Breaking In

"Who would write that?"

You looked over your shoulder to find Johnny looming over. His face was still saddened, the corner of the blanket still in his hands.

"I don't know," you lied, "... but it doesn't matter."

"It doesn't matter?! How could you say it doesn't matter? Someone broke into your house and did this!"

"Johnny-"

"Don't try to make this situation any less then what it is. If this is some sick and twisted joke-"

"It's not!"

"Then stop brushing it off like it's okay!"

You frowned at his urgency. You wanted nothing more than to tell him the truth. You wanted all of this to be over with and behind you. But you couldn't possibly imagine what Kreese would have in store if he ever found out.

"Johnny, you read the note. Please just stay out of it."

"I'm supposed to stay out of it? Because it sure seems like it has something to do with me." He held up the fabric.

"I'll take care of it." You smiled wearily.

He shook his head, knowing you better than to remain calm over this. He knew you were hiding something.

"I just want you to be honest with me."

You sighed, defeated. "I wish I could be."

His lips pressed into a thin line. "So it's true then," he frowned, "you're lying to me."

You didn't know how to respond.

In the silence, he nodded his head slowly. He didn't seem mad, just disappointed. Almost as if he was expecting this to happen eventually,

He took a step forward, taking your hand in his. Keeping his eyes on you, he lowered his voice for your ears only.

"Are you in any danger at all?"

"No."

"Are you lying?"

"I'm not sure."

His eyes grew sad. "I don't ever want you to be in danger. I won't let anything happen to you, not when I'm here."

You inhaled sharply, gulping away your fear. "Johnny, I really wish I could tell you everything. But there's a reason I can't. I'm not the only one in danger here."

Your eyes traveled to the small piece of blanket. His name engraved on it should have given him an idea of the situation.

Kreese was going to go great lengths to get that trophy. Even if that meant a threat as low as this.

"I won't let anything bad happen to you," he repeated reassuringly, "I won't."
•••
That night after the beach bonfire, Johnny drove you home. The back seat of his car was piled with gifts. He pulled around into the parking lot and stopped the car, taking the keys from the ignition.

You had just assumed he was going to help you carry in the gifts. With a smile, you reached back and grabbed a few. "I got them."

He laughed. "Oh, I'm not just helping you bring them inside. I'm staying."

You couldn't help but smile up at him. It had been so long since he decided to crash on your couch. "Really?"

"Of course. I'm not leaving you after you got that crazy note."

Smiling, you pulled him into a side hug as you walked. The two of you laughed as you almost dropped the gifts in the process.

When you walked in the door of the apartment, your mother was waiting patiently. She was still dressed from the adult party, and she clapped at the sight of Johnny.

"Oh, Johnny! Thank you so much again for throwing such a lovely party for my girl. You and Ali did a marvelous job."

He thanked her formally, to which your mother extended a finger and told him to call her by her first name.

"Right." He laughed with a smile, "I won't call you Miss ever again."

"You better not."

The two of you placed gifts on the table. Your mother examined them with a smile. When you placed the guitar in front of her, she practically jumped out of her skin.

"This is beautiful! Oh my goodness, I just know you'll play this every waking second of the day."

You laughed, somewhat embarrassed at her comments. "Mom." You chuckled through gritted teeth.

"And Johnny," your mother ignored your embarrassment and went right up to him, grabbing his shoulders, "it's so good to have you back."

"It's good to be back."

As your mother pulled him into a hug, he looked over her shoulder at you, sending you a smile.

Their sweet interaction reminded you of something much darker. Your heart began to pound as you turned toward the supply closet in the hallway and began to head toward it.

The door creaked open, and you stood on your tiptoes. The navy blue blanket was still folded as if it hadn't been touched. Carefully, you reached up and grabbed it, pulling it off the shelf toward you. As you did so, another note drifted to the ground.

You looked at Johnny, who was speaking intently with your mom. When you were sure he wasn't looking, you unfolded the piece of paper.

You've been warned.

You gulped. Your uncle was insane.

You quickly shoved the note in your pocket and examined the blanket. Just as you had suspected, the top corner was cut out.

As the night went on, your mother began prepping the couch for Johnny's stay. When she needed the blanket, you held it out to her. With the other piece of fabric dangling in your hand, your mother took them both gently. Her face scrunched up in confusion.

"What happened?"

You turned to Johnny who was looking at you intently. Gulping you turned back to her.

"I think this should be a later conversation."

"Of course sweetheart." Your mother said hesitantly.

She looked between you and Johnny wearily before she smoothed out her dress and gestured for the couch. Johnny brushed past you and headed for his makeshift bed.

"I'll get another blanket for you, hon." Your mother quickly walked past you.

As she did, you mouthed to Johnny I'll be right back, grabbing the blanket as you did so.

You followed your mother out of the living room and into her bedroom. She walked into her closet and began to sort through her warmest blankets.

"Mom," you hovered in the doorway, your voice was a worried whisper, "how many times has Kreese been in our home?"

She perked up at your question, not quite understanding. "What?"

"My uncle. He did this," you held up the blanket with its scrap, then reached into your back pocket to pull out more evidence, "and he wrote me these notes as well."

She practically ripped them from your hands, examining them with fierce eyes. Mumbling under her breath, she began to shake her head. "I can't believe this... that psychotic man! He had the audacity to break in to our apartment after I kicked him out-"

"Wait," you cut her off, "you mean to tell me that you never invited him back here?"

"No." She said sternly, "you know me, you know I stick with my word. I said that he was not welcomed here anymore and I meant that."

Your breath hitched. "So he really broke in and did this..."

"It appears to be that way..." your mother drifted, her mind clearly running, "but how do you know it was him?"

You gulped, there was quite a lot that you had to fill your mother in on.

You assumed now was the best time.