26

I wanted out. Out of this small, stuffy two bedroom apartment. I threw some stuff into my bag, went to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle off the top of the fridge and slipped out the side door.

We planned to meet at the nearby playground, far enough away from my house that my dad wouldn't see or hear us.

I was the first one at the playground so I set up what we had planned.

"Hey Hoshiko, I brought the candles." I heard Tanaka call out from the entrance of the playground.

I was sitting on the highest platform near the monkey bars.

"Heads up!" He whisper-shouted and after lifting my head up I could see two white cylinders flying towards me.

I let out a small yelp as I dropped what was in my hands to catch the candles, "Jeez, you couldn't have given a better warning?" I huffed out, still a little upset about the argument with my dad.

"My bad. I didn't see you had something in your hands." He said, climbing onto the other side of the monkey bars and sitting on the top.

"You know you can come sit over here. Don't take what my dad said so seriously." I frowned.

He adjusted himself to rest his feet comfortably, "Yeah, I know. I just don't want to disrespect your dad's wishes."

"Well he's not here to even see. So you're really only disrespecting me right now." I growled, throwing a glare at him.

"You know that's not what I'm doing." Tanaka huffed.

"Why does it even matter to you that much? I mean did our friendship mean that little? You've been avoiding me all day so easily." I said, a lot of anger slipping from my voice as the sentence went on.

"Hoshiko... I-" he dropped down from the monkey bars and sat beside me, "I... value you a lot. So I want to be in good standings with your father." He said, picking up one of my hands and holding it between both of his.

"Plus, your dad is my coach and I don't want to get benched." He said with a frown.

I rolled my eyes and pushed him away from me, "You 'A' hole." I said with a small smile on my face.

"You guys didn't start without me, did you?" Nishinoya yelled from the other side of the playground.

"No! I'm just finishing setting everything up!" I replied, putting everything in its place.

"Good. I was able to snag one of my moms lighters." Noya said, hopping up to sit with us, "Tanaka! I can't believe you're sitting next to Hoshiko, that's mad disrespectful to her dad."

"Would both of you shut up about that?" I growled, taking the lighter and lighting the candles.

"Okay, it's ready now." I said, scooting back a little.

I had laid out an Ouija board to use on the playground. We decided it would be the best place to do it just in case.

None of us actually believed in ghosts but staring at the board instilled a fear into me that I've only experienced a couple times.

"Why do you even have this?" Tanaka asked as I pulled out the Little heart shaped planchette.

"Me and my neighbors were dumb kids." I smiled, placing the planchette in the middle, "My mom almost killed me when she found out I had this." I said with a grimace.

"Okay so what do we do?" Noya asked as both of them scooted closer to the board.

"We'll just all are hands on the planchette, ask some questions and don't let go until we say goodbye." I said, with emphasis on 'don't'.