(18)

=====

Today, it was Fukurodani against Karasuno, and the teams just hit their 10-minute break after finishing their coaches' harsh drills. Shouyou whined and pulled at Shimizu's pants leg, drawing her attention from her clipboard to the sweaty, panting Neko.

He has been doing a lot more running around and jumping than the others. In all honesty, she's planning on confronting the team about it when they huddle up because, even though the drills were only a little harsher than usual, Shouyou looks like he's about to die.

The other team noticed it and decided to confront the coach. Akaashi walked over to Shouyou and pulled him off of the floor, holding him in his arms and against his chest. He could feel the ginger's rapid heartbeat and frowned.

"Coach Ukai," he called out, bowing slightly to Kiyoko as he walked over to him. "What is it?" He asked, looking at Shouyou, then at Akaashi. "You're relying on Shouyou too much," simply stated the black-haired male, bouncing Shouyou slightly to try and calm him more.

"Hmm? Don't worry! He can handle it! He'll be up and raring to go in no... time..." Ukai stopped his sentence short, thinking back to their practices before, and the ones they switched to before the camp started.

It was true. He wasn't paying enough attention, and now it's coming to bite him in the ass. Shouyou does have a hard job. He basically has to run around the entire court throughout the whole game and still be ready to spike when Kageyama sets to him. The support.

Yet, he does the entire thing with a smile. He truly, really loves volleyball.

"Sir, I think you need to talk to your team about setting up a new play," Akaashi stated firmly, ducking his head and walking back to his team with Shouyou in his arms. "Is he okay?" Coach Takeyuki questioned, tucking his clipboard under his arm and feeling Shouyou's forehead.

"He didn't mean to push him so hard. I think they were just desperate for a play with enough support for the front row and used Shouyou without thinking of the consequences."

The ginger's grip on Akaashi tightened slightly and he licked the sweat away from the black-haired male's shoulder. Akaashi tried not to let it get to him.

"Yeah, Ukai isn't the kind of person to push someone so hard."

They looked back at Karasuno, who seemed to be getting told the situation. Grim expressions covered their faces, especially Kageyama's. He looked more ashamed than any of them.

"Well, in any case, I think we should go ahead and call it quits today. You guys have done more than enough today, and we shouldn't push you too hard," Coach Takeyuki stated, waved the team off.

"Someone get Bokuto from the bathroom, please. Tell him we're letting you out an hour early."

The coach walked over to Ukai to tell him the news. "Ah, Akaashi-Kun, I can take Shouyou for you if you want me to," Kaori announced, holding her hands out to the little ginger with an awaiting face.

"It's okay. I'm going to get his clothes and make sure he gets cleaned up properly. Thank you, though." She frowned and huffed. "Fine, Yukie and I will head to our room, then. Drop him by once you're done because us managers wanted to pamper him a little."

Akaashi sweat dropped. "Aren't you babying him too much? He is a high schooler, you know." She deadpanned and pointed to his arms, which were holding Shouyou against his body. "You lowkey went over there and scooped him up. I don't wanna hear anything from you, Mr."

He gulped and said his goodbyes, walking toward Karasuno's locker room at a fast pace. "Sorry, Akaashi-Senpai," Shouyou cried, his face tucked deep into Akaashi's nape. "For what? This isn't your fault, you know."

"It is. I was practicing at night in secret because I wanted to be strong enough to fit the role everyone gave me, but my legs just stopped moving..." A soft, almost inaudible sob left Shouyou's lips, his ears falling against his head and his tail wrapping itself around Akaashi's arm.

"Thank you, Akaashi-Senpai, seriously," he muttered. It was obvious his muscles were aching. "It's nothing you should be thanking me for, Shouyou. I'm just looking out for a fellow volleyball player."

Akaashi opened the door to the locker room, and all eyes were immediately on him. "Ah, Shouyou!" Nishinoya reached out to Shouyou, giving him a pat on the back as if to show he was sorry, but it had the opposite effect.

"Ow..." Shouyou hissed, clutching tighter to the back of Akaashi's uniform with his nails. They couldn't see his face, but, by the way his ears were down, Karasuno could tell that Shouyou wasn't happy.

"Sorry, Shou! Really, I'm so sorry!" Nishinoya cried, and he meant it. Akaashi sighed and walked past him. He had his own stuff to do, after all. "Can I have Shouyou's bag, please?" He asked Sugawara, who glanced at Shouyou's small back, then at Akaashi.

He nodded sadly, going over to Shouyou's locker and popping it open to take his bag out. He handed it to Akaashi, who thanked him.

"Don't worry. He's just in a lot of pain right now. I'm sure once he's rested he'll come around," Akaashi said, hoping to offer some sort of support to the team. None of them responded, only watching the ginger's pained face as Akaashi opened the door and left.

=====

A/n:

Um, this chapter ended up running a little short, so I'll be sure to make the next one extra-long ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)