23

The day went by slowly. Me and Tanaka talked most of the class about the game. I mentioned a few things i had noticed from the stands but i knew it was things he already knew needed to be worked on. his receives and reaction time were good but still needed work. though i did compliment him on his attacks and serves. At lunch i talked to Watabe and Aoki and Tanaka went to Noya's class. Me and the girls had a long talk about colleges and how they're unlikely to get scouted.

It felt like a massive pressure was on me during the whole conversation. I'm not going to have played volleyball all three years. There's no way they would scout me either. My mind was racing and my throat was going dry. Towards the end of the conversation i excused myself and went to the vending machine. I needed a break from the conversation and some water for my dry throat.

I popped in the change and hit the button. The machine made a mechanical noise as it pushed the water out. After the thud of the water i reached down and grabbed it, reflecting on the year so far. I've barely practiced and the times i have lasted about 30 minutes to an hour.

I sat down on the concrete, my mind still racing from the conversation before. My thoughts were interrupted by the screams of the first years. Immediately i stood up, panicked, thinking they were hurt. As i ran towards the gym, where i had heard the screams i realized they were more aggressive than afraid.

For a second i calmed down but then a wave of worry washed over me. Could they be fighting again? My blood pumped hard as i reached the door and yanked it open.

The sound of their shoes hitting the floor filled my ears after i opened the door, their screaming continuing. I watched as hinata ran on the balcony and kageyama ran around on the gym floor.

Eventually they were on the same level and frantically spiking balls.

I sighed and grabbed one of the balls that were rolling freely and walked up to the two of them, tossing the ball to kageyama, who still hadn't seen me.

He reflexively set it when it came into his view and then looked around in bewilderment.

"Sakai!" Hinata exclaimed when he followed kageyama's line of sight.

"I thought you guys were fighting, it's good to see you get your anger out this way though." I said, tossing another one to him.

We were in the gym for a while and the door flew open. A grinning Tanaka and Nishinoya were standing at the door with the other second years standing behind them.

"You guys started before us?" Tanaka Whined.

"Well come join us then!" i said, tossing a ball at him.

just before it got to him Noya stepped in front and bumped it over to kageyama. Like clockwork Kageyama set it to hinata.

Everyone ran into positions in the gym. I was promoted from ball tosser to receiver. Me, ennoshita and noya received as the rest of the boys spiked.

I saw Kiyoko walk in and my heart dropped. I forgot that the third years had to choose if they stayed or focused on their studies.

Hinata ran up to kiyoko and asked if the third years were staying. Outside three pairs of footsteps could be heard. The three missing members stood behind Kiyoko.

"We're staying." She said with a small smile. The gym erupted into cheers. Noya and Ryūnosukes being the loudest ones.

And suddenly we were setting up the net and running drills under the command of the captain. Eventually my dad walked in and stopped to admire the effort the boys had put in after a loss.

"Let's talk." My dad calls out and we all gathered up.

I sat beside tsukishima and flipped him off, hiding my hand behind Noya's back so no one else would see it.