Chapter Nine

The next morning went about the same as every morning. Bucky made breakfast, and Zemo watched. The two ate together, and played with Alpine after she had her breakfast.
"Looks like we need to go shopping again." Bucky said, looking in the fridge, and noting that it was nearly empty. He still wasn't used to having to feed more than just himself. Zemo nodded. He was gathering up their dishes to be washed, however he was being very quiet again.
"Are you mad at me?" Bucky asked, as Zemo squeezed passed him into the kitchen, and started to wash the dishes.
"No."
"Yes you are."
"No, I'm not."
"Then why are you being so quiet? You didn't talk to me at all during breakfast. You only talked to Alpine."
"Are you jealous?" Zemo smirked, and Bucky sighed.
"Maybe a little, she's all over you all the time now."
"I meant were you jealous I was only giving her attention." Zemo asked, now slightly annoyed. Bucky blushed.
"Oh...of course not. I don't need attention from you." Bucky crossed his arms. Zemo smirked again.
"Oh, of course not, I suppose you won't mind my silence then." He said finishing the dishes.
"Whatever. Do you want to go to the store with me?"
"As long as you allow me to transfer my funds, and pay for my own things."
"I knew it!"
"What?"
"You are mad at me! It's about what I said in the car last night isn't it?"
"So what if it is?"
"I didn't say you couldn't, I was just saying you don't have to everytime."
"But you have been paying for me every time. Allow me to return the favor."
"It's not a favor!"
"Then what is it?"
"Common courtesy!" Bucky said loudly, and a bit angrily. Zemo's brows furrowed, and He more, or less glared at Bucky.
"I'm sorry, it's just that I'm not out to get you, I'm not trying to control you, or anything like that. I just want you to know that I'm trying to help you. You don't owe me anything at all." Bucky shook his head, and Zemo's face softened.
"I don't always understand this century, or the people in it, but that's how I was raised to be! Considerate. I was taught to help people, and I don't care what you've been telling yourself, but you are in need of a lot of help. Stop being so prideful, and let me help even if I'm the thing you hate most!"
"I don't hate you, James."
"Then what's with the attitude? I don't get it."
"I'm very confused, can you accept that as an answer right now?" Zemo looked down at his socks. Bucky sighed.
"I know. I'm sorry I was angry, and I know it's going to take time for you to understand how you feel about...everything. Just please stop feeling guilty over stupid stuff like me buying you food, and clothes."
"I'm sorry." Zemo looked back up at Bucky.
"It's okay. Well go transfer your money, and you can spend it to your heart's content at the store." Bucky smiled. Zemo smiled back, and nodded.
"Agreed." He then went to his room to change his clothes, Bucky went to his room to do the same. Zemo finished getting dressed first, and waited for Bucky at the door.
"Fancy meeting you here." Bucky jokes.
"Isn't it though?" Zemo laughed. Bucky's face lit up hearing it.
"After you." Bucky opened the door.
"We'll be back, Alpine. Be good." Bucky called to the cat as they walked out. As usual Bucky opened the car door for Zemo, and they drove to the bank. It didn't take long to exchange the currency Zemo had for U.S dollars, and get him a debit card, as well as a credit card. They were in the bank for maybe an hour.
Once finished, it was time to head to Walmart. Bucky didn't love, or dislike Walmart. He enjoyed the amount of things that were available to people nowadays, in a single superstore. However, he also found it crowded, and stressful. Sam had said he tried to avoid going to Walmart when he could, but Bucky had gotten used to going. After parking near the front, the two got out, and went inside. This time Zemo placed a lot more snacks, and sweets into the cart. Mainly candy, and cookies.
"Maybe you want some snacks with less sugar?" Bucky hinted.
"What would you suggest?"
"Chips, Crackers, popcorn. Stuff like that."
"Alright." Zemo agreed. Bucky took him down the chip section, and picked out a few for Zemo to try.
"Classic lays, and nacho cheese Doritos." Bucky smirks.
"Oh, these are good." He then grabbed a box of cheese flavored crackers that sandwiched a layer of peanut butter. Zemo was skeptical. Bucky continued to grab dinner supplies. He grabbed ingredients for tacos, as well as a few frozen pizzas, and of course breakfast items.
"I love breakfast food."
"I know." Zemo smiled.
"Is that so?" Bucky looked over his shoulder at Zemo who made sure to get whipped cream for the pancakes.
"Well you've only made me breakfast every morning for about a month now."
"True." Bucky laughed.
"Let's get strawberries to go with that." He said, nodding towards the whipped cream. Of course he spotted Zemo trying to sneak it into the cart like a child.
"Yes, please. I'm going to get a waffle maker as well if that's alright."
"Yeah sure. Switch things up a bit huh. Waffles sound nice."
"It's not that I don't like pancakes, it's just..." Zemo trailed off.
"Just what?"
"We used to make waffles often. More so the pancakes...Carl loved them."
"I see." Bucky smiled at him sympathetically.
"We can do that. I'm sure I can make you the best waffle you've ever eaten." Bucky's smile brightened as he tried to lighten the mood.
"I'm sure you can, James." Zemo smiled back. He was sad, but wanted James to know he wasn't about to do anything irrational. They picked up the waffle maker, and finished up with the popcorn.
"Alrighty that completes the list." Bucky deleted the grocery list he'd made in the notes on his phone, and they proceeded to the checkout lanes.
"I guess I'll go first." Bucky said, putting his groceries on the belt. The lane was self service. 
"These are neat, I get to use modern cashier tech." Bucky said, as he scanned his items.
"Although I've heard people say it takes jobs away, but at the same time I don't have to interact with anyone. Not that I have a problem with that, I just don't always feel social." He shrugged.
"Understandable." Zemo nodded.
"There's pros, and cons to everything."
"Indeed." Zemo nodded again in agreement. Bucky finished, and paid for his things. He watched as Zemo began to run his grocery over the scanner. He was a little faster with the keypad then Bucky was.
"I used to ignore these self service things. I was worried I wouldn't be able to use them." He laughs sheepishly.
"It's still new."
"Don't worry, you did fine." Zemo smiled at him. Bucky blushed softly.
"Yeah?"
"Of course, even people born in the last twenty years make mistakes with these machines."
"I guess you're right."
"What made you finally start using them?"
"Not wanting to be social." Bucky laughs nervously.
"There is nothing wrong with that. As long as you don't shut yourself down from the world. It is a little maddening being completely alone for too long." Zemo spoke from experience.
"Yeah..." Bucky's face saddened a little. He'd choose not to be social with anyone, not even Sam, for quite a while after Steve. Zemo didn't have a choice, and he mostly likely didn't want to speak to other inmates, or guards, who likely disliked him for committing terrorist acts near their homes. Buck was completely aware that it was Zemo's own fault for what he'd done, but Bucky still felt bad for him, and understood nonetheless, considering his time with hydra. Socializing wasn't their specialty, he also didn't have a choice during that time.
"You-you can always talk to me." Bucky said suddenly.
"I know I'm not always the funnest person to talk to, and sometimes I'm quiet, and I have a staring problem, but I'll listen, and try my best to say the right things."
"James?" Zemo looked at him surprised. Where was this coming from suddenly?
"You don't have to-"
"I insist!"
"O...kay. If you insist, but know that I am not always a socialite, but if you ever wish to speak to me you have my undivided attention." Zemo smiled softly, even blushing a little, however, he wasn't aware of it. The two made it back to the car. It was nearing noontime.
"What's for lunch?" Bucky inquired.
"Oh, I hadn't thought of it."
"I took you to McDonald's right?" Bucky asked as he loaded the groceries into the trunk.
"No." Zemo shook his head. After getting Zemo's door, and letting him in the car. Bucky climbed in, and said.
"Let's go there."
"Okay. We didn't have them in sokovia."
"Did you go to ones in other countries?"
"Once. On my way to Vienna..."
"Oh...while you were dressed as me?"
"Y-yes..." absolutely embarrassed Zemo's face was beet red.
"Well you certainly got into character." Bucky laughed. Zemo looked at him wide eyed, and unsure of whether to laugh along, or beg for forgiveness.
"I mean I didn't eat there all the time, but I do very much enjoy fast food. It doesn't affect me as negatively as it does others though, kind of like how I can drink as much as I want without any repercussions."
"Do you drink often?"
"No, there isn't much of a point. Like I said, and I'm sure you already know, but it doesn't affect me. I do sometimes in social settings with Sam, or other people I know if they're drinking. It makes me feel more...normal, and more like I'm part of the group I guess."
"Makes sense."
"You drank a lot in Madripoor, and Latvia." Bucky pointed out.
"Y-yes..."
"Honestly I'm not sure how you were even functioning."
"My desire to destroy the serum, and super soldiers..."
"Right..."
"I haven't since I've been with you."
"Well yeah, I don't have any alcohol in the house." Bucky laughed through his nose.
"I don't have a problem."
"I didn't say you did."
"It sounded that way."
"Oh Jesus..." here we go. Bucky thought, I just can't say anything right can I?
"Hey we're not in therapy right now, so let's not even talk about stuff like that."
"Agreed." Zemo turned to look out the window. Bucky sighed inwardly, and the rest of the ride to the fast food chain was in silence. Once the restaurant was in view Bucky spoke.
"Do you want to go in, or just hit the drive thru?"
"We can go in if you want..." Zemo spoke softly. Bucky had half a mind to straight up say 'no you've been bad!,' however, as old as he was, Zemo wasn't a child, even if he acted like one.
"Alright." Bucky parked. Despite Zemo's attitude, Bucky still got the doors for him. The car door, so he could get out, as well as the door to the restaurant.
"Thank you."
"You're welcome." They step in, and stand in line.
"I'm sorry."
"It's okay. I'm sorry too."
"It's okay."
"Decide what you want?"
"What do you suggest?" Zemo asked, tilting his head, as he looked up at the menu. The items were a bit different from the McDonald's in Vienna he'd visited.
"The quarter pounder with cheese is good. I usually get that, and fries. They have milkshakes, they're really good, especially if you dip your fries in them."
"Dip your fries?"
"Yeah it's good." Bucky looked at Zemo, who looked skeptical, still holding that head tilt.
"It's a great combination of salty, and sweet. As well as hot, and cold."
"Next." A girl at the register who appeared no older than eighteen called them forward. Bucky ordered his usual with a large fry, and coke. Zemo ordered the same. Bucky then also ordered a small chocolate shake.
"I'll buy this time, and you can next time. How about that?" Bucky asked. Zemo nodded.
"I'll get the food, you get us a seat."
"Alright." Zemo said. He found a high set table that seated two, just behind a glass divider. Bucky's order number was called out, and he was given a plastic tray with their food on it. He found Zemo quickly, and placed the tray on the table, then picked up the two plastic cups.
"I'll be right back with the drinks." Bucky said, then walked over to the soda fountains. He filled each cup half way with ice then, all the way with coke a cola. He returned, and sat the drinks on the table then sat down.
"Thank you."
"Anytime." Bucky smiled, and took his food off the tray. The burgers were packaged neatly in cardboard boxes. He set the milkshake between the two of them.
"Watch." He took one of his fries, and dipped it into the frozen treat.
"Mmm!" He hummed while eating. Zemo then took one of his own fries, and gave it a try.
"It's good!" He sounded surprised.
"See." Bucky smirks playfully. The two then ate their food, while dipping fries into the shake between them.
"Ready?" Bucky asked after finishing his food. Zemo had just finished his as well, and Bucky let him have the rest of the shake once they ran out of fries. They got up, and walked out. Zemo sipped on the shake all the way back to the car.
"Let's get home, and put all the groceries away." Bucky started the car, and took them back to the apartment. As they arrived, and walked up to the door, Mrs. Jones happened to be coming home at the same time.
"Hey, Mrs. Jones." Bucky smiled.
"I haven't seen you in a while."
"Oh, good afternoon James. Zemo was it?" She asked, having forgotten his name.
"Yes." Zemo smiled softly.
"I've been going to bingo lately with the girls, it's been a whole lot of fun." The older woman said with a grin.
"That's good." Bucky said, as he got his Keys out of his pocket.
"Well goodnight boys." She said, as she went into her apartment.
"Goodnight." Bucky waved, before unlocking the door. They went inside, and took their shoes off. Alpine greeted them with a few meows, and rubbed against their legs as they walked in.
"Careful, don't trip him." Bucky said to her.
"It's alright, James." Zemo said. Bucky Put the grocery bags on the table.
"I think I'm going to lay down."
"You okay?"
"It just hurts."
"Yeah? Would you like some pain killers?"
"Please."
"Go lay down, I'll bring it to you with some water."
"What about the groceries?"
"I've got that, so don't worry."
"I can help."
"You are injured, and just said you are in pain, so no. You are not going to help."
"James-"
"Nope." Bucky snapped the fingers on his right hand, then pointed down the hall. Zemo sighed, and Bucky smiled.
"Lay down, I'll be there in a second, and you'll feel better." Zemo went to his room, and laid down in bed. Bucky soon came in with some medicine, and a glass of water.
"Here." He held them out for Zemo, who sat up, and took them.
"Thank you, James."
"Of course." Bucky smiled. Zemo took the medicine, and handed the water back to Bucky. He laid back down, and closed his eyes. Not long after he was asleep. Bucky stayed up a bit later watching television, then went to have a nap himself.