Chapter 55: I'm Sorry

George POV

After talking with Wilbur I brought it upon myself to have a long overdue conversation with my mum.

I sat on the sofa with her, a blanket covering the both of us.

"So where's Tubbo?" I ask, noticing the quietness to the house.

"He's back at Tommy's but Phil said he would take him to school in the morning" She explain and I give a small nod.

"I'm sorry about dad, I should've told you sooner"

"Don't be silly, you did the right thing, I'm sorry I couldn't protect you" She wraps her arms around me and I allow her.

I hear quiet sobs and look to see her crying.

"I'm sorry I couldn't protect you" she cries harder and I hug her tighter.

"It's not your fault, it's neither of our fault, you are and will always be the best mum I could ask for" I reassure her, tears of my own threatening to fall.

The room falls silent, the only sound is my mother, who failed her only promise to herself to keep me safe.

"I've missed you so much my baby" She says, holding me impossibly closer.

"I've missed you too mum" I feel the tears start leaking out.

"I'm going to let Phil know you won't be in school for the last week, I think it'll be nice to just stay detached from the world for a while" she faintly smiles.

"Yeah that sounds great, the police are probably going to want to talk to you soon" I remind her and she nods.

"Speaking of talks, how did yours go with Wilbur?" She asks.

"It went well, we're going to hang out Friday after school, they all seem to be doing better" I smile.

"Yeah Wilbur came to see me a few times but Clay came here pretty regularly, sometimes he brought Karl, Nick and Alex too"

"They came to see you?" I ask.

"Yeah they would always help me around the house and talk to me about their days, Clay and his mum helped me a lot when you and your dad left"

"The others would come by to see me too, Nick was the one who suggested they see me more in the first place" she explains and I give a small genuine smile.

"They are good friends aren't they" I say as she gives me a warm smile.

"Yeah, although I did want to ask you something" she asks.

"What is it?"

"How are things with you and Clay?"

"...good I think, why?" I ask.

"Well I know you guys weren't on great terms because of him and Fundy..."

"Mum you can just ask me if I like him" I say, rolling my eyes.

"Well do you? Because I always had a suspicion and so did his mum"

"He chose Fundy, he doesn't like me like that" I remind her, also reminding myself at the same time.

"Don't be silly, have you seen the way he looks at you? You have no idea how much happier he looks since you've been back" She smiles.

"Seriously?" I ask, the thought of him and Fundy now at the back of my mind.

"Yes seriously, me and him had a few conversations while you were gone, it was one of the first times he left his house since you left" She starts to explain.

"He felt guilty that he hurt you, after he and Fundy broke up he realised you were just trying to help him. He told me that if he could go back to that day he would've never picked anyone above you" She smiles.

Dream walks into the empty feeling house, looking around at decorations he recognises but nothing feels the same. It was the first time in 4 months he left his bedroom let alone be in a different household.

Sapnap had drove him to Jackie's house and left him there while he went to see Karl. "Hello?" Dream quietly calls out, seeing a familiar face from around the corner. "Clay! It's so good to see you here" Jackie smiles and stands up from her chair.

Her face was pale and the eye bags under her eyes weren't hard to miss. She had tear stains on her face and her hair was thrown messily into a bun. She looked no better than Dream.

Dream walks further into the room, being engulfed into a hug making him cry instantly. "It's okay" Jackie reassures him, rubbing his back but crying herself at the sight of him.

Jackie knew his other friends were suffering but Dream was different, It was almost as if he couldn't function properly without George and completely forgot how to take care of himself.

"I want George back" he chokes, his eyes hurting from the constant crying he had been doing before he got here. "I just want to tell him how sorry I am" Jackie breaks away from the hug to look him in the eyes.

"Sorry for what?" She asks as he wipes his eyes. "For not putting him first and for not believing him" he cries again, falling back into the hug. "I just wish I could go back to that day and choose him, I would and will always choose him" Jackie held him tighter.

"Listen I'm going to call your mum okay? You can stay with me for a few days, we can talk about George as much as you want" she cries, feeling the nod against her neck from Dream.

"Wait for me in the living room okay? Once I call your mum I'll bring through some blankets and hot chocolate" she says, wiping her own face. Dream gives a faint nod and walks to the sofa.

"I'm sorry Georgie" he says to himself as he takes a breath, sitting with his knees to his chest on the sofa.