Chapter Twenty six

Once they were cleaned up, dried, and dressed, Bucky called room service to change the bedding. Once everything was changed they climbed into bed together.
"How are you feeling?" Bucky asked. He was laying on his side, head in his hand, and propped up on his elbow.
"Good." Zemo hummed. He was lying on his side facing Bucky. His hands folded together under his cheek.
"Good." Bucky gently caressed Zemo's cheek, and hair. He noted more bruises on Zemo's neck.
"You're gorgeous."
"Thank you." Zemo smiled. His eyes were closed, and he was clearly exhausted.
"You don't mind that I've marked you up?"
"No. I want to be covered in bites, and love marks from you."
"I like seeing you covered in them."
"Me too." Zemo mumbled as he started to fall asleep.
"I love you." Bucky kissed Zemo's temple.
"I love you too." Zemo fell asleep. Bucky laughed softly through his nose. Finally he laid down on his back, and looked up at the ceiling. He interlocked his fingers, and rested his hands over his chest. He closed his eyes. His brow furrowed as he kept seeing flashes of images. Memories? He squeezed his eyes shut trying harder to remember these moments in time.
Carl looked just like you when you were little. How would I know that? Bucky asked himself. Zemo asked me if I remember being in madripoor with him, but he clearly wasn't talking about my most recent trip with him, and Sam. I've been there hundreds of times. I got mad thinking he was hiding something, maybe he's not.
I shouldn't have been so mad. Not his fault I can't remember. He scolded himself. He laid still for most of the night thinking. By the time morning came Bucky had fallen asleep, and had been asleep for a few hours. Zemo slowly opened his eyes. He tried to stretch, and his calf muscles began to tighten, and cramp.
"Ah!" He gasped, and jumped up.
"Shit!" He bought up his knee, and gripped his leg. Bucky sat up, and rubbed his eyes.
"Zem?"
"Fuck!" Zemo winced.
"Hey." Bucky turned to him with concern, and quickly deduced what was going on when he saw Zemo holding his leg. Charley horse.
"You need to stand up. If you stand, and walk slowly it will stop."
"It hurts."
"It will stop." Bucky stood up, and held out his hand. Zemo was skeptical, but took Bucky's hand, and stood up. Carefully he put weight on the leg. The pressure changed, and he took a step. The muscles began to relax with the movement.
"Better?" Bucky smiled.
"Better." Zemo smiled back.
"Guess I had you in bad positions last night." Bucky blushed.
"No, I loved it all. I'm just out of shape I suppose... when it comes to sex."
"You were perfect." Bucky snaked his arm around Zemo's waist, and kissed his head. He glanced at the clock, and gasped.
"Shit! We're gonna be late."
"Late?"
"For our flight." Bucky grabbed his bag, and Zemo grabbed his coat. They ran out of the room, and down to the lobby to check out.
~
They made it through TSA, and arrived in the terminal just in time. The passengers were starting to board.
"That was close." Bucky laughed with relief.
"It was." Zemo nodded. They stepped onto the plane, and sat down. Zemo looked out of the window sadly.
"You okay?" Bucky asked gently.
"Just saying goodbye."
"We'll come back."
"Thank you." Zemo nodded. He felt sad leaving them behind again.
"Goodbye sokovia." He whispered softly. He didn't think Bucky heard him, but the super soldier had excellent hearing. His heart sank, and he looked around the plane to distract himself. He noted someone sitting in the back. The person was short, and wearing a coat that was too big with the hood pulled over their head.
Bucky recognized the kid instantly. Candy thief? His thoughts were interrupted by the captain going over safety procedures. He glanced at Zemo. Shoulders shaking slightly indicating he was crying. Bucky didn't say anything.
He could tell Zemo was trying to be discreet about it, and didn't want attention drawn to him. Bucky kept quiet, and acted as though he was highly invested in what the pilot was saying. Soon they were taking off. Bucky couldn't help, but glance back at the boy from the hotel. He was looking out of the window. Hands on the glass. Must be his first flight. Bucky laughed through his nose.
Must be a great experience. He seems excited. Bucky looked forward again. The stewardess began to walk down the aisle with a cart of snacks.
"I'll take a bag of cookies." Bucky smiled kindly. The woman nodded, and handed him a bag. He gently nudged Zemo as she walked off. Zemo glanced at him. Bucky handed him the cookies, and ruffled his hair. Zemo sniffled, and ate one.
~
At some point during the flight Bucky fell asleep. He was slumped over, head resting on Zemo's who was resting on Bucky's shoulder as he too had fallen asleep. They were both rather exhausted from the night before. Bucky opened his eyes as he plane was descending. He looked around, and then at Zemo.
Zemo lifted his head, and looked up at Bucky tiredly. The empty bag of cookies was crumpled in his hand. He'd finished them off after Bucky had fallen asleep. He was rather thirsty now. The plane landed.
"You okay?" Bucky asked.
"Yes." Zemo nodded.
"I could use a drink of water."
"I knew those cookies would help."
"Help with what?" Zemo looked down awkwardly.
"Oh nothing." Bucky smiled.
"But I'm sure you need a drink after scarfing them all down." Bucky giggled.
"I didn't scarf them." Zemo grumped. Tired, and crabby. Bucky shook his head fondly.
"You're cute, all feisty."
"I'm not feisty. I'm thirsty."
"From all those cookies." Bucky smirked. He enjoyed pushing Zemo's buttons.
"James, you bought them, if you wanted one you should have asked."
"I got them for you."
"Then why are you complaining?"
"I'm not." Bucky laughed.
"I just want you to admit you ate them all, because they made you feel better."
"Fine." Zemo blushed.
"They did. I was sad, and they were very good." He squeezed past Bucky, and into the aisle. Bucky chuckled.
"You know I'm just teasing you right?"
"Yeah." Zemo sighed. He gasped when suddenly someone bumped into him as they ran by. It was the kid in the back. Zemo stopped himself from cursing in sokovian, and instead made a noise indicating he was irritated as he looked over his shoulder hoping to catch a glimpse of the person, but they were already off of the plane. Bucky couldn't help but giggle.
"What?"
"You're just in a mood."
"I'm not in any mood, I just want to go home... I'm sad James." He looked down. Bucky's smile fell. I shouldn't be teasing. It's not a good time.
"I know, I'm sorry."
"You're just having fun. I'm not angry with you James, and I am sorry for snapping at you." Zemo sighed. Bucky smiled softly.
"Come here." He pulled Zemo into a hug. Zemo hugged him back. He felt a little better after the embrace. Bucky slung his bag over his shoulder, and they exited the plane. As they stepped into the terminal they noticed some commotion going on. Some staff were gathered together with security, and police. One of the guards was holding the candy kid by the hood of his coat. Bucky soon realized he recognized the coat. It was baggy on the boy's skinny frame, old, and tattered. A deep green. Military. Bucky recognized it as soviet. Nineties maybe.
"What's all this?" Zemo looked at Bucky who shrugged.
"I noticed him before we took off. I don't think he was supposed to be on the plane."
"Likely not. That's the boy who stole from the candy store."
"Yeah." Bucky began walking, but Zemo stood still, watching them.
"Zem?" Bucky stopped, and looked over his shoulder. Zemo started walking towards the group.
"Zemo?" What's he doing?
"Excuse me?" Zemo pushed himself into the circle.
"Yes, sir? How can I help you?" One of the attendants turned to him.
"I'd like a word with the young man there." He smiled innocently. Oh dear. Bucky began running to them.
"Is this your kid?" The security guard asked.
"Yes." Zemo nodded.
"Don't think so." A manger shook his head.
"The kid didn't have a plane ticket. He was sitting in the back, according to the flight attendants on the plane."
"So?" Zemo tilted his head.
"So he's a stowaway, and we're taking him into custody." The officer replied.
"If I pay the ticket will you leave him be?"
"We've been given reports of theft fitting his description, we're taking him in for questioning."
"Reports from who?"
"A hotel in Czech, and the airport there." The security guard said.
"If I pay for all he's taken, or bail, or anything is it possible the charges against him be dropped, and you let him go?" Zemo tried again.
"Yeah you can come with us to the station, and pay his bail if you want, but we have to take him in."
"Can't I just pay you now?"
"Sorry, it's a procedure." The officer seemed sympathetic. The security guard was annoyed.
"This guy must be fresh off the plane." He scoffed, referring to Zemo's accent, and seemingly lack of understanding law enforcement procedures. Zemo got that challenging look on his face when Bucky made it to them.
"I'm sorry, he's not causing any trouble is he?"
"James?" Zemo looked at him with surprise. Me? Causing trouble? The audacity! He was appalled.
"You know this guy?"
"Yeah he's with me."
"It's true they were seated together." The attendant nodded.
"Okay, I'm trying to explain to him that if he wants to come bail the kid out, he's got to do it at the station. Unfortunately we have to take him in."
"I understand." Bucky nodded, and looked down at the boy. Short, thick, disheveled, black hair covered the boy's head. He looked up. Green eyes met Bucky's. The boy's face went pale, and his eyes were wide as if he'd seen a ghost, or something similarly terrifying. He began to struggle, and elbowed the cop in the chest.
"Ah!" The man groaned, and his grip on the boy's hood loosened. The young man wriggled free, and took off running.
"Haldè?" Bucky seemed equally as surprised. The rest of the group watched with stunned looks on their faces. Without a word Zemo took off after the boy.
"Zem!" Bucky followed suit. The officer, and the security guard jumped onto their radios, and alerted others in the area of the three trouble makers. The kid was fast, clearly used to running. Zemo, of course, was hot on his tail. Both of them are small enough to maneuver the crowds quickly. Bucky was obviously the fastest of them, but the last thing he wanted to do was plow through crowds of people, and possibly hurt someone.
He moved slower, pacing himself, and squeezing past people apologizing as he went. Zemo wasn't as courteous. Practically pushing people aside as he ran.
"Wait!" He called out.
"Sorry!" Bucky apologized to everyone Zemo may, or may not have shoved.
"Zemo Slow down!" Bucky called after him.
"Stop!" But Zemo wasn't listening. The boy ran down a hallway that led to the men's bathroom. Zemo pointed in the direction he wanted Bucky to go.
"Why?" Bucky understood the single, Zemo wanted him to go past the bathroom.
"We'll head him off if we split." Zemo called as he ran down the hall after the boy. Bucky sighed as he kept going. Suddenly the boy darted out from the second bathroom entrance. Bucky skid on his heels to a stop, and quickly grabbed the kid by his shoulders.
"Gotcha." He grinned. The boy struggled, but no way he was getting out of Bucky's grip. Zemo stepped out of the bathroom.
"Very good James."
"Let me go!" The boy swung his arms around.
"Haldè, calm down." Bucky spoke softly, and carefully turned the boy to face him.
"You know him?" Zemo asked.
"Sort of."
"Please don't kill me, I didn't mean to run away!"
"Shh." Bucky crouched down to be on eye level, and slid his hands from the boy's shoulders to his upper arms.
"It's okay, I'm not going to hurt you."
"Promise?"
"Yes. Now, how did you get to Sokovia, or what was Sokovia?" It was still just as hard for Bucky to acknowledge that Sokovia was gone. The boy shrugged.
"I walked."
"You walked from Siberia to Czech?" Bucky's eyes widened.
"I think so." Haldè shrugged.
"Siberia?" Zemo was shocked.
"Hey, let's talk about this later. For now, how would you like to get something to eat?"
"Yes please!" The boy's eyes lit up.
"Alright, good." Bucky smiled, and let him go.
"James?" Zemo cleared his throat, and looked at him with a look that said 'care to explain?'.
"Oh. This is Haldè."
"Hello." Haldè smiled innocently.
"Haldè this is Zemo. My boyfriend." Bucky introduced him. Zemo's heart fluttered when Bucky introduced him as his boyfriend.
"Nice to meet you." Zemo held out his hand. Haldè nodded, and shook it gently.
~
They made it to Bucky's car without further incident. Hopefully I don't get in trouble for this. Bucky thought. Hopefully Zemo doesn't get in trouble for this. Zemo sat in the passenger seat while Haldè was in the back. He watched out of the window with amazement.
"Have you been to the states before?" Bucky asked.
"No." Haldè shook his head.
"What brought you here?"
"I couldn't stay in sokovia- I mean Czech anymore."
"Because you were in trouble?"
"Yes... I'm sorry." He looked down shamefully. Zemo turned, and looked back at him.
"Don't be sorry. You have no reason to apologize."
"I was stealing."
"You were doing what you had to do to survive. That is not something to apologize for." Zemo smiles softly.
"I feel bad though."
"That means you are a good person." Bucky said thinking of his talk with Cas after the hydra incident.
"Really?" Haldè looked up at them.
"Yeah. It means you have a good heart. It would be weird if you didn't feel bad."
"Oh." Haldè nodded, and seemed to feel better. Bucky turned, and parked in the parking lot of a McDonald's.
"Ever had McDonalds?" He asked. Haldè shook his head.
"You will like it." Zemo smiled before he got out of the car. Bucky got out, and smiled as he watched Zemo open the back door, so Haldè could hop out. They stepped into the building, and looked at the menu.
"Anything you want." Bucky encouraged him.
"Really?"
"Of course." Zemo hummed. Haldè thought for a moment before making a decision.
"Chicken.. nuggets?" He asked a bit skeptically.
"No surprise there." Bucky laughed as he ordered their food. Zemo gently placed his hand on Haldè's shoulder.
"Let's get seats."
"Okay." The boy nodded, and the two looked around the dining room.
"That one!" Haldè pointed to a table by the windows.
"Good choice." Zemo agreed. They sat down, and Bucky met them at the table with their food on a tray.
"I'll get your drink." Bucky said to Zemo. He ordered a water cup as usual.
"What do you want to drink?" Bucky asked Haldè.
"Water please."
"You sure?" Bucky raised a brow.
"No soda?"
"What's soda?" Haldè looked just as baffled as Bucky was.
"Come on." Bucky grinned. Haldè stood up, and followed Bucky over to the soda machine.
"What is it?"
"Soda machine." Bucky hummed.
"Wow." Haldè eyed the machine.
"There are a lot of flavors to choose from." Bucky himself found it overwhelming at times.
"Whao!" Haldè began to look over them.
"How do you choose?"
"You just do. I would recommend this one to start." Bucky pointed at the classic coke a cola. Haldè nodded. He watched how Bucky filled up his cup with soda then repeated the action. Once they filled all the cups they returned to the table.
"Your water." Bucky smiled sweetly.
"Thank you." Zemo hummed. He had already started eating, and took a sip. Haldè sat down, and Bucky sat beside him. Haldè started eating the French fries.
"Mmm!" He beamed.
"Salty!"
"Oh yeah." Bucky laughed.
"This place has legendary fries, I've been told." Bucky referred to a statement Peter Parker had once made. Zemo was the first to finish.
"Thank you James." He said using a napkin to wipe his hands, and face. Bucky nodded, and the two observed Haldè. His reactions were enjoyable. He powered through the chicken nuggets with excitement.
"They are so yummy!"
"Agreed." Zemo laughed. Carl loved them too. He refrained from saying it out loud. Haldè took a sip of the soda. He gasped.
"I love it!" He took another sip.
"Can I try the other ones!?" He asked excitedly. Bucky laughed.
"Sure." He looked at Zemo for confirmation. Zemo nodded with a smile. Haldè jumped up, and ran over to the machine, and began to sample the other flavors. Bucky watched for a moment.
"James." Zemo spoke suddenly.
"Yeah?" Bucky turned his attention back to Zemo.
"Tell me. What's going on?" Zemo looked down sadly.
"Oh, yeah I'm sure you're wondering about this." Bucky rubbed the back of his neck.
"I honestly didn't remember him at first. When we saw him in the shop, I felt this familiar feeling, but I didn't recognize him, or remember him. Not until I saw his eyes at the airport." Bucky shrugged. Zemo nodded. There is so much you still don't remember, James. Zemo took a sip of his water.
"To be completely honest with you. I don't know much about him." Bucky shrugged.
"I only know he was another experiment. Another toy like me. He wasn't there by choice."
"I see." Zemo sighed.
"I'm honestly surprised I remembered his name. We didn't interact much. I only saw him around the base in Siberia." Bucky shrugged.
"He got scolded a lot by Colonel Vasily, and ran around a lot, and he watched me train the others."
"Others?"
"Winter soldiers." Bucky said softly.
"Right." The ones I killed. Zemo took another sip of his water.
"I killed Vasily." He blurted suddenly. Bucky's face was surprised, yet blank. He sat quietly for a moment. Zemo was also quiet, looking down at the table.
"Ok." Bucky spoke finally. Zemo looked up at him.
"This might sound bad, but I don't care." Bucky shrugged.
"I mean I care about you, and if you're upset about it I'm here to listen, but honestly I'm glad he's dead." Bucky never expected to hear himself say that. Zemo smiled sadly.
"I drowned him because he refused to give me information on you."
"I see." Bucky blushed awkwardly.
"Makes sense."
"Had he given the information I asked for I may not have even needed to..."
"To kill him?"
"No." Zemo shook his head.
"I would have thought about sparing him had he told me what I wanted, but I wouldn't have had to use you." Zemo looked down shamefully.
"Zemo."
"I know." Zemo looked up at him, and smiled softly. Bucky stood up, and held his hand out to Zemo.
"Ready?"
"Yes." Zemo took his hand, and stood up.
"Haldè!" Bucky called.
"Coming!" The boy ran over to them, and the three of them went home.