6

There were three other second years aside from the two I had met before coming the manager.

I made a vow to myself after practicing with Asahi that I would try to get to know all of the members on a personal level. If I'm going to manage the team I need to understand all of the members.

During lunch I decided I would visit one their classes each day of the week, leaving one day for visiting Nishinoya and two for staying to hang out with Aoki and Watabe.

Sadly for the first week of hanging out with the other 2nd years Nishinoya and Tanaka insisted on coming along, spouting some kind of nonsense that i might fall for one of the other second years instead of one of them.

This meant I wasn't really able to talk to the other second years as they would either be talking with the idiots or they felt awkward with the idiots breathing down their neck every time they spoke to me.

By the time the second week rolled around and Tanaka and Nishinoya wanted to come with I started threatening them. Telling them I would quit my manager position and never talk to them again. Or worse, I would embarrass them in front of Kiyoko. Sounded mundane to me but it crushed their world after i said it.

They looked at me like puppies that had just been kicked but complied anyway, Finally I would get to talk to these boys one on one.

I slid the door open to class 2-4 and waved to Ennoshita and Narita who were sitting beside each other.

"I got the boys to stay this time." I pulled up an empty chair next to their table.

"I normally enjoy their company but when a girl's around it seems like they just go absolutely feral." Ennoshita grimaced.

"They're usually not so bad when it's just the three of us either. They're like territorial dogs." i shivered, remembering one time when Nishinoya literally barked at a guy who was passing us on the sidewalk.

"I wouldn't be surprised if the saw someone looking at you for too long and decided to just hike their leg up and spray." He added.

"I'm pretty sure it's male cats that spray." Narita furrowed his eyebrows, correcting Ennoshita.

Ennoshita paused, thinking, "I'm pretty sure it's male dogs."

"Hm... it might actually be both. I remember my grandma had to get her cat fixed because he was spraying." I leveled.

"Exactly, I don't think anyone's ever said they were getting their dog fixed because it was spraying." Narita pointed out.

"But they do pee on things to mark their territory." Ennoshita added.

"Do you think humans ever did that?" Narita asked.

I thought for a second. Monkeys don't do that so i don't think humans would.

I shook my head, "I think it's more of a dog thing."

"We've been around for a long time though..." Narita thought.

"Yeah but we weren't around long enough to evolve out of it." Ennoshita countered.

"You don't know that. We were around long enough for blue eyes to become a common genetic mutation." Narita said accusingly.

The two continued their little debate, slowly changing the subject to school lunch somehow. With the dogs around they weren't like this. It almost seemed like they had a sibling like relationship when they were alone with each other. From what little I heard apparently they quit the team last year along with Kinoshita because of my grandpa's coaching. They must have been close last year as well.

I picked at my food, beginning to miss the friends I had back at Nekoma. I'm sure I'll see them again soon, my dad has been talking up the battle of the trash pile for quite a while now. I looked up at the two in front of me, still peacefully debating about the daily nutrition of the school lunch and how it could affect a student. I wondered how they felt about Volleyball now.

"Hey guys," i paused when they stopped and looked at me, "I know you thought last year was rough but how do you feel about Volleyball this year?"

I could see Ennoshita thinking for just a second before he answered, "It's exciting for me. Last year when I stopped showing up to practice it was relieving at first but the longer I spent not playing or practicing the more i felt like i was missing something." He paused for a second and Narita nodded his head, "Watching the first years makes me envious but I'm happy to be playing at all."

Narita sat quietly for a second and nodded again, "I do feel jealous about the first years playing more than I do. But I know with them on the court we'll have a better chance of winning."

"I understand that. I had to change positions due to the size of the team at Nekoma and because of that I wasn't the best. If a better setter had joined the team I know that i would have given away my spot. I cost the team a lot of games because of me incompetence as a setter." I said grimly.

"Well that's why we practice, isn't it? To be better for our team?" Ennoshita smiled.

I smiled back and nodded, "Yeah. I hope by the time next year comes around I'll be good for the team."

"That's the spirit!" Ennoshita cheered. I caught Narita looking at Ennoshita with pride. It made my heart swell a little.

I looked at the time on my watch and stretched, "I'll see you guys at practice."

The boys nodded and said their goodbyes. I bid mine and opened the door to be met with the dogs.

I let out a sigh, nearly expecting this. I handed my lunch to Nishinoya who took it with confusion and when i had both hands free i grabbed them both by the ears and pulled them down the hallway to Nishinoyas' class.

"I asked you two for privacy!" I let go and started scolding them, "Why can't i have that liberty? I wanted the chance to talk to the other members of the team alone! I let you guys come the first week so you could understand that nothing was happening but it is absolutely ridiculous that you felt like you couldn't not only trust me but your other teammates." I sighed and took my lunch from Nishinoya, "Thank you for holding this." I turned and continued down to me and Tanakas class. When i looked back at the boys they were looking at each other while holding their ears, both with shocked looks on their face.

I rolled my eyes and sat at my desk with a huff. Watabe slid a chip on my desk with a small smile gracing her face. I smiled back and ate it. It's hard to be upset when you're around her.

09/07/20
Wc: 1166
unedited