Chapter 12: A Normal Monday

Clay POV

The weekend had been fun. We decided to stay in on Sunday and just play games, none of us felt like going out and doing anything.

The start of another week of school, except this time we actually had other things to do apart from work. Its our first week back to playing football.

Unfortunately that still meant that we wouldn't be with Karl some of the time or during a lesson but he was making new friends so we felt more comfortable leaving him.

Half of the day had already flown by and lunch was already here, the rest of the afternoon we had practise but Karl has been eager all day for us to meet Greg so that was what we were about to do.

I sat on the table with the others, Greg still yet to show up. We started eating our lunch as we waited when Karl finally stood up and waved over at someone behind me.

Greg sat down by Karl who immediately got out his notebook on a clean page.

K: Hey

G: Hey guys

N: Im Nick, nice to meet you

A: Alex

C: Im Clay, Im glad we finally get to talk

G: Yeah its nice to meet you all

N: So what do you like doing?

G: Oh, well I guess drawing

A: Do you play video games?

G: I used to, I haven't for a long time

C: I see you with Mr Schlatt a lot, are you big into sports?

G: Not really, he just wanted me to do notes and stuff

C: Oh okay, You should hang out with us after school one day

G: Uh yeah maybe

K: I need to talk to you in art Greg

G: Alright

N: You seem like a chill guy

G: You guys do too

A: We better go get changed for practise, see you around Greg?

G: Yeah, have a good practise

We wave a goodbye to the pair as we take our stuff with us, heading in the direction of the changing rooms.

"Greg seems alright, We should make an effort, Karl seems to be getting attached to him" Nick states, Alex and I both agreeing.

"Yeah we should, We should've probably gotten his number or something" I say. "Karl probably has it, we can just ask him for it later" Alex adds and I nod, heading into the changing rooms.

Karl POV

I take my seat in art beside Greg, pulling my art supplies out and my notebook. Before starting our conversation I sketch an outline of what I want to draw.

I decide on something basic as I mainly wanted to focus on getting some answers from him. I look at my paints and decide to choose random colours. I was only mildly colourblind but sometimes taking it from a different perspective makes the art more interesting.

I finally decide to start the conversation.

K: Hey Greg, I need to ask you something

G: What?

K: Do you know someone called Darryl?

G: Roughly yeah, why?

K: You bumped into him not that long ago

G: Oh yeah

K: Why did you have George's file?

G: A teacher wanted it

K: What teacher?

G: I don't know their name

K: What do they look like?

G: I cant remember, I was just doing what I was told, I didn't pay much attention

K: That file hasn't been touched in months, why would a teacher want it?

G: I don't know, don't ask me

K: You're not lying to me, Are you?

G: Karl lets not talk about this

K: You're lying to me? Why?

G: You cant know yet

K: What the honk is that supposed to mean?

G: Wednesday, Meet me off school grounds somewhere

K: Why? You want me to ditch?

G: Do you want answers?

K: Yes but I also don't want to ditch my friends

G: I know its a lot to ask, I need you to trust me

K: Fine, Where do you want me to meet you and what time?

G: We have second period free, football practise overlaps our English lesson, Meet me at the front gate by the lamp post then

K: Alright, Can I at least tell the others I'm ditching?

G: Ill make you a deal

K: What?

G: Let me explain myself first, then you can decide what you want to do with what you know

K: Okay I guess

I go back and fill in little details to my drawing, the only thing this talk did was give me even more questions than I started with.

I didn't exactly feel safe anymore, It was a weird request but I was getting desperate for answers. The bell finally rang which signified my day was done, although the others still had practise.

I knew my dad was home tonight so I decided to go watch them practise. I sat on the bleachers with my bag beside me, watching them run up and down the pitch was tiring me out.

I see Greg approach Mr Schlatt with a clipboard before being lead around the back of the equipment shed. My friends took this moment of break to wave over to me and I smile back.

I take out my notes book and read through our notes. All of this messing around just to figure out what he was doing with Georges file, does that mean he knows something to do with George?

I felt my heart beating faster than it should've been, putting my notebook back and watching the game with bleary eyes.

Wednesday. My answers will come on Wednesday. I just have to wait a little bit longer.