... 011

"Sunday, October second, 1994" officer Goode started pressing play on the recorder. "want to tell me what happened"

"we were picking up Sam's prescription. And the lights went out. It was pitch black. We could hardly see." Emilia lied "We ducked behind the counter after hearing some glass breaking, and we all hid there until it was over"

"What happened to your head" he said gesturing to her head "I slipped on some glass" Emilia crossing her arms.

"I'll tell you what the facts tell me. the junkies" Nick started "they were not junkies, they were Kate- Kate and Simon, and they were the nicest people I've ever met" Emilia said leaning forwards.

"they are to blame for everything. that feels too easy to me, but that's the story this department will go with unless you can help me to see it differently" The sheriff said.

"yeah of course it does, because you'll do anything to make shadyside seem worse than Sunnyvale" Emilia said resting back in her seat "do you really want your friends going down for this" He said "no, but there is nothing I can do about it" emilia said clenching her teeth.

"I thought you hated shadysiders, What were you doing hanging out with a group of them" sheriff goode asked tapping his foot against the ground.

Emilia let out a scoff, sitting up a bit. "I don't hate shadysiders, and I never said that I did. I was with them because I don't just abandon my best friend" Emilia shot daggers at the man.

Nick Goode shifted in his seat "alright that's it for today" he said pressing the stop button.

"Hey you, let me out" some guy said looking over at Emilia and Josh, each ignoring him.

"oh, so I'm a bad guy because I'm in here. Then that makes you a bad guy too" The guys said causing Emilia to let out a sigh "I'm not a bad guy, I was just ignoring you because you kinda smell" Emilia said digging her hand in the paper clip bin then tossing one over to the dude.

"let's go" Deena said taking Emilia's attention away from the dude. Emilia watched Josh get up before she also got up and walked out.

Emilia walked out of the police station taking a deep breath as she stood in the parking lot, the fresh air hitting her nose.

"Emilia" Emilia looked over at the boy as he slowly walked towards her. Nathan.

Emilia walked up to her older brother and pulled him into a hug. The boy was a bit hesitant before he hugged her back.

The moment Emilia got home she laid in bed, and she stayed there. She watched as he brother walked in and out of her room a few times.

The first time her came in he grabbed her laundry basket where the green shirt, now turned red, sat at the top. Probably going to wash them.

The second time he came in with a plate of food telling her 'she should eat something'. Of course she didn't eat it.

The third time was hours later when he came in holding her laundry basket. The green shirt folder neatly at the top, now the green it was when she found it in the lost and found bucket the day before.

The fourth time was maybe half an hour later, but this time he didn't come in, he just opened the door slightly and poked his head through the crack. "Hey Em, dinners ready" he said waiting for a response.

"I'll be down in a minute" Emilia said slowly looking up at the boy.

This time Emilia got up. Slowly making her way down the stairs her eyes landed on Nathan as he sat at the table lightly tapping his fork against the table. She noticed a sign of relief wash over his face when he noticed her standing at the bottom of the stairs.

Suddenly the phone rang from beside Emilia causing the girl to lightly jump.

Emilia dropped her head down for a moment. Just the phone.

She turned to the phone pulling it off the wall and placing it to her ear "hello" she practically whispered.

"Emilia" emilia paused. Deena? "Something happened"