5| SHE'S GOT A GUN

"I'm really glad we're getting to hang out

"I'm really glad we're getting to hang out." Kie said honestly as she walked side by side with Bali, "The only time I knew you, you were completely different."

Kie and Bali spoke a little freshman year when she wasn't herself at all but that had really only been it.

"Times have changed, I guess." she used the excuse with a shrug, "I just figured you never wanted to talk or anything."

"No, it's not that. I just worry, and get anxious with Sarah around you all the time." Kie said honestly as she squinted from the sun, "And you two are so close."

"We haven't talked as much lately, honestly." Bali said back with a tight lipped smile, "After what happened with Topper and John B... I don't know, i'm just disappointed in her for not calling it off between them after that."

"Completely understandable. I mean, that was my real psycho shit." Kie said honestly as they set their chairs up, Pope and JJ not too far behind, "I don't mind you hanging around, mainly because you've helped us out a lot. But this hunt we're on is really important to us. If anything happens or goes wrong because we involve you-"

"It won't." Bali cut her off, "I get it. I'm not trying to take over or become apart of the four of you either. I just want to help John B with his dad and you guys get the gold, and if being a distraction is that important then i'm down for that."

Kie gave her a half grin, "You want anything from the stand?"

"A grape soda." Bali smiled as Kie walked off.

"Damn, you got through mama bear? Scary." JJ said as he laid the blanket across the itchy grass, looking up at her and flicking her ankle.

"People tend to soften up around me." Bali said back, kicking her sandles off.

"Not me, I get h-" JJ began before Pope yanked his ear lope harshly to shut him up.

"Are you even, like, okay to hang out with us here?" Pope questioned Bali as she sat down with a odd look. Pope looked around, "This is Kook territory."

Bali checked her surroundings, "My parents aren't here."

"No, but your friends are." Pope said back with a eyebrow raise.

"I have one friend, and I don't see her." Bali said with a snap of her fingers, "Aren't you suppose to have the brain cells?"

"Oh, she got you there." JJ laughed as he tapped Popes arm.

"Just saw Rafe." Kie said with a annoyed smile, handing Bali her grape soda, "He said, and I quote, 'tell your boy that we know what he did.' What is that?"

"What a weirdo." Bali said as she opened the can, "Probably all those drugs talking for him, freaking weirdo. He should be worrying about his own boy."

"Um, where is he?" JJ asked with a clear of his throat.

"Right there." Kie nodded over her shoulder. The three all turned to look back at Rafe, Topper, and Kelce standing a few feet away. Bali made eye contact with Topper as he gave her a questionable look, making her turn back around. She didn't want to feel weird hanging around pogues, not after they'd been the only people that had bothered to talk to her recently. But it was hard, especially when she could basically hear her mother and fathers lecture on reputation and how she will mess up the family.