Chapter Three

Zemo woke up again the following morning. Alpine had left the room at some point. The blinds on the window were closed, but the room was still illuminated by the morning sun. He heard sounds coming from the kitchen. slowly, he sat up. His body still felt stiff, he seemed to feel the most pain in the morning. Zemo groans as he stretches carefully. He got out of bed, and wandered out to the kitchen. Bucky was standing at the sink. He was filling up a bowl with water.
"Good morning." Zemo yawns, startlingly Bucky enough to make him jump, and turn around.
"Oh, hey. You scared me." He gasps, and laughed.
"Apologies."
"Don't worry about it."
"What are you doing?"
"Making breakfast. I'm filling this bowl with soapy water, so it can soak. Since I'm done with it."
"What are you making?"
"Bacon, eggs, and pancakes. I hope that's alright. I can make you something else if you want?"
"That's perfect." Zemo smiles. He looked much less tired than the night before. Bucky smiles, and turns his attention back to the eggs in the skillet. Zemo took a step closer to observe.
"I don't know much about cooking, Oezink always cooks...cooked for my family." Zemo rephrased the sentence. Bucky wondered for a moment why he changed it to past tense, but once Zemo mentioned his family, Bucky figured it out.
"Where is Oezink, he flew you to the states right? I assume he was also the getaway driver during your escape from the raft." Bucky says as he starts to scramble the eggs. Zemo sighs.
"Yes. To make a long story short he picked me up, and flew me here. That was all I needed of him at the moment, so now Oezink is off the clock. I'm not sure what he does in his spare time. Knowing him for as long as I have, he has probably gone to a beach somewhere."
"How long have you known him?"
"My grandfather hired Oezink when he was a young man, and he worked for my father after my grandfather passed. Now he works for me."
"So you grew up with him as your butler?"
"Yes."
"Maybe he can tell me some embarrassing stories about you when you were little?" Bucky laughs.
"He certainly could." Zemo smirks playfully.
"I'm almost done, you can have a seat, I'll bring it out to you."
"You don't have to do that-" Zemo started to say before Bucky cut him off again.
"I've got it. just go sit down." Bucky smiles to himself, and shakes his head. Zemo went, and took a seat at the table. Bucky finished up the eggs. He'd cooked the bacon first sense that took the longest, followed by the pancakes. Bucky plates the food, then brings everything out. He placed one of the plates in front of Zemo, before taking the seat across from him.
"How's it look?"
"Good." Zemo says, noting that Bucky had already put syrup, and silverware on the table for them.
"It's probably not as good as something Oezink could make, but I hope you like it." Bucky smiles before he starts eating. Zemo smiles softly as he pours syrup over his pancake. Bucky notes how much Zemo was using, and smirks. He remembered how much candy, and junk Zemo ate in Latvia. Of course. Bucky though, and laughs quietly to himself.
Once Zemo was finished drowning his pancake in syrup he passed it to Bucky who didn't use nearly as much. The two ate quietly for the most part.
"It's good." Zemo says about halfway through the meal.
"Good, I've never actually cooked for anyone besides myself before." Bucky admits.
"Would you teach me?"
"Sure, we can learn new recipes together." Bucky smiles. He'd never expected to enjoy Zemo's company this much.
"I'd love that." Zemo says, taking the last bite of his pancake. Bucky started to chuckle. In turn Zemo responded with one of his head tilts.
"Here." Bucky reaches over with a napkin, and wipes a spot of syrup off of Zemo's face.
"Thank you." Zemo blushes softly.
"Anytime."
"What are we doing today?" Zemo hopes he wasn't jumping the gun, by saying 'we'.
"What do you mean?"
"You said you wanted to take me on a date, yes?"
"Of course! You're still recovering though, you need to rest."
"Alright, I get it." Zemo pouted for a moment.
"What are you doing today?"
"I've got some work I've got to do today. With Sam. Some press conference, or something stupid." Bucky sighs.
"Could I come along?"
"Absolutely not." Bucky shook his head, as he took the last bite of his food.
"Why!" Zemo's brow furrowed, and he looked angry.
"Because I don't want you to get hurt." Bucky said, wide eyed as though it should be obvious.
"I'm already hurt."
"Exactly! You escaped the raft, flew to New York, and got shot the moment you stepped off the plane!"
"That's a bit over dramatic."
"You almost died." Bucky sighs, putting his elbows onto the table, so he could put his face in his hands.
"Yes, but I wasn't shot the moment I stepped off my plane! I was trying to stay on the back streets, and be discreet about my movements."
"That's the worst thing you could have done in New York." Bucky groaned, rubbing his face gently.
"Apologies, but I did not realize you could get mugged in every back alley in the United States!" Zemo said. The irritation was clear on his face. Bucky let his hands fall onto the table, and studied Zemo's face for a moment. He's cute. The thought brought a smile to Bucky's face before he asked.
"You said the man recognized you, so it wasn't a random attack."
"I believe he did."
"That's why I want you to stay here. What if you're recognized again? It's way too risky. You could be arrested again, or killed."
"Your right..." Zemo sighs.
"I'm sorry for arguing."
"It's alright." Bucky stands up. He goes back into the kitchen, and looks at the clock on the stove.
"I've got to get ready." He says as he walks back over to the table, and grabs his plate.
"I can do that."
"You don't have to."
"James, I'm well enough to clean up after myself. I can wash the dishes." Zemo smiles.
"Alright." Bucky nods, and goes to his room. While Bucky was changing, Zemo picked up the dishes, and put them all in the sink. He started to run hot water. Then he poured dish soup onto the plates. A dish rag was draped over the faucet. Zemo wetted it before using it to clean the now soapy dishes. After the plates were done he dried them with a hand towel, Bucky had left on the counter.
After quick exploration, Zemo figured out what dishes went where. Once the plates were put away, he moved on to the silverware. By the time he'd finished the dishes Bucky came out of his room. His hair was slicked back, and he wore a tight black t-shirt under a black blazer. His black slacks were held up with a black leather belt. Zemo looked him up, and down. He noticed the shiny black shoes. Normally, Bucky wore boots if Zemo's memory was correct.
"How do I look?" Bucky smirks.
"Very nice. Very fancy." Zemo smiles, and Bucky blushes.
"Is that the same blazer you got from Sharon?"
"No, it's not." Bucky laughs.
"I don't even think I have that one anymore."
"That was a fun party. You looked nice then too."
"It was fun. We were supposed to be laying low, and you were dancing through most of it." Bucky laughed.
"Yes. The music sort of took over me." Zemo laughed, and blushed.
"I know I was watching."
"You should have joined me."
"Maybe I will next time." Bucky smirked again.
"You are flirting with me now, james."
"Yeah, but you like it."
"I do." Zemo giggles.
"I'll be back later." Bucky walked over to the door, and Zemo followed.
"Are you going to be okay here by yourself?"
"I've been sitting in a cell alone for almost a decade now."
"I'm sorry, I didn't mean anything by that. I just want to be sure you're okay." Bucky said, putting his hands up defensively.
"It's alright." Zemo looked down.
"I don't know why I said that." Zemo looked back up.
"You're hair." He said, changing the subject.
"What about it?"
"I don't like it." Zemo said before ruffling it up.
"Hey! It wasn't easy to do that, you know!"
"It doesn't suit you."
"I used to wear it like this all the time."
"When? The forties?"
"Yes actually, and the thirties."
"It's too stiff for you, it's a press conference not a funeral."
"Is that why your hair always looks like that?" Bucky said teasingly. Zemo's expression dropped. He had that look on his face again. Liked he'd shut down.
"I'm sorry, I didn't mean that." Bucky takes Zemo's hand only for him to pull it away.
"Zemo."
"You're going to be late." Zemo says finally without looking at him. Bucky nods, and opens the door. He looks back over his shoulder at Zemo, and wonders if he should say anything more. Bucky shakes his head. What the hell were you thinking, you idiot! He thought as he stepped out of the door. Zemo heard Bucky lock the door. He sighed, and looked around. He wasn't sure what to do, so he started to snoop around.
First through the drawers, and cabinets in the kitchen. Then the bathroom. He explores everything in the living area. There was nothing out of the ordinary or anything interesting at all. The room he was staying in was as plain as it could get upon further explanation. The last place to explore was Bucky's room. He hesitated before opening the door. I shouldn't. He thought, but his curiosity got the better of him. He opens the door, and steps in. Alpine followed him.
"What do you think, Alpine? Is there anything interesting here?" Zemo asks, looking down at the cat. She cocked her head to the side. The room was bigger than the other. There was a bed against the left wall, and one window at the end of the wall. A dresser against the wall across from him. And a closet door at the end of the right wall.
First, Zemo went into Bucky's closet. It was a small walk in. There were plenty of black T-shirts, at least one T-shirt with the shield's design printed on it, as well as one with the US air force symbol on it. A gift from Sam most likely. Zemo thought, as he rummaged through the closet. He spotted two leather jackets, and a couple more belts. At the back of the closet. On the floor was a shoe rack. There were two pairs of boots, a black, and a brown pair, There was also a pair of black, and white converse; as well as a pair of black, and white Nike tennis shoes.
Zemo left the closet, and then looked in his dresser. The top drawer was typical socks, and underwear. I shouldn't be looking at these. Zemo thought as he held up a pair of black boxers. He looked down at Alpine, who was sitting beside his feet, and looking up at him.
"Shh. Don't tell." Zemo tells the cat, and puts his finger to his lips, as he shushes her. Again Alpine cocked her head to the side. Zemo studied the article of clothing for a moment. His cheeks flushed as he thought about smelling them, or even putting them on. No. He thought, as he shoved them back into the drawer. He opened the next one down. Pants, and jeans. The third drawer had something more interesting. His uniform? Zemo carefully pulled the antique from the drawer. The fabric was thick, and had that old feeling to it. Like it had been tucked away in a box for many years.
Zemo looked over it, and studied it. He was tempted to put the coat on, but he didn't want to ruin it. Zemo refolded the World War Two relic, and put it away gently. Shouldn't there be a hat? He thought, then went back to the closet, and looked on the shelves above. There was a cardboard box. Zemo reached up, and pulled the box down. He brought it out into the room, and set it on the floor, as he got down on his knees. Zemo opened the box. There it is. He pulled the hat from the box. He couldn't resist, and put on the peaked cap. He continued to rummage through the box. The other things he found weren't as old. There was a sketch book of Steve's. He flipped through it, and studied each sketch.
                                  ~
Bucky met with Sam at the press conference. They were in a small town outside of the city. Upstate a little ways. The event was being held in the town hall. The two were getting ready in an office room.
"Where is our sneaky friend?" Sam whispered.
"At home." Bucky sighs. He really hoped Sam wasn't going to bring it up.
"You seriously left him in your apartment?"
"He's fine, Alpine's watching him."
"Oh, well thank god for that." Sam says sarcastically, raising his voice a little more.
"Sam, can we just not do this right now."
"Oh I'm sorry, is talking about harboring a criminal in your apartment an inconvenience?"
"First off, I was a criminal, and I don't think your record is perfect either, secondly keep your voice down about it." Bucky says angrily.
"What is with you, man?"
"Nothing."
"You keep getting so defensive about him. You weren't like this in Riga. Hell, at one point I thought you might kill him."
"Oh my god, just drop it Sam." Bucky groaned.
"Oh. My. God." Sam paused between each word.
"What?"
"You!" Sam said loudly before bringing his voice back down to a whisper.
"You got a thing for him!"
"What!"
"I knew it!"
"What are you talking about?"
"Dude, it did get a little obvious."
"You Just said you thought I might kill him."
"Yeah I did, but now I realize it was just the tension." Sam smirks. Bucky couldn't hide the blush. He'd been found out.
"Oh my god, I'm right! You're blushing man!"
"Shut up!" Bucky whines, as a man in a black suit enters the room.
"Cap, we're ready for you." He said, holding the door open for them.
"Ready?" Bucky sighs.
"Ready." The two walked out into the conference room. There were plenty of journalists sitting in fold out chairs. I hate this already. Bucky thought as his eyes scanned the room full of people. The two of them took a seat at a table. There was another man in a blue suit standing at a podium. He started off with a speech.
"Good afternoon everyone." He welcomed the journalists.
"We'd like to thank Sam Wilson, our new Captain America, and Sergeant Barnes, for joining us on this beautiful day." He continued on,
Gushing over the two of them, before leading into the questions. He called on a woman whose hand shot up first. She stood up.
"Mr. Wilson, can you tell us what it was like picking up the shield for the first time?"
"Well." Sam says onto the microphone on the table.
"It was overwhelming. I wasn't sure I was worthy of it at first, but I'm getting used to it." He said a bit nervously.
"Steve chose you, why wouldn't you be worthy?" Another woman asked.
"There are people in this country who will never think I'm worthy, and I guess that's why I didn't think I was myself. But I know who I am, and what I've got to do. I know what Steve saw, and what my friend here sees in me." Sam said, smiling at Bucky, and getting one in return, as well as a nod.
"I'm more than the color of my skin." Sam finished getting many applause from around the room. A man stood up next
"So are you saying if someone does not accept you as their new Captain America, they're racist?" The man said into his mic. Bucky crossed his arms over his chest, and couldn't stop his eyes from rolling.
"Not at all sir." Sam answers.
"I know there will be people out there who don't like that I've taken up the mantle simply because I'm black, but I'm sure there are other reasons for people not to like me, and I don't expect everyone to like me. I just want to do what I can to protect my home, and the people who live here." Sam was honest he didn't care if everyone liked him, it wasn't about popularity. He isn't a celebrity, he's an avenger. Bucky nods in agreement. At this point Sam was used to answering questions about what it was like being Captain America, and black. He got tired of it. No one ever asked Steve what it was like being Captain America, and white. Bucky interrupted.
"As I'm sure most of you know. I was born in nineteen seventeen, and I have been friends with Steve since we were kids...if you've been to the Smithsonian then you know what I'm talking about." He wasn't about to tell his entire life story.
"I guess what I'm trying to say is, It's surprising how much racial injustice still exists. Steve, and I saw it often back then, and yes a lot has changed since then, like we can go to the same restaurants, and drink from the same fountain, and yet people can't handle a black man being Captain America." Bucky looked at Sam, for guidance. He wasn't quite sure what to say next. Sam smiled, and gave him a nod.
A woman was called to speak next.
"I have a question for Sergeant Barnes." She said, Bucky leaned in. He was nervous.
"Are you trying to replace Steve with Sam?"
"No. Steve introduced me to Sam. He used to get on my nerves honestly, but we're friends now."
"Do you plan to keep working with Mr. Wilson?"
"Of course."
"Is your arm really made from vibranium?"
"Yeah, it was made for me in wakanda. It's great, I like it." Bucky said awkwardly. Sam smiles at him, and giggles.
"I have a question for both of you." Another man stood up.
"Where is Steve, is it true that he's on a secret base on the moon?" A few other journalists giggled.
"No that's not true, sorry." Sam said. The man sat down embarrassed. Then another young man stood up.
"Sergeant Barnes, What is your kill count as the winter soldier?" The room went silent. Most of them looked at him with wonder, and curiosity in their eyes. Others with fear. The man at the podium looked shocked, and embarrassed by the journalist's question. Bucky was also shocked, this is exactly what he was worried about. He knew eventually someone would ask about it at these conferences. He looked down at the table. He felt all their eyes on him, but he couldn't bring himself to move, or speak.
"We won't be taking questions like that." Sam said finally.
"If you have any questions related to the winter soldier, we won't be answering them."
"It's alright." Bucky sighs, and looks up.
"They're only curious, and if I don't answer it's weird." Bucky said looking straight ahead into their eyes. Sam looked at him sympathetically.
"I can't give you an exact number, but I know I hurt many people, and killed many more. I didn't have a choice, and I never wanted to hurt anybody. I know a lot of people have mixed feelings about me, but please just know that I want to make things right, I want to do the right thing, and I know that's helping Sam." Some of the journalists began to applaud. At first it seemed to be out of pity, but the more that began to do it the more Bucky felt it was genuine. He smiled, and nodded as he thanked them.
"Alright. That's all we have time for today folks. Once again thank you all for joining us here, and thank you Captain America, and Sergeant Barnes, we really appreciate you two coming out here, and speaking with us today." The man at the podium said, wrapping up the press conference. Sam, and Bucky went back into the office they came out from.
"Hey, man you okay?" Sam asks, putting his hand on Bucky's shoulder.
"Yeah, I'm fine. It was going to come up sooner or later."
"You're okay to drive?" Sam was worried that Bucky may have been shaken up.
"I'm fine, don't worry."
"Alright, go home, tell Zemo how you feel, and that I said hi."
"You're okay with that?"
"Of course I am, I told you I'm no homophobe. I also told you what bisexual means. You're my friend, no matter what, I support you."
"I appreciate that, but that wasn't what I meant." Bucky smiles blushing softly.
"Then What's wrong?"
"You're okay with it being zemo?"
"Yes." Sam sighs.
"I thought about everything you said. And I'm with you. Zemo deserves another chance, and if anyone can give that to him it's you."
"Thank you, Sam."
"Anytime. I'll be in New York for the next few weeks. Sarah's bringing the boys up for a vacation, so hit us up."
"Yeah definitely, but what about Zemo?"
"Dude I told you it's alright, he can come."
"He can't. It's not safe he could get caught, or attacked again."
"Buck, you can't just keep him locked up in the apartment, he's not a prisoner anymore right? I'll see what I can swing for him, but for now lay low."
"Thanks, Sam."
"Don't worry about it." Sam hugged Bucky before leaving. Bucky walked out to the car. He noticed the young journalist who'd asked him the question about the winter soldier in the parking lot. The two made eye contact for a moment before Bucky got in the car and drove off.