Chapter 11: Old Friend

Karl POV

I stared at my phone, unsure on whether to be confused or concerned. I finally decide to text back.

Darryl: We need to talk, Its important

Karl: Whats up? Can we message or do you need to call me?

Darryl: Call, its easier than typing

Karl: I'll call you in one sec

"Hey Clay, would it be alright if I took a quick shower?" I ask and he glances over to me from the screen. "Yeah of course, there should be a clean towel in there" I give him a smile and head into the bathroom, locking the door behind me.

I take my phone back out and press on Darryl's number, it didn't take long for him to pick up. "Karl!" he shouted. I almost forgot what he sounded like.

"Whats wrong?" I asked with no hesitation, it must've been important for him to contact me. "Your close with the new kid right?" he asks. "Yeah Greg, why?" I questioned, confused.

"I saw him running out of the office a few days ago, he bumped into me" I cut him off "Darryl where is this going?" I ask and he sighs. "I didn't say anything to him but he had Georges file"

"How do you know it's Georges file?" I ask "I saw the name as he dropped it-" "And you didn't think to ask why?" I didn't realise the aggression in my tone until afterwards "He doesn't talk I didn't see what good that would do"

The call goes silent for a few moments as the information sets in. What would Greg want with Georges file? Did he know George? Does he know George?

"I just thought I would tell you since I know you guys are friends" "Thanks Bad- I mean Daryll- sorry" I stammer. We all stopped using nicknames since George was the one that had given them to us.

"Its alright, are you going to talk to him?" "Yeah Ill talk to him on Monday- oh my god I got to go, it was good talking to you! Ill let you know what happens" I say in a hurry "Oh-okay yeah speak soon"

I end the call and quickly hop into the shower, rushing and only taking 5 minutes. I put my clothes back on and roughed my hair with a towel.

Greg wanted to meet the others on Monday and I hadn't even told them yet. I leave the towel on the floor In the bathroom as I walk back into the bedroom.

"You took forever" Alex states as he looks up from his phone, the others also on their phones. I decided not to make a comment.

"By the way Greg wants to meet you guys at lunch on Monday, he just doesn't want you to ask too many questions. It slipped my mind until just now" I say, flopping down on the mattress next to Alex.

"Cool, sounds good" Clay smiles and Nick agrees "A friend of yours is a friend of mine of course" Alex smiles and I lay down.

"So how're we sleeping tonight?" Nick asks looking over at Clay. "Up to you, Someone can top and tail with me and then 2 of you can sleep on the mattress" "Alright considering were already on the mattress you two top and tail" Alex says, getting up and turning the main light off before flopping down beside me.

"Here you two can share a blanket" Clay says, next thing I know a blanket hits my face. "Hey!" I take the blanket and put it over myself. Everyone was on their phones and I didn't feel like going on mine.

I laid down on the mattress and looked up at the ceiling, the only light coming from their screens. I couldn't help but question why Greg would take Georges file, I knew there had to be an answer but I wouldn't get one until Monday.

I was glad Darryl contacted me, I missed hanging out with him. Even if the reason he contacted me was a little weird it still got him to talk to me.

"Karl, don't be a blanket hog, give me some" I pass over some of the blanket to Alex and feel the mattress move as he lays down next to me.

"I think the other 2 fell asleep already" he says and I look over and both their phone lights gone. "Oh..what time is it?" I ask and he checks his phone. "Its almost half past midnight" I laid wondering where all the time went.

"We should probably get some sleep, I don't know what we're doing tomorrow..." he states and I nod, forgetting he cant see me.

Silence filled the room as I tried to get some sleep, moving into a more comfortable position. I ended up staring at the ceiling once again.