Chapter two

They arrive at an apartment complex. Bucky parked under a carport that he shared with his neighbors. He got out, and instinctively walked over to Zemo's side. Zemo had already opened his door, and was getting out.
"Oh, I was going to get your door for you."
"I'm alright, I can still open doors." Zemo laughs softly
"That's not the point, but if you want to get your own door that's fine too." Bucky laughs again, getting a blush, and a giggle from Zemo, before he groans, and grabs at his stomach.
"Maybe we shouldn't laugh so much yet." Bucky takes Zemo's hand, And walks around to the trunk. He pulls Zemo's bag out.
"I can carry my stuff."
"No, I've got it." Bucky says closing the trunk before leading Zemo into the building. It was positioned partially on a hill so they walked in on the second floor. His was the last door on the right. Bucky fumbled with his keys for a moment before opening the green colored door, and motions Zemo to pass him, and go in.
"Such a gentleman. Getting doors for me, and carrying my things." Zemo smirks playfully. Bucky looks down, smiling, and  blushing. So he does get it. Bucky thought.  That was the one of the main reasons Bucky had tried to open the car door for him. Zemo wiped his shoes on the welcome mat first. Not only did it say welcome, but it had a cat printed on it. Zemo smiles at it.
"Cute." He says as he steps over the threshold, and onto another plain blue rug inside. He looked up at the living space he'd stepped into. It was a nice sized apartment. The wall to Zemo's immediate right was bare. There was a closet door about two, or three steps in front of him. The floor between the two doors was tiled, likely for dirty shoes. The walls were all white, and the rest of the room was carpeted; like a sea of Khaki. There was a navy blue reclining chair to his left; it sat catercorner between the closet, and the sofa that lined the back wall. It was gray in color, and there was a matching chase against the far left wall.
Above the couch was a long opening to the kitchen. It had a countertop on it. The living area, and dining area were in the same space. Bucky had a round table in the corner across from the kitchen. There were only two chairs at the table. Between the table, and chase was a glass, sliding door that led to a small balcony. Bucky had put shutter blinds over the sliding door. Zemo took a step in further, allowing Bucky space to enter. Bucky closed the door, and locked it behind him while Zemo was taking his shoes off on the tile. He didn't want to step on the carpet with his shoes.
Bucky turned to take his own shoes off, noting Zemo's purple socks, and smiling to himself. Bucky's own socks were black, like most of his wardrobe. Zemo stepped onto the carpet, it was soft, and plush. He went into the middle of the living room, and turned to see a TV on an entertainment stand against the wall opposite the couch.
"I'm not sure why, but I didn't think you would have any furniture."
"Sam helped me with most of this." Bucky laughs softly, and steps beside Zemo.
"Well this is my living room, and dining room. It's probably not what your used to, bu-"
"I've been in prison for a long time...it's wonderful, James." Zemo smiles softly.
  "Right." Bucky rubs the back of his neck awkwardly. He remembered how extravagant Zemo's apartment was in Riga, as well as all the cars he owns. Zemo was right, however, he'd been in prison eight years prior to that, and it had only been a year since Bucky had last seen him, so this probably was better than what he was used to at this point. Zemo realized his comment had made things a bit awkward.
"It was nice of Sam to help you find good furniture, it must be different then the styles of the 40's." Zemo smiles sweetly trying to move the subject away from prison.
"Y-yeah, definitely. It's a lot nicer. Everyone had floral prints." Bucky says as though he couldn't stand floral print. Zemo laughed softly, getting a smile from Bucky.
"Yeah, like, floral print everything." He started to laugh with Zemo.
"Sam said people switched it up, but a lot of folks in the 70's still used floral print on furniture."
"I'm not fond of it either."
"I mean I thought it was ugly back then, my mom had the ugliest floral sofa." Bucky laughs a little harder at the memory.
"Sam is a good friend, how is he?" Zemo asks after gathering himself.
"He's good, just busy with all the new cap stuff. He's doing great with it though, I knew he would."
"I'm glad he got you two dining chairs."
"Yeah that will come in handy now." Bucky smirks.
"I really like the whole open concept thing. Combining the living, and dining room is really great. Most homes back in the day weren't built like this."
"That's why a lot of older homes end up remodeled."
"While I was looking for a new apartment, I checked out some older homes that were built back then. Once the realtor's knew who I was, they would always bring up how everything was original." Bucky sighs, getting another giggle from Zemo.
"Yep." Bucky laughs
"This is the kitchen." It was a small kitchen that seemed more like a kitchenette. There was a pantry to their right, just before the kitchen's threshold. Zemo stepped onto the tiled flooring. To his left was a fridge, the top portion being a freezer. Beside the fridge was an oven with a gas stove. There were some counters, and cabinets. Directly in front of him was a sink, and next to that on the last counter, was a microwave.
"I know it's not much." Bucky rubs the back of his neck again.
"It's lovely. I don't think two people can cook here at once, but it's fine." Zemo smiles reassuringly. He turned to his right to check out the opening in the wall above the sofa. One gets a good view of the TV from here.
"You won't miss anything while you cook."
"Sam said that's his favorite part about this place. 'You can cook, and watch the game.'" Bucky said quoting Sam. Bucky stepped out of the kitchen, and motions Zemo to follow him down the short hallway past the kitchen. He pointed to the door on the right side.
"Bathroom." Then Bucky pointed to the door at the end, in front of him.
"My room." He then opened the door to his right.
"And you can stay here." Bucky led Zemo into what was his guest room. It was smaller than the other bedroom, most likely meant for a child. There was a bed against the wall to Zemo's right. A window on the back wall across from the bed, as well as a window on the wall opposite the bed on the far right side. It looked out onto the balcony.
"Thank you, James." Zemo smiles softly, looking a little tired. Bucky put Zemo's bag down on the ground beside the bed.
"Don't worry about your things right now, you should rest."
"I'm alright." Zemo said, taking a seat on the bed. He wanted to lean down, and unpack what belongings he had, but once he felt how comfortable the bed was he lost interest.
"You really weren't ready to leave, but I couldn't convince him to let you stay there longer. I can grab you something more comfortable to sleep in, and you should just take it easy for a while. I'll be right back." Bucky leaves the room, giving Zemo a moment alone to look around at the bare walls. Similar to prison... Zemo thought. I'll have to put something on the walls. Bucky returned with a pair of pajamas.
"I bought these for you, while you were unconscious, I-I hope that's not...weird."
"Not at all." Zemo smiles, and shakes his head.
"It was thoughtful." He reaches out, and Bucky hands him the clothes.
"They are silk." Zemo smirks. Running his hand over the purple button up, and shorts.
"I thought you'd like that...I wasn't sure what size so I just sort of guessed..." Bucky blushes softly.
"I do like them." Zemo stood up.
"Stay here, I'll go change, and show it off to you." He said, still holding that playful smirk. What have I done? Bucky thought, laughing to himself. Zemo crossed the hall into the bathroom. He changed, and freshened up a bit. Once Zemo was back in his room Bucky couldn't help but laugh. The clothes he'd gotten, Zemo, were a bit big. Sleeves hanging down passed his fingers. He'd left the top button undone leaving a large v shaped opening of exposed skin.
"I'm sorry." Bucky tried to stop himself.
"It's alright." Zemo blushes as he climbs into bed, and pulls the blankets back before laying down. Bucky smiles softly, as he pulls the blankets back up over Zemo.
"You don't need to tuck me in." He laughs softly.
"I will if I want to." Bucky smirks.
"Just holler if you need anything alright." Bucky walks over to the door.
"Light on or off?"
"Off, please." Zemo says, closing his eyes. Bucky turns the light off, and leaves the door open a crack so he would be sure to hear Zemo calling him, if needed.
                                    ~
Zemo woke up suddenly when he felt something small walking across the bed. He turned his head to the left, and found himself nose to nose with a white cat.
"Hello." He smiles, and whispers, letting the cat smell him. The welcome mat at the front door made more sense to him now. The cat had pale blue eyes similar to Bucky. Curiously the cat climbed onto his chest. He was concerned it would walk down his body, and step on the wound, so he lifted his right hand, and gently stroked the length of the cat's body. It flinched, and wasn't sure of him at first, but then began to purr, and laid down on his chest. Zemo soon realized this was the type of cat that liked to be in your face. It's paws were folded underneath its body.
  Zemo continued to pet the cat, and listen to its purr. He soon fell asleep again. Bucky quietly snuck in to check on him. He smiles seeing Zemo's already befriended the cat. Pulling his phone from his pocket he took a picture. Bucky just couldn't resist. It was too cute.
"Good girl." He whispered to the cat before leaving the room again. Bucky walked out to the living room, and sat down. He had the tv on a low volume not wanting to disturb Zemo at all. When his phone started to ring he answered it quickly without really looking to see who it was, as he's forgotten to silence the ringer. 
"Hello?"
"Hey." Sam's voice answered.
"Hey, sorry I haven't called. I was a little...Busy."
"It's okay I was too. So what happened with Zemo?" Sam asks, which Bucky was hoping he'd forgotten about.
"Oh um...about that..."
"Why are you sounding weird...weirder?"
"I'm not being weird."
"Yes you are. Anytime you talk like that it means you're hiding something, so what is it, what happened? You let him go didn't you?"
"Sort of..."
"What do you mean 'sort of?' You tried to catch him, and he got away on his own? Or you let him go? There's a difference."
"I caught him, but-"
"But you let him go?" Sam sighs tiredly.
"N-not exactly..."
"On my life! Just tell me what happened!" Sam was getting a little annoyed.
"He's here...with me..."
"...what?..." he sounded monotone.
"He was shot...I took him to see doctor-"
"You took him to our doctor!? Our wakandan doctor!?"
"Yeah, and he helped."
"What!?"
"Yes he said-"
"Okay, Bucky I know you like to joke around with me, but-"
"I'm not joking, Sam. What about that would even be funny?" There was a pause before Sam spoke again.
"Buck, I don't think he would have forgotten that Zemo killed their king, ya know T'challa's father!"
"No he hasn't, but we talked about it, and he said it was on me if anything goes wrong; so far everything has been fine. He saved Zemo, and let him stay a couple nights, but that was it, so I took him to my place."
"How in the hell did you convince him to help?"
"He's a doctor Sam. he's not going to just let someone die, no matter who they are. He was going to save Zemo regardless. I just had to convince him not to turn Zemo in."
"Why?"
"The same reason you, and Steve convinced the government not to lock me up."
"That's different-"
"How is it different?"
"You were under mind control, man!"
"Yeah, but the Avengers destroyed Sokovia without any consequences...besides Zemo. He's a direct consequence of that..." Bucky sighs.
"I guess, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't face consequences either."
"Sam please just hear me out...Sharon called it hypocritical that we were pardoned, and she wasn't. All because we're 'superheroes.' I may have been under hydra's control, but I still did all that horrible stuff. I know I had no choice, but they still pardoned me over her...so why not Zemo. If I can have a second chance why can't he..."
"Buck..." Sam sighs.
"I'll call you back." Sam hangs up. Bucky sighs, and puts his phone down.
"James?" Zemo's voice was a soft whisper. Bucky looked over his right shoulder, seeing Zemo standing beside the couch carrying the cat.
"I'm sorry, did I wake you?"
"No." Zemo smiles sweetly, getting a suspicious look from Bucky.
"A little..." he admits.
"Was that Sam?"
"Yeah."
"You told him I'm here?" Zemo both sounded, and looked fearful. Bucky pats the cushions next to him for Zemo to sit. Zemo took the seat beside him, and set the cat in his lap. She started to walk back, and forth between them as they pet her.
"I did."
"He wasn't happy, I'm sure."
"No." Bucky sighs, and shakes his head.
"James?" Zemo puts his hand on Bucky's left arm. His emotions were clear on his face. He had heard most of the conversation, Bucky's side at least. 
"I don't think Sam will-"
"I heard what you said...'' Zemo lowers his head now. He couldn't bring himself to look Bucky in the eyes.
"I-I don't deserve your kindness, or your pity..."
"Zemo...I didn't think that at first either. About myself, or about you; not at first. I didn't hate you, I understand why you did what you did. I was angry Sure, but I never hated you."  Bucky explains. Zemo kept his head bowed in shame, and remorse.
"Besides, you want to go on that date with me right?" Bucky asks, placing his right hand over Zemo's. Zemo looks up at Bucky again, and nods. Bucky smiles at him, causing Zemo to smile as well.
"See it's alright, everyone deserves another chance." Bucky gives Zemo's hand a gentle squeeze. Zemo brought his legs up onto the couch, and sat on his knees facing Bucky. His eyes were watering.
"Sam won't turn me in, right?" Zemo may have just told Bucky to save his pity, but truth be told Zemo didn't want to go back. Bucky shakes his head.
"No he won't."
"Are you sure, no one will come for me?"
"I'm sure." Bucky says although he really wasn't sure. Not completely. The tears started falling, and Zemo wrapped his arms around Bucky's waist, and buried his face into Bucky's chest. The cat sensing he was in distress, started to rub her body against Zemo's thighs. Bucky was shocked, and hesitant for a moment before he reciprocated the hug.
"Please, James!" Zemo's voice was a bit muffled, as he cried.
"Please, don't make me go!"
"I'm not, you heard what I said, you deserve better than that. If the world can forgive me it can forgive you." Bucky held him a little closer, and tighter.
"Don't let them take me!" The crying shifted into whimpers of pain. Bucky placed his right hand in the back of Zemo's head, and stroked his hair gently. He noted how soft it was.
"Shh, don't cry. I'm not going to let anyone take you, I promise." What the hell happened? Bucky thought. He wasn't like this at all before...he recalled Zemo's expression, and demeanor, before the Dora milaje took him to the raft. Bucky had pointed a gun in Zemo's face, only for him to welcome it. You wanted me to kill you...Bucky closed his eyes for a moment, holding Zemo, and stroking his hair. When he'd helped Zemo escape the first time Zemo seemed like a typical arrogant aristocrat. He was hospitable, but also snobbish, Bucky had thought. The last thing he's expecting was to have Zemo here sobbing, and trembling on his couch. Bucky made a few more shushing sounds before the crying slowed to soft whimpers here, and there. The convulsing slowed to a stop as well, and Zemo groaned softly from pain.
"Sit up." Bucky says softly, getting Zemo to lift his head, and let go.
"Let me see." Bucky says, unbuttoning the  first button, that was actually buttoned on Zemo's top. Bucky paused for a moment.
"Is this okay? I'm just checking the wound, we should probably change the bandages now too." Bucky thought about the list of things the doctor had gone over with him. Zemo nodded in response, and Bucky completely unbuttoned his shirt.
"Yeah, let's change this. Stay here, I'll be right back." Bucky stood up, and went to the bathroom, and grabbed a first aid kit. He brought it back, and set it down on the sofa where he'd been sitting, then he got down on his knees, on the floor. Zemo stayed quiet, and still. He watched Bucky gently peel the gauze away. The stitching was vertical, and about three, or four inches long. It was still angry looking. Dark red in the center, with a bit of dried blood. The area around the stitches was still a little inflamed, the outermost part a light pink. Bucky applied fresh gauze, and medical tape, that wouldn't irritate Zemo's skin more than it already vwas.
"All done." Immediately Bucky started to button Zemo's shirt back up, stopping where Zemo had before, leaving that v shape of exposed skin.
"How about a glass of water?"
"Please..." Zemo said , almost whispering.  Bucky smiled softly, and stood up. Once in the kitchen he grabbed a cup out of the cabinet in the corner, between the sink, and toaster. He filled it with water from the tap, and brought it back to Zemo, who took it with both hands. Slowly Zemo sipped the water. The cat was still rubbing against him, so Zemo pet her again with his left hand.
"What is the cat's name?"
"Alpine." Bucky answers the question.
"It's nice to officially meet you, alpine."
"I adopted her. Sam said I needed a service animal, and I'm not really big on dogs. I like them, I just like cats more." Bucky laughs softly, getting another smile from Zemo, although his eyes are now red, and puffy from crying so much.
"Are you hungry at all?"
"No, just tired." Zemo sighs.
"Let's get you back to bed." Bucky stands up, and holds his right hand out to Zemo, who took it, and stood up. Bucky walked Zemo back to his room, and tucked him into bed again. Alpine follows, and snuggles up against Zemo. He closes his eyes, and falls asleep quickly. Once Bucky was sure Zemo was alright he left, and went to his own room.