Chapter 37

Harry POV

"We need to talk."

Her blunt words make my entire body tense up, furrowing my eyebrows at her in confusion and concern. She seemed very slightly off when she came back, but nothing bad. Now, it's completely different. She went out of the room acting one way, and then came back acting another. Something must have happened while she was on the phone with Sage.

I stare at her for a moment, my brain running a hundred miles per hour, already overthinking what it could possibly be. But then I realize, I don't even want to confront some of the things popping up inside of my head. I would rather her tell me and it be something completely different. I don't want to worry myself.

"Okay." I mutter, the words slipping from my lips quicker than I had wanted, making me swallow hard as I nod my head at her. I then move aside on the couch, signaling that she can come sit beside me. I watch her intently, seeing how she hesitantly walks over and sits down a good distance away from me on the couch. I see how she bites down on the inside of her cheek and avoids eye contact with me.

What has got her acting this way?

I never see her this freaked out over something. I've seen her be nervous around me but this is something else. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is but just seeing her this way has me on edge. I just don't get how she could go from being basically fine to acting like this so quickly. Just after a quick phone call with Sage. I don't even think I want to know what happened during that phone call but I'm about to find out.

I want to know because I want to help her. I want to reassure her over whatever it is that has her upset, but at the same time, I'm also scared. With all the thoughts and possibilities going through my head, I'm worried it's one of the worst ones. Fuck how I hope it isn't. I hope because I have the worst possibilities going through my head that when she tells me, it's like a small relief because it's not near as bad as I thought.

That's what I'm hoping for.

"I didn't lie to you, but I didn't tell you the full truth either." I hear her speak so lowly, her voice barely audible. She then looks up at me from underneath her eyelashes. "You saying that we communicate reminded me that's what we do. That it's what I need to do."

I lick my lips, nodding my head at her as I shift in my seat, unable to sit still in my seat, feeling the anticipation soak in. "Okay. I'm here to listen." I tell her softly.

I see her suck in a sharp breath, glancing down at the couch, slowly letting it out. "I don't even know how to tell you this the right way, if there even is a right way." she mumbles, shaking her head side to side.

"Leah, you're worrying me." my words drag out slightly as I gaze at her intently, trying to read her facial expression, feeling my chest tighten at the sight. "Just tell me what it is." I add, a pleading tone in my voice.

I see her shoulders slump as she looks further down, almost as if she's trying to hide from me and my reaction to whatever she has to say. "It's about what happened at the club."

My eyes widen slightly before I furrow my eyebrows. "Are you okay?" I ask her quickly, my tone still soft and quiet.

"Yeah, yeah I'm okay." she quickly nods her head at me, running her fingers through her hair. "I was drinking a-a lot and so was Aiden and I was actually having fun. I felt free."

My eyebrows remain furrowed as I stare at her, a faint smile showing up on my face. "I'm glad. You deserve to feel that way." I reply to her.

I see her nearly wince at my words, the sight making me sit there even more confused and worried, my heart rate accelerating. "I went along with what I was feeling. And things got carried away." she pauses, looking up at me, shame and guilt swimming in her eyes. "I w-was teasing Aiden and then w-we danced together and he s-started kissing my neck." she stutters while fiddling with her fingers anxiously.