10

I laid on the floor, breathing heavy.

the second year dogs and the third years decided to stay after to practice so i got to practice as well. It was easy until Daichi stopped the spiking drills to announce he noticed we had enough people to do a three on three. at first i was really excited, it was my first time playing in any kind of game since last year. however since it was third years vs second years i was playing against asahi.

My arms were bright red from attempting to receive his spikes. i had never had so much fun playing a three on three. the boys were resting on the sidelines while i sat in the middle of the right court, smiling at the ceiling like an idiot. The bright lights shone down, nearly blinding me, thought i couldn't focus on the lights when my heartbeat was so loud in my ears.

My light was obstructed by someone who stood above me, holding their hand out. It took my eyes a second to adjust but when i finally saw the face that was smiling down at me i couldn't help but to smile back. he looked creepy as hell.

i took Asahi's hand and he effortlessly pulled me up, "Take this, you haven't drank water all practice." he handed me a water bottle.

i waterfalled the water into my mouth and handed it back, "thank you."

"no problem," he scratched the back of his neck, "and uh... sorry about the spikes, i can go easy if you want." he offered, looking at my arms with worried eyes.

"i'll need your powerful spikes if i want to be on the girls team next year. as a third year it'll be hard to catch up if i always have easy practices." I smiled and pat his shoulder.

Nishinoya ran up, excited, "You did good receiving his spikes! especially for someone who's never done it before! we'll just have to work on diving."

I nodded enthusiastically, "Okay. what time is it? we should do that next time, you guys should get home and rest."

Nishinoya sulked a little but nodded.

"we've been practicing for nearly an hour." Asahi said, looking at the clock on the wall.

my eyes flew open, "Really?" i looked at him in disbelief before looking at the clock, "I'm sorry i kept you all here so late." i bowed to everyone.

"Hey, it's no problem. we wouldn't have stayed if we didn't want to practice." Daichi pat my back.

"I am a bit tired though, let's take down." Sugawara said, going to a pole to take the net down.

I went to the storage room and got the pole cart and the nets spider, trying to help the boys out as best i could. As Asahi and Tanaka put the poles away me and Sugawara put the net on its spider.

"Thank you all so much for letting me practice with you." i bowed and Daichi pulled me up.

"We're glad you practiced with us, don't make it seem like we're doing charity work." he pat my shoulder, "let's get our stuff and head out." the other boys nodded and all walked out together, talking amongst themselves. i followed behind them, smiling at how close they were with each other. I pushed the door shut, noticing how hard it's been to close and open it.

After everyone had gotten their things we walked out of the school gates. the air was refreshingly cold, cooling down my body that was still pumping with adrenaline. Nishinoya and Tanaka were playing tag, clearly also still full of adrenaline.

"Sometimes I think of you as another third year. You can be much more mature than our second years." Daichi watched the two chasing after each other.

Nishinoya came up to me and tagged me, "Catch me if you can!" he called out in a singsong voice.

i grinned and gave Daichi a playful look before running after Noya who was now screaming as i chased him.

"Ah... yes... i meant it when i said sometimes..." He watched the three of us second years messing around in the street.

Sugawara fell into step with his captain, his eyes following us in the street as well, "So can i stay at your house again tonight?"

"Don't you need to get stuff from your house?" Daichi raised an eyebrow, now focusing on his fellow third year.

"Nah, you've got everything i need." Suga grinned.

Daichi rolled his eyes but nodded anyway, "Yeah, my mom will be glad to see you again."

The two had continued talking but i was just out of earshot from them. As i was passing an alleyway on my pursuit of Noya i heard a noise that started me. the others must have not heard it because it was so quiet but my curiosity got the best of me and i started walking down it, looking for what made the noise.

Suddenly i was pulled back and in shock and fear and turned and punched the person in the gut. poor Tanaka let out a grunt and doubled over in pain.

"I- i'm sorry i got scared..." i fell down to his level and held him by the shoulders. he nodded, not replying. i looked up at the others who noticed what was going on when they heard tanaka's groan. they all looked in shock which made my ears heat up.

"Why didn't you just scream like a normal girl... Is this what all city girls are like?" Tanaka asked painfully, holding his stomach with one arm and supporting his body with the other.

"Tetsuro liked to scare me a lot so i eventually just started punching him and it's just a fear response now... i'm sorry..." i tried comforting him until a black cat that looked like a mini panther walked out from behind me, rubbing up against my side. i gasped as i looked into his copper eyes.

"Oh speaking of Tetsuro this looks just like him!" i pet the cat and pulled up Tanaka, putting the cat into his arms, "Let me get a picture of him. him?" i looked underneath the cat, "Her. Sorry Kit." I took the picture of the cat and Tanaka, who was still recovering from the punch to the gut.

"Cute!" I took the cat out of his arms and sat it down.

"We should get you home. you're lucky it was just a cat and not a drunkard." Daichi grabbed my hand, leading me out of the alleyway, Tanaka following behind.

"Sorry, I'll get one of you guys next time i hear a noise in the alley." i smiled and Daichi gave a half assed smiled back.

"I'm sure Noya would be up for the job." Daichi smiled at the short second year.

"I mean I'll protect her but um... i think that Asahi would be better at intimidation, so you can ask him." Nishinoya offered.

"N-no guys i don't think I would be very good at that..." Asahi was practically shaking at the thought of it.

"I'll just ask my brave captain!" i grinned.

Daichi's eyebrows raised and he cleared his throat, "Well yes, I suppose I could help." I snickered at how he suddenly started acting, though he didn't notice.

"Are you guys gonna get anything before you go home?" i asked as we arrived at the store. the boys looked around, unsure if they were going to get anything.

"I'll get something if a cute girl is my cashier." Nishinoya grinned playfully.

I thought for a second, "My aunt is working, she might be your type."

The others started pushing him around and teasing him about liking older girls. I rolled my eyes and smiled, "If no one is getting anything then i'll see you all tomorrow!" i waved and walked up the stairs to the house.

When i got in i saw my dad on the couch, playing with his lighter while watching tv.

"Have you had dinner yet?" i sat my bag down on the couch next to him.

He shook his head, "Can you make noodles of some kind?"

I nodded and hunted through the cabinets pulling out a few ingredients, wanting to eat, shower and go to sleep. i only spent about thirty minutes making dinner which isn't too bad. I put the noodles and meat in a bowl and sat two servings down, packing up and extra for my aunt and heading downstairs quickly to get it to her.

"Thank you for dinner." My dad said before absolutely demolishing the food. I finished as quickly as i could as well just for the chance to get bathed as soon as possible.

09/13/20
wc: 1464
lightly edited
A/n it feels like the chapters are too short