Chapter Eleven

"I'm glad you agreed to go to Sarah's." Bucky said, opening the passenger door for Zemo.
"You are?"
"Yes, for multiple reasons." Bucky closes the door once Zemo was seated, and buckled in.
"What are the reasons?" Zemo asked, as Bucky climbed into the car.
"The first being that I want to go, and I want you to come with me." Bucky smiled at Zemo as he started the car, and began driving away from Dr. Raynor's building. Zemo smiled back, he didn't really realize he was. It was almost a natural response.
"I've also already gotten the plane tickets."
"What would you have done had I said no?"
"Well I-"
  "'Not that it matters of course, I am legally bound to your supervision." Zemo interrupted.
"Yes, but if you didn't want to go then we wouldn't go....do you not really want to go?"
"I do. I was just curious. I'm sorry you have to babysit me, James."
"That was my decision. Even if that wasn't a requirement of your pardon I still wouldn't go without you."
"Why not?"
"I wouldn't want you to be alone."
"Makes sense."
"Does it?"
"Yes, I'm not safe alone. I realize that now."
"Well I guess that's true, but that wasn't why. I just don't want you to be by yourself. It can get boring here alone sometimes."
"I'd have Alpine. Besides, what would you do about the tickets?"
"I'd give them to Peter, and his friend." Bucky shrugged.
"Speaking of Alpine, and Peter. We'll need someone to take care of her while we're gone."
"How long will we be gone? Halloween is only one day, yes?"
"When I was a kid it was, but nowadays kids trick or treat the night before, and the night of."
"So a few days?"
"Less than a week."
"So like a vacation?"
"Yeah. You've never been to Louisiana. It will be fun."
"I'm sure Sam will be happy too. I have a feeling he would prefer us over someone who I believe is a teenager." This got a laugh out of Bucky.
"Yeah Peter is still a kid, although most people are a
Kid to me." Bucky laughed again. Zemo chuckled as well. "I bet the boys would have more fun with him then us."
"Probably, but Cass did ask for us."
"Maybe we are fun adults then?" Zemo laughed. Bucky laughed along, parking in his usual spot.
"Let's get inside, and start packing. Then I'm going to see if I can get someone to watch Alpine."
"Mrs. Jones probably would. She's right across from us." Zemo suggested. Bucky nodded.
"Yeah. Peter lives in the city, and we're like an hour away. He's got school too."
"Exactly." They walked into the apartment.
"When is our flight?" Zemo asked.
"It's at nine."
"Alright...I don't have luggage."
"I took care of it."
"What?"
"I ordered it online, and I got it while you were sleeping."
"Why didn't you tell me?"
"It was supposed to be a surprise."
"Thank you, James." Zemo smiles genuinely. Bucky blushed.
"I got you a backpack too. We get one overhead, and one carry on." Bucky rubbed the back of his neck like he always did when flustered. How cute. Zemo thought. What? Did I just think James is cute? Yes. Why? Because he is, he always does that when he is nervous. I've noticed...why do I even care? Because he's been nice to me. He is my friend...maybe...no he's just my friend...I already have a family...I can't replace them...nothing can.
  "I'm going to start packing." Zemo excused himself, and hurried off to his room.
"Okay." Bucky tilted his head. Man, he's really excited. Bucky smiled at the thought. Well he hasn't gotten out much. Can't say I blame him. Bucky opened the front door, and stepped out. He stepped across the way to Mrs.Jones's door, and knocked. She answered.
"Good afternoon, James." She smiled very sweetly.
"Good afternoon. We're going on a little trip to Louisiana, and we're going to be gone until Sunday evening. Would it be possible for you to check on Alpine while we're gone?" Bucky couldn't help, but feel bad asking her.
"Of course I can."
"Oh thank you so much. I've got and extra key here for
You." Bucky reached into his pocket, and pulled out a silver key. He handed it over to her.
"Just make sure she has food, and water. I'll leave the food out where you can see it. Don't worry about the litter box. It's one of those kinds that clean themselves. I can empty the bag it dumps into when we get back." Bucky said, not wanting her to have to bend down too much.
"Oh don't worry hun, everything will be fine." She assured him.
"I can pay you up front too." Bucky said, as he began to rummage through his wallet.
"Oh no no no!" Mrs.Jones stopped him.
"No need to pay me. You boys just come for dinner sometimes, and watch Wheel of Fortune with me." She grinned.
"Alright that sounds good." Bucky laughed. They said goodbye, and Bucky went back over to his apartment. He stepped in closing, and locking the door behind him. He went to Zemo's room to find that Zemo had already found the baggage. A maroon colored case, one with an extendable handle, and wheels sat on the bed. It was unzipped, and already stuffed with clothes. Zemo on the other hand was just coming out of the bathroom with his tooth, and hairbrush. He placed them in a pocket inside the lid, then closed, and zipped up the case.
"All set."
"Cool beans." Bucky said, giving a thumbs up. Zemo tilted his head to one side.
"It's something people say a lot now, I thought?" Bucky blushed softly.
"Oh." Zemo knew plenty of languages, However, he wasn't knowledgeable on all current slang.
"Unless Peter was lying to me, and no one says cool beans at all." Bucky sighed.
"They might, I am unfamiliar with the phrase myself, but that doesn't mean it isn't a real thing."
"I'm going to look it up." Bucky stepped out, and went to his room. As he was consulting with the urban dictionary, he got his own luggage down from the top of his closet, and tossed it on the bed.
"It's real!" He shouted back to Zemo.
"Very good, James!" Zemo called back. Bucky then put his phone back in his pocket, and started to pack.
                                          ~
They arrived at the airport thirty minutes early, this way they could each use the restroom before takeoff. Neither of them wanted to have to use the bathroom on the plane. They were sitting at the terminal. The plane had arrived, and let its previous passengers lose. Soon a lady standing at a podium, began calling the next passengers up by row letter.
Bucky had selected the back row, just in case they did end up needing to use the restroom during the flight, however it was a short flight, a little over two hours. They were the last passengers to board.
"The worst part is getting through the tsa." Zemo had observed.
"Yeah, but I understand why it's done." Bucky said, putting his luggage on the overhead shelf. Zemo was about to lift his own when Bucky stopped him.
"No, no, I've got it."
"James-"
"You're still not one hundred percent. Don't lift, or reach yet." Bucky took Zemo's bag, and placed it next to his.
"Reach?" Zemo frowned.
"Yeah you'd have to reach."
"What does that mean, James? You are not that much taller than me." Zemo shook his head.
"I still had to reach, so you'd have to reach. I'm not calling you short, I'm just trying to help, and make sure you don't hurt yourself."
"Alright." Zemo sat down by the window. Bucky took the aisle seat, and they placed their backpacks under the seats.
"Are you mad?"
"No." Zemo shook his head.
"You're right, I can't right now."
"It will get better. It already looks better, your appointment is next week just relax." Bucky reminded him.
"I can't wait." Zemo said, resting his head on the headrest. Bucky smiled, before turning his phone to airplane mode. The pilot made a few jokes as they took off, while going over safety instructions. An attendant came around giving out pretzel bags to passengers. Bucky took a bag for himself, and Zemo.
"Pretzels?" Bucky held the bag out to Zemo.
"No thank you." Zemo smiles softly, before closing his eyes.
"More for me." Bucky shrugged. Zemo laughed softly, and Bucky smiled. About an hour into the flight, Zemo had fallen asleep. Bucky had eaten the pretzels by this point. Zemo slowly fell into Bucky's shoulder. Luckily his right shoulder. He smiled softly, and sat still as he could.
                                           ~
  Zemo woke up just as they were arriving. The pilot was informing the passengers of the coming descent. Zemo looked up at Bucky, and lifted his head quickly.
"Apologies."
"It's no big deal." Bucky laughed.
"Not the first time you've fallen asleep on me."
"A-are we landing?" Zemo looked out the window. It was dark so he couldn't see much, aside from lights below. He was really just trying to hide the fact he was blushing.
"Yes we're going to land." Bucky said, just as the plane began to descend. After landing the pilot welcomed everyone to Louisiana. Bucky stood up, and got the overhead baggage down. Zemo grabbed his backpack, and put it on.
"Here." Bucky extended the handle on Zemo's luggage for him.
"Thank you." Zemo stepped out into the aisle, and held onto it. Bucky threw his backpack on, and reached up for his own luggage. While he was doing that, an impatient man bumped into Zemo pretty hard. Zemo winced, and was pushed forward into Bucky. He couldn't explain why at the moment, but something about it really got under Bucky's skin.
"Hey!" He turned, and snapped at the man, stepping partly in front of Zemo.
"It's limited space, watch it!"
"And I've got a meeting, faggot!" The man retorted, as he stormed off. Bucky's face contorted to one of shock, and anger. It was a face not unlike the winter soldier.
"James?" Zemo gently grabbed Bucky's sleeve.
"I'm fine...James?" He noted a few people staring at them.
"James!" Zemo called him a bit louder this time. Bucky sighed, and looked at Zemo.
"Sorry, I just...really wanted to fuck that guy up." He shook his head. Zemo was the one surprised now, as he'd never heard Bucky curse before.
"Let's just go." Bucky smiled at him reassuringly.
"Alright." Zemo said, and followed Bucky off of the plane. Once out in the terminal, the pair used the restroom. Zemo finished before Bucky, and sat down on a bench to wait for Bucky. A moment later Bucky came out, and sat down beside him.
"I texted Sam. He's on his way to pick us up."
"Alright."
"Are you sure you're okay? That guy hit you pretty hard, and you sounded like you were in pain."
"I'm fine. It did hurt, but I'm alright now." Zemo answered. Bucky felt a twinge angrier about it now, knowing that it had caused Zemo pain. I should have killed that guy...Bucky thought, shaking his head. Now what good do, buck? He asked himself.
"James?" Zemo interrupted Bucky's thoughts.
"Yeah?"
"May I ask you a question?"
"Yeah, you don't have to ask."
"Alright. I'll start by saying that my English is, in my opinion, perfect. I can imitate a convincing enough American accent, but I don't know what that word was; that man, he called you a name. What did it mean?"
"Oh..." Bucky sighed.
"Judging by your reaction then, and now it was derogatory."
"Yes. It was a slur."
"For?"
"Homosexuals."
"I see..." Zemo looked down at the floor.
"You okay?"
"You're asking me if I am okay?" Zemo looked back up at him.
"Y-yes?" Bucky looked confused, and Zemo chuckled.
"You're we're the one he insulted. I should be asking you if you're okay. I'm sorry, it probably does appear that way to everyone, as it did to Sam."
"Zem, I don't mind...I was only worried about you, I was worried he'd hurt you, and insulted you as well."
"I'm not upset, James. I don't care what some stranger on a plane thinks." Zemo smirks.
"I should've known." Bucky chuckled.
"He was perhaps only jealous."
"Jealous?"
"He had no one accompanying him on the flight, whereas you have me. A handsome Baron if I do say so myself." Zemo held that arrogant smirk. Bucky laughed loudly. Zemo really enjoyed seeing Bucky laugh, he really didn't think he could until living with the super soldier. Bucky honestly didn't know he could laugh as hard as Zemo had been making him either.
"You're absolutely right." Bucky agreed, which in turn caused Zemo to blush. Bucky phones started buzzing.
"Sams here." He stood up, and held his hand out to Zemo, who took it and stood up.
                                           ~
Sam met them outside of the airport, Bucky got in the passenger seat, leaving the entire back to Zemo.
"Sarah's with the boys at the house. I just got here this morning." Sam said, driving out of the airport parking lot.
"We've got a spare bedroom you guys can use."
"Thanks Sam." Bucky smiled.
"The boys are so excited to show you their costumes."
"Oh yeah?"
"Yes, you'll never guess who they are."
"I probably won't know, honestly. I don't know all the things kids are into these days."
"Trust me you'll know."
"Alright." Bucky glanced back at Zemo. He was starting to nod off. Bucky smiled. Sam noticed immediately, and could keep from smiling himself.
"Our neighborhood always has trick or treating the day before Halloween, and on Halloween. I told the boys we would go with them tomorrow night, but on Halloween, I'm going to take you guys to New Orleans."
"Why?"
"Well Zemo's never been, and it's going to be party central basically."
"Okay, so like bars, and clubs?"
"Exactly, we'll do a pub crawl. It will be fun. Zemo likes that kind of stuff right?"
"I'm not sure."
"He seemed to enjoy madripoor."
"Yeah...okay, let's do it. It will be fun." Bucky agreed.
"Alright. The boys are back in town!" Sam joked. Bucky, however, didn't get the reference. Sam sighed. Bucky glanced back again, Zemo was asleep. He figured so as Zemo didn't answer when they discussed his interest in parties. Soon enough they were at Sarah's. Sam parked the car. He, and Bucky got out after Sam popped the trunk. Bucky opened the back door, and gently nudged Zemo.
"Zem." Bucky spoke quietly. Zemo flinched, and looked around.
"Hey, we're here."
"Oh." Zemo crawled out of the back, and stretched. Bucky put on his backpack again, and grabbed both of their bags.
"I can take mine." Zemo said, putting on his backpack.
"It's alright."
"I can carry something too." Sam offered.
"It's fine guys." Bucky smiled.
"If you say so." Sam shrugged, and led them Both up to the house. He unlocked the door.
"Back!" He called out. Sarah stepped out from the kitchen, and the boys ran out after her.
"Hey guys." Sarah smiled.
"We're filling up the candy bowl." Cass informed them.
"Yep we'll be all ready for tomorrow." A.J said.
"What are you two dressing up as?" Bucky asked curiously.
"Not what." Cass shook his head.
"Who?" A.J corrected.
"Alright who are you dressing up as?"
"You have to wait until tomorrow uncle buck!" Cass smirked.
"Alright you got me, I'll wait." He laughed. Cass then noticed Zemo.
"You brought Zemo too!"
"I sure did." Bucky laughed. Zemo waved a bit awkwardly.
"You should have brought Alpine too!" A.J sighed.
"No!" Sarah laughed.
"No cats!"
"Sorry guys, no cats." Bucky shrugged. A.J made an annoyed sound, as Sarah tickled him.
"You'll get over it." She assured him.
"What are we gonna do tonight?" A.J then asked.
"Uncle Sam, Bucky, and Zemo are probably tired guys." Sarah said, not wanting the boys to wear them all out too much. Both of them responded with an 'aww!'
"Y'all have school tomorrow too don't you?" Sam asked.
"Yes." A.J sighed.
"Right, so we won't stay up too late, but we can play a game real quick, or watch a movie after these two get settled." Sam suggested. The boys accepted the offer.
"I'll show you your room." Sarah said, motioning Bucky, and Zemo to follow her. She took them to the guest room. It was the small bedroom in the house.
"One of you can sleep on the couch if you'd like."
"Thanks, Sarah." Bucky nodded. She smiled, and gave them some space.
"I can take the couch. If you want." Bucky said, putting his stuff down. Zemo set his bags in the opposite corner of the room.
"That's alright, James. I don't mind."
"You're not taking the couch, you're still healing, take then bed-"
"That's not what I meant." Zemo laughed softly. Bucky raised an eyebrow.
"I mean I don't mind sharing it." Zemo explained. Bucky blushed slightly.
"Oh y-yeah sure."
"Unless you are uncomfortable with that."
"No, I'm fine with that." Bucky said, trying to sound flustered.
"Alright." Zemo nodded.
                                           ~
Once settled, Sam, and the boys were playing Mario kart on the Nintendo switch. They had it set up on the television.
"We can have four players. Want to play?" A.J asked.
"Sure, but what about Cass?" Buck asked.
"He still has homework."
"Ah." Bucky said, taking a seat on the far left of the couch. A.J was in the middle, with Sam to his right.
"Do you know how?" Sam asked.
"I've played video games before." Bucky sighed.
"Yeah, with us." A.J reminded his uncle.
"I might need some help though." Bucky admitted. He was in no way an expert.
"Feel free to drink, and eat whatever guys. Our kitchen is your kitchen, our house is your house." Sam said, mostly to Zemo, as he'd never been here before.
"Thank you." Zemo nodded, and excused himself for a glass of water.
"Where's Sarah?" Bucky asked.
"I need my teammate if I'm going to win." He laughed.
"We asked mom if she wanted to play, but she said no." A.J shrugged.
"Which means you're going to lose." Sam laughed.
"She's reading." A.J informed. Bucky sighed. Usually Sarah watched, but told Bucky what to do. In the kitchen, Zemo had gotten himself a glass of water. Cass was at the table working on math homework. He sighed, and his posture suggested he was frustrated with it. He held the pencil in his right hand which was resting on his forehead, elbow resting on the table. With his left hand he was tapping the textbook.
"Everything alright?" Zemo asked.
"Not really." Cass sighed again.
"Would you like some assistance?"
"Yes, please." His hand dropped from his forehead, and his eyes lit up. Zemo nodded, and sat down. Meanwhile Sam seemed to be winning mario kart. A.J was second place a majority of the time. occasionally he beat his uncle, and won first place. Bucky was a bit frustrated, and a few times accused Sam of cheating. Their laughter seemed to carry throughout the house.
"Where did Zemo go off to?" Sam asked, looking at Bucky.
"He went to get water."
"Yeah like an hour ago." Sam pointed out.
"I don't know." Bucky shrugged.
"You're supposed to!" Sam shook his head.
"Oh...right." Bucky rubbed the back of his neck. Sam turned off the game.
"Hey!" A.J gasped.
"It's getting late." Sam said.
"But we have to play until Bucky wins!"
"Nice try." Sam laughed.
"Yeah I doubt that will happen." Bucky laughed.
"Not with that attitude." A.J giggled. Suddenly Zemo, and Cass stepped out of the kitchen.
"There you guys are!" A.J jumped up from the couch.
"Zemo helped me with my math."
"Well that was nice." Sam smiled.
"Yeah." Bucky smiled at Zemo as well, only his smile was different. It was one of pride, and admiration.
"Alright boys time for bed." Sarah stepped into the room.
"Awww!" A.J sighed.
"I didn't get to play." Cass crossed his arms over his chest.
"You've been playing since you got home From school." Sarah corrected.
"That's why you took so long to finish your math." A.J said.
"If you'd done it when I did you could've played."
"I guess so." Cass shrugged.
"It's alright man. This is a learning moment." Sam said.
"It's always better to get your work done before you play. Even adults have to get all our work done before we can play."
"That makes sense."
"We can play again another time. For now, get some rest so you can trick or treat tomorrow night."
"Okay." The boys ran off, to get ready for bed.
"I don't know about y'all, but I am exhausted." Sam stretched.
"Yeah I'm pretty tired." Bucky agreed. Zemo had a nap on the plane, and in the car, but he was quite fond of sleeping.
"I'm ready if you are." Zemo said to Bucky.
"You sure? You don't have to go to bed just because I am."
"I know, but I am a little tired."
"Alright."
"Night guys." Sarah said, and went to make sure the boys were getting in bed.
"See you tomorrow." Sam waved, as he headed off to his room.
"Night." Bucky said to the siblings. He went to the guest room with Zemo in tow.
"The bathroom is right across the hall." Bucky said pointing at the bathroom door.
"Alright." Zemo nodded. The two began to rummage through their luggage. Zemo pulled out his long pajamas.
"I'll be right back." Zemo said, as he walked over to the bathroom.
"Sure." Bucky usually didn't sleep in anything besides boxers, but didn't want to make Zemo uncomfortable. Instead he kept his t-shirt on, and threw on some sweat pants he'd brought. The only reason he'd really brought them was if Sam challenged him to a race. Zemo came back after changing, brushing his teeth, and anything else he needed to do before bed.
"Which side do you want?" Bucky asked, once again rubbing the back of his neck.
"Doesn't matter."
"Alright, it doesn't matter to me either. I'll be right back." Bucky excused himself to use the restroom next. Zemo climbed into the right side of the bed. He left the light on, so Bucky could see when he came back.
"Back." Bucky said softly when he returned.
"I'm turning the light off okay."
"Okay." Zemo said sleepily. He was already starting to nod off. Bucky turned the light out, and got into the other side of the bed.
"Are you cold?"
"A little."
"Here." Bucky pulled the blankets up to their shoulders.
"Better?" He asked. Zemo nodded in response.
"Goodnight."
"Goodnight, James." Zemo said, eyes closed. He was on his side facing Bucky. Bucky was laying on his back right at the edge of the bed, trying to leave as much space to Zemo as he could, also not wanting to disturb him. He felt absolutely awkward. Here I thought Zemo would have a problem sharing a bed...why would he? He's never shared a bed with me before. He has his own...he's also been married, idiot. This is probably normal to him. It's been a while since then though...and I'm not her...why is he so comfortable with this? Maybe it's me he's comfortable with? I wish...do I? Why am I so nervous. I really don't mind sharing. I was happy when he said he wanted to, so why am I acting like this? Bucky thought, blushing softly.
  He turned to face Zemo, who was fast asleep now. Bucky studied his face, taking every detail he could. This wasn't the first time, but he absolutely loved watching Zemo sleep. He looked so content, relaxed, at peace.
"I love you." He whispered, knowing it wouldn't be heard. He wasn't sure he was brave enough to say it while Zemo was awake yet, but he had to say it out loud, to get his feeling out into the universe.