Chapter Five

Bucky woke up in the morning, at first he questioned why he was on the floor. He hasn't slept on the floor in close to a year.
Oh that's right, Zemo. He recalled the incident that happened in the middle of the night. Slowly Bucky sat up. Zemo was still sleeping, with Alpine at his side. He smiled, and patted her head softly, before standing up. Quietly, Bucky snuck out of the room, and started making breakfast. Once again he was making bacon, eggs, and pancakes. He planned to get more creative this time around.
He started by cutting up a green bell pepper, and a Roma tomato. Then he chopped up some asparagus, and put them all into a bowl together. After that Bucky cracked a few eggs into another bowl. He added salt, and pepper before stirring them up with a fork. Next he started to cook what bacon he had left. Once that was done he put a paper towel down on a plate, before dumping the bacon on it. Bucky then covered the bacon with another paper towel, and placed the plate in the microwave to keep it warm.
"Next pancakes." He said to himself. As Bucky was cooking Zemo woke up. He stretched, and got out of bed slowly. He could hear Bucky working in the kitchen. He recalled the events from the night before.
James... He stood up, and made his way across the hall to the bathroom. Once he was finished there, Zemo walked out to the kitchen.
"Morning." Bucky looked over at him, and smiled, as he flipped a pancake.
"Good morning." Zemo smiled back. His eyes were red, and the bags beneath them gave away how tired he still was.
"Have a seat, I'll be done shortly." Bucky nodded to the table, and Zemo sat down. Bucky finished up with the pancakes. He dumped the bowl of eggs into the pan, and added the tomatoes, and vegetables. Soon they were scrambled together, and breakfast was ready. Feeling like he should be helping, Zemo returned to the kitchen.
"I'll bring it to you."
"I'm not an invalid."
"Sorry." Bucky scratched the back of his neck. Zemo noticed Bucky did that when he felt awkward, or flustered.
"It's alright, I appreciate the thought." Zemo smiled as he took the plate Bucky already had out for him. Bucky smiled back, and began to fix his own plate. Zemo returned to the table with his food, and Bucky grabbed a box of strawberries from the fridge, as well as a can of ready whip. He sat down across from Zemo.
"I've got strawberries, and whipped cream, if you want for your pancakes. Or I can grab the syrup?"
"I think what you've chosen sounds good. I also see you've added chocolate chips to the pancakes."
"Yeah, is that okay?" Bucky blushed softly.
"Yes." Zemo smiled sweetly.
"I thought I'd make you something a little more special."
"Because of last night?"
"Partly." Bucky said sheepishly.
"Thank you, James."
"I just thought maybe that would cheer you up a little. You like sweet stuff like this right?"
"How did you know?"
"Riga." Bucky blushed a little deeper.
"How observant." Zemo smirked playfully. Bucky was relieved. He worried for a moment that he'd made a mistake. Bucky took a few strawberries, and sprayed the edges of his pancake with the ready whip. Zemo on the other hand took a handful of strawberries, and sprayed a majority of the pancake with cream. Bucky couldn't help himself. He chuckled at the sight of it.
"What?"
"You." Bucky laughed.
"Are you making fun of me, James?"
"N-no, but you've used a lot of cream there."
"I like it."
"I don't mind, it's just cute, you remind me of a child."
"Well compared to you, I am a child." Zemo laughed.
"Very funny." Bucky smirks. You walked right into that one. He thought to himself as he started to eat. Once Zemo was done decorating his food, he started to eat. He made several "mm" sounds as he consumed the pancakes. Bucky's face lit up at the sounds. It must be good, Bucky thought as he ate, feeling proud of himself. Once they finished with breakfast, Bucky fed Alpine while Zemo washed the dishes.
He wasn't going to let Bucky do everything, even if he was still tired. Bucky met him in the kitchen.
"Hey."
"Hey." Zemo smirked, imitating Bucky's voice. Bucky laughed through his nose.
"Why don't you take a nap?"
"I'm alright." Zemo finished the dishes, and dried his hands.
"Alright, I'm going to turn on the news." Bucky stepped out to the living room, and sat down on the couch. Zemo followed, and sat beside him. They watched the morning news together, getting a weather, and traffic report. Suddenly Bucky's phone started to ring in his pocket. He pulled it out.
"It's Sam." He said before answering.
"Hey, what's up?" Bucky started off the conversation.
"Hey, what are your plans for the day?" Sam asked.
"We're just watching the news. What are you doing?"
"I've got some good news for you. Would you mind if I stopped by to deliver it in person.?"
"Yeah, I'm not planning on going anywhere today." Bucky said noting Zemo was beginning to nod off. He talked on the phone with Sam a moment longer, and Zemo fell asleep. He slowly toppled onto Bucky's shoulder. Bucky smiled. I knew he'd fall asleep. Bucky wrapped his arm around Zemo, and Zemo cozied up to Bucky.
"That's more comfortable, right?" Bucky asked, getting a dazed head nod from Zemo, who was only partly awake now.
"Here." Bucky brought his legs up onto the couch, and laid down. He brought Zemo down to lay with him. Zemo was now partly between Bucky, and the back of the couch with his head rested on Bucky's chest.
"Even more comfortable." Bucky said softly.
Zemo nodded in response, and fell to sleep completely. Bucky watched TV for a bit, before falling asleep himself. The two napped for about twenty minutes, when there was a knock at the door, which sent Zemo up onto his knees. Bucky jolted, and opened his eyes, also being awoken by the noise. He saw Zemo had sat up.
"Hey, it's Sam." Bucky said.
"You don't need to be scared, or anything." Bucky got up, and walked to the door. Zemo, on the other hand, was nervous to say the least. What is Samuel couldn't help? What if he's come here to arrest me? Zemo thought standing, and backing up towards the kitchen slowly.
Bucky answered the door, and welcomed Sam in. They hugged, and greeted each other. Sam was wearing a maroon T-shirt, with a black leather jacket, and blue jeans. He carried a backpack with one strap over his shoulder, and wore a pair of matching maroon converse on his feet.
"Where is Zemo?" Sam asked surprised not to see him in the room.
"Probably hiding." Bucky sighs.
"C'mon." Bucky led Sam to Zemo's room, Although Sam had been here plenty of times. the door was closed. Bucky knocked on it gently.
"Zemo, it's only Sam, it's alright I promise."
"What's going on?" Sam asked softly.
"He's afraid you're going to arrest him." Bucky sighs.
"So what, is he sneaking out, like he did in Riga?" Sam asked
"N-no, I'm not sure what happened yet, but he's not quite like he was then, a bit more timid, especially at the thought of going back to the raft, or any prison really." Bucky whispered, before knocking again. This time Zemo opened the door a crack. He looked out at the two of them.
"Hey, long time no see." Sam smiles.
"Of course not. You didn't come to visit me." Zemo shrugs. Why would he want to? It's not like we are friends... Zemo thought to himself.
"S-sorry." Sam said awkwardly.
"You have some good news you said right, Sam?" Bucky said changing the subject.
"Yeah, I do."
"Zemo, let's go in the living room, so Sam can tell us what the situation is." Bucky smiles reassuringly. Zemo opened the door the rest of the way, and followed them back out to the couch. Bucky took a seat, and Zemo sat beside him. Sam sat down on the chase.
"So I made a few calls. T'challa is a reasonable guy. Obviously he's still very hurt by...what happened." Sam said, to put it gently.
"But he also understands. He's saddened, and hurt by the actions you took, however he is willing to pardon you on certain conditions." Sam smiles softly. Bucky's face lit up, he looked at Zemo Expecting the same, only Zemo didn't look happy. He looked sad. Bucky's face fell. Sam Noticed immediately, and his smile also faded.
"He spoke with the leaders of the other countries present at the U.N meeting. They took a vote."
Sam looked at Bucky. Bucky began to worry. They wouldn't go for it. He thought clenching his first nervously.
"Zemo will be pardoned under these conditions." Sam said, handing Bucky some papers he'd had in his backpack. Bucky took the papers and began to read.
"Zemo is to remain under your supervision, until he is deemed stable enough to rejoin society by a therapist, basically." Sam said.
"I wasn't planning to kick him out, or anything so that's fine." Bucky smiled at Zemo as he spoke.
"Who knows. Maybe I won't want to leave." Zemo smirked playfully. Sam glanced between the two of them. I knew it. He thought.
"This is similar to my pardon." Bucky noted.
"Have they chosen a therapist?"
"We figured you knew a good one." Sam smiled. Getting one in return from Bucky.
"Yeah, I do. She's a bit rough around the edges, but she's awesome." Bucky said, placing his right hand over Zemo's, who nodded.
"Thank you...both of you..." he didn't want to cry not in front of Sam, but it was a little late now, as he felt the tears roll down his cheeks.
"I'm sorry."
"That's okay." Sam smiled softly. He did know the full extent of the damage, but he knew if anyone could help Zemo, it was Bucky.
"It was Bucky's argument that won them over by the way. At first they were all against it, and were shocked that T'challa would even consider pardoning a terrorist responsible for his fathers death." Sam said it more bluntly this time. Zemo nodded, wiping the tears from his eyes. You don't deserve this. Zemo thought, trying not to cry anymore.
"When I told everyone that Bucky, Sharon, and myself found it hypocritical that 'superheroes' like Bucky, and I can be pardoned for the destruction of an entire country; and multiple other incidents, why not you. Your motives were not purely evil. Wrong on every level? Yes, but like buck said, the avengers built ultron, and as a result you, and plenty of others from sokovia;  lost everything, families, homes, you name it. You were a direct consequence of their actions, you faced direct consequences from your actions, now it's time for reform." Sam said it exactly the way he had at the meeting. Bucky smiled, and nodded. He felt proud of Sam at this moment, as well as thankful.
"I don't know how we are going to thank you."
"Don't worry about it." Sam smirked. Zemo collected himself, he felt relieved, and thankful beyond words. I really don't deserve this. His thought, however, betrayed these feelings.
"My sister, Sarah, and her boys are going to be coming up to visit. I'm going to the airport later to pick them up. They'll be staying for a few weeks, so I hope you two are ready for some fun." Sam said, lighting the mood.
"Yeah, I'm stoked, as they say." Bucky chuckled.
"Good, because we are going to have a great time!" Sam said, as he stood up. Bucky stood after him.
"I'm going to get going, I've got to get everything ready." Sam said, walking towards the door.
"No problem." The two said their goodbyes, and Sam said goodbye to Zemo before leaving. Bucky breathed a sigh of relief.
"Looks like we're in the clear."
"Y-yes."
"What's wrong?"
"Do I really deserve this, James?" Zemo looked Bucky in the eyes.
"Of course. I asked myself the same question. I still do sometimes." Bucky admitted. Zemo nodded.
"I suppose you're right." Zemo turned his head to look out the window. It was dark already. Sam had spent the majority of the day with them.
"I-I want to go to bed." Zemo said getting up from the couch.
"Excuse me." He said before heading to his room, without another word. Bucky sighed. He stayed up a bit longer watching television, and messing around on his phone. He had a snack, before going to bed himself.