5

The spiker would toss me a ball and approach the net as i was setting it to them, once they hit it either Daichi or Nishinoya would dig it, trying to get it to the ball cart on their side.

This system worked out pretty well and Daichi was able to help me out a bit with my form and the spikers were able to communicate how they wanted the ball set.

By the end of the practice i could feel a bead of sweat run down my back. Maybe I should start wearing shorter sleeved outfits to practice if I'm going to be moving around.

"You did great Sakai." Daichi said across the net from me.

"Oh, thank you." I bowed with my head and started picking up the stray balls around the court.

"You said you were a wing spiker in middle school, right?" Asahi said, helping put balls in the cart.

I hate to admit it but i was still a bit cautious around Asahi, "Yeah, I was."

"I wanted to practice my sets a little, if you wanted to spike."

I furrowed my eyebrows, "Why do you want to practice sets? You shouldn't have to worry about it much as an ace."

Asahi scratched the back of his head, "Well I know how nice it feels getting to spike and I'm sure you do too, so i thought it might be cool if we switched positions."

"Oh so I get to be the ace of Karasuno?" I smirked.

He furrowed his eyebrows, "We'll just have to see how good you are." He smiled, grabbed a ball off the floor and threw it at me.

I caught it and tilted my head. I noticed the other boys had left already. They must have cleaned up what they needed to.

"Just like we were doing earlier, there's just no one to receive it this time." he explained.

I nodded and tossed him the ball. It's been a while since I've spiked. I can't even remember the way the ball felt on my hand or the steps i have to take to the net.

I watched him set and started my approach, I jumped and closed my eye and swung waiting in anticipation of the ball hitting my hand.

But it never did, however it did hit me on the side of the head.

I caught the ball on my descent back to the floor and looked at it for a second before looking back up at Asahi who looked like he was going to jump out the window.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to when you were-" I cut him off with a laugh.

His eyebrows raised then he smiled as well.

"Sorry, it's been a long time since I've hit, let's do another." I waved it off and tossed him a ball.

He caught it, still watching me, "I didn't hurt you, did I?"

The attention made my ears red, "Yeah, no worries. I've been hit worse."

He nodded and threw the ball back to me.

This time I watched the ball and made my approach.

Step, step, stop, jump, HIT!

"I HIT IT!" I exclaimed looking at my hand.

"There's some progress!" Asahi cheered with me.

"It was weak, let's do it again." I tossed the ball, watched him set, took my approach and hit it again. It felt the same though.

I frowned a little and looked to him for help, "It still felt weak." I held my hand open, just as it was when I hit the ball.

His eyebrows raised when he noticed that I was basically asking for help, "Oh! Well when you swing you're not swinging through all the way, it looks like you're stopping almost right after you hit it. So when you hit the ball you want it to look like this."