The Invisible Man

The Halloween dance was approaching at electrifying speed. Daniel spent every evening training with Mr. Miyagi without realizing it. Although he complained, he would understand eventually. It was only a matter of time.

What hurt the most however, was Mr. Miyagi comparing you to your uncle. The uncle in which, you had still never met. He told your mother a month ago that he wanted to finally meet you, but he couldn't even show for that. Go figures.

But you had to remember the lesson on balance. As long as you didn't go too overboard, you would be fine.

Right?

Daniel was just training for extra precaution. You had urged him not to start any fights, but if the Cobras were to approach him, he needed to be strong enough to finish it. It was only self defense. Besides, he still didn't understand exactly what these chores were accomplishing for him. For now, you got to sit back and laugh as Daniel dreaded his awaiting tasks.

As for you, in order to proceed as planned, you "forgave" the Cobras for what they did. Fortunately, you played the game well. And after some back and forth bickering, you put on your best award worthy performance. They believed it of course, which moved you closer to initiating the next phase of your plan.

The day of the dance, you helped the party committee set up during your free period. You were blowing up balloons with Ali, when Johnny caught your eye. He was wearing that same red leather jacket and headband as usual, but there was something about him that you hadn't seen in a few days.

A smile.

And on top of that, his ears were covered by a Walkman set. It was a shame he had to get a new one because of you, but surely this one would last longer. Besides, in that moment at Golf N' Stuff, he deserved to have had it crushed under the wheel of your skates.

Without thinking, you approached him. He was talking with some classmates, messing around with a skeleton prop. You hated that you noticed a glimmer of happiness sparkle in his eyes as you approached. But you especially despised the guilt you felt. Johnny really believed that you had forgiven him, and that the two of you had gone back to normal.

"Hey." He smiled wide and pulled the headset around his neck.

"Hi, Johnny. Whatcha got there?"

He admired it for a moment, wiggling it around. "I'm not quite sure. I mean, it's a bone. I know that. I just don't know where it goes."

You giggled at his incompetence. Taking it from his hands, you clicked it into place with the other bone prop on the table.

"Oh," he looked at the conjoined bones, "I knew that's where it went."

"Sure you did, Lawrence."

Silence surrounded you both before you decided to re-break the ice.

"So... you got a new Walkman?"

"Oh yeah," he laughed, "don't go breaking this one now."

You scoffed, sarcastically offended. "I would never."

"I wouldn't put it past you, princess."
•••
After school, you went straight to Daniel's apartment. The two of you then walked to Mr. Miyagi's workshop together to discuss the next course of action.

Your first move: attack at the dance.

The plan was shattered however, when Daniel opened his mouth.

"I'm not going."

"What?" Your jaw slacked, "what do you mean you're not going?"

"I mean, I wouldn't put it past the Cobras to pull some crazy stunt. They'll probably be high on adrenaline and something else and I just don't want them coming after me again!"