22

Seijo had us tripping over our own feet. Watching Oikawa in action was incredible. Not to say that the rest of his team also weren't good, they were, but he elevated the skill on his team so much. It was like clockwork when he set the ball into the spikers hand.

Kageyama had clearly been getting aggravated being on the same court as Oikawa. The first years' sets were still good, however he stopped paying attention to his teammates and focused on trying to beat his rival.

The whistle blew as sugawara stood on the sideline, waiting to be switched in. He held up number 9 and a gasp left my mouth. I looked over at my dad who had a serious expression on as he stared at the two. He must be trying to get the young setters head back in the game.

A row over i heard yelling and looked over. Mr. and Ms. Kageyama we're in disbelief that my dad took Kageyama out of the game. I'm sure this will go over the well after the game and this will be last last time it's commented on.

As the game continues i can see how the years of setting and listening to his teammates has helped Sugawara become a good setter. In raw talent kageyama is better but sugawara outshines him when it comes to understanding his team. on the other side of the net however, Seijo has a nearly perfect setter in every way. they pulled through the first set and we're neck and neck now. After a while longer my dad subbed Kageyama back in. I watched the two switch and crossed my fingers that kageyama would keep a level head.

I stood right next to the railing calling out to the team. We were one point away from pulling the game back or losing. My voice started cracking from how loud i was yelling. It took a lot to overpower the excited student section for seijo. I watched Kageyama set up the quick again and my eyes widened. It was too late. Hinata was in the air with a blocker on his tail.

"COVER! COVER!" I screamed with my chest.

The ball hit the blockers hand and headed to the back of the court. I watched Noya, Kageyama and our ace run for the ball but they didn't make it in time.

The ball hit the floor and i stood their with my eyes open wide, watching it roll off.

I looked to the other side of the court and saw Oikawa sending flying kisses to his fans.
I held onto the railing and let my head fall slightly as i thought of ways we could have avoided this.

I took a deep breath and composed myself. They did their best and i need to go down and support them.

I looked back at the two seats where Daichi's mom and Asahi's sister had been sitting that were now unoccupied. I nodded to myself and made my way down the stairs as well before the Seijo students trampled me.

I saw the two family members comforting their players, telling them they did a good job. Takeda was talking to kageyama and Hinata and i made eye contact with tsukishima, who looked like he was just laughing at his teammates. I frowned, not saying anything but opting to comfort Nishinoya, who i knew was beating himself up.

As i thought, i caught Noyas hand that he was literally hitting against his head.

"Hey, calm down." I said, letting his hand down by his side.

"It's just so frustrating! If i was there a second quicker..." I watched him as he recalled the recent memory, his hand going flat as he remembered the moment.

"I understand, but it's happened. We'll work on whatever we need to tomorrow, okay?" I gave him a gentle smile and he looked away and nodded. I pay his shoulder and heard my dads voice call out to get on the bus.

I waved goodbye to Ms. Sawamura and Cherry and finally noticed that Kageyama's parents hadn't come down. It occurred to me that i hadn't even seen kageyama's parents since their outburst.

i shrug it off and head towards the bus, catching up with kiyoko.

"So do you still want me to bring the party?" She asked as we tread down the stairs from the gym.

I looked at the sullen faces of the boys, "I think they would need it now more than ever." We sat down in our seat and i pulled my stuff onto my lap, "Sorry for bringing down the mood..." I apologize for ruining her joke.

She shook her head, "You're okay, i would feel guilty if i was happy when the rest of the team is upset."

I let out a small sigh and looked back at the boys as the bus started. no one was talking, not even tsukishima or yamaguchi. the atmosphere felt thick and i was ready to sleep.

As soon as my eyes closed a buzz woke me up. I looked down at my phone, already expecting to see Oikawa's contact.

Good game

So sad you didn't talk
to me today >_<

Never found a good
time to.

I replied quickly and laid my phone back down on my lap. To my dismay it buzzed again.

Are you excited for
next monday?

My cheeks heated up. I completely forgot about our practice. Oh my god and to practice with him after we lost like this? I glanced at Kiyoko who was silently looking out the window and shook my head. No one needs to know.

Yeah. i'm still not sure
if i can make it out
of practice though

awh, i really hope you can.
i was so excited to finally
teach you

yeah lol

just let me know,
okay? <3

My eyes widened and i took a sharp breath in. I sat my phone down again, this time in my bag on the floor. I'll unpack that another time.

As the bus pulled in town my dad said something to takeda and he took a different street that the route to school. I furrowed my eyebrows as we soon slowed by a restaurant and turned into the back parking lot.

The bus stopped and my dad stood up, "I thought we could make a stop before we go home." He said and walked down the bus' steps.

Me and Kiyoko, who were near the front both looked at each other with quizzical looks and stood up, being the next ones to get off the bus.

We waited for the last of the club members to get off the bus and walked inside, their coach leading them the whole time. We all sat down at a table and ordered, my dad apologizing to the owner as we all got comfortable.

"These matches take a lot of energy and put a lot of strain on your muscles." He said, all eyes on him, "after a match like this your bodies are at their limits. So you have to eat to repair them. That's how you build muscle and become stronger." He sat down at the table with us, "So eat. Eat a proper meal." He said and daichi put his hands together.

We all looked at one another and followed suit, thanking the kind lady for the food.

A tear started forming in my eye after hearing my dads speech but i blinked it away and took a deep breath. as i ate i could hear the boys sniffing. tears welled up in my eyes again and i took another deep breath, only two falling and gathering at my chin. I wiped then with my napkin and finished my small meal.

07/17/21
unedited
wc: 1299