Green Man mask, but I have seen no one wearing one," Clara informed him.

"Does Benjamin know what you are wearing as well?"