Golf N' How It Goes

After showering and rinsing off the terrible day you just had, you tried to keep your focus on the night ahead of you. Ali had invited you to Golf N' Stuff, and you weren't going to let anything stand in your way of enjoying it.

The stereo was on full blast, blaring Love Is A Battlefield by Pat Benatar. You danced around your empty apartment, letting the music take you. If this was your only source of distraction from the day you just had, so be it.

It sure was working. Music always worked.

You danced around your room, ripping clothes from your closet. When you settled on the perfect one, you practically jumped onto your vanity stool, matching your makeup to the outfit wonderfully.

Pointing at yourself in the mirror, you sang along to the song, your hairbrush in the other hand working as a microphone. Still bobbing your head to the beat of the song, you began teasing your hair, solidifying it with tons of hairspray.

Next order of business was your skates. You sang the lyrics under your breath as you plugged in your hair dryer, and began going over the skates that were still dripping wet from the storm.

By the time you had finished everything, it was already time to go. It had stopped raining but you decided to walk to the record shop anyway, just to stay on the safe side.

You weren't sure what Golf N' Stuff was like, but you figured it wouldn't hurt to bring some musical reinforcements along. Grabbing the stereo, you ran out the door.

You walked inside, skate bag and radio in hand. Your mother flashed you a small smile from behind the counter. The shop was completely rid of customers.

"Oh, where you going all dressed up like that, doll?"

"Ali asked me to go to Golf N' Stuff with her and the girls tonight. I just wanted to stop by and let you know that's where I'll be."

"Okay," her smile faltered, "well, have fun."

You couldn't help but stand rooted on the carpet. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, hon. It's just... I'm really glad you're making friends and all but once business starts picking up, I'm going to need your help around here. This is your shop too."

She wasn't speaking in a condescending manner, in fact her tone seemed sad. Something told you that this wasn't the only thing bothering her.

"I know ma," you obliged, "I won't make any plans for tomorrow night."

She suddenly became weary, "oh no sweetheart, but tomorrow is Friday night. I don't want you to miss out on any fun pre-weekend festivities your friends might be having."

"I'll have plenty of other Fridays."

"But this is your first Friday in California."

You huffed, standing your ground. "No, ma. I want to be here with you."

She knew there was no changing your mind. "Alright. But you better have fun tonight, after all it is your first Thursday in California."

You laughed and kissed her on the cheek before heading toward the door.

Your hand was wrapped around the knob when you suddenly found yourself turning back toward your mother.