Milk Duds & Talks of Studs

"Star Wars is my favorite!"

You were giddy with excitement when Ali invited you to the drive in theater. She told you that they were playing Return of the Jedi, which concluded the Star Wars trilogy.

"I'm so glad!" Ali said over the phone, "drive in theaters are so much fun! You're gonna love it!"

"I can't wait!" You squealed, "I haven't been to a drive in theater in years. They didn't have them over on the island in Greece."

"That's a shame! But luckily, we can give you the California experience. We'll pick you up at 8:00."

The two of you talked for a little while longer before you said your goodbyes. Hanging up the phone, you ran to your closet in search of the perfect outfit. The sound of a clearing throat behind you, made you pivot on your heel.

"Did you get a costume idea?"

Marty was sitting on your bed, jotting down ideas. So far, neither one of you had a good idea as to what you should go as to the dance. The crumpled papers thrown and scattered around your room showcased your cluelessness pretty evidently.

"No not yet," you sighed, "Ali invited me to a drive in theater tonight so I wanted to pick out my outfit."

"A drive in? What movie are you seeing?"

"Return of the Jedi!" You grinned wildly, "I adore Star Wars but I never got the chance to watch the final installment."

Marty chuckled. "Don't worry, there will be plenty more."

"What?"

"I uh..." Marty snapped out of his daze, exaggerating his tone "I just know it. I can feel it in my gut."

You smiled to him before turning back to your closet. Just then, you immediately whipped your head back to face him again.

"Hey, why don't you come with us?"

He visibly swallowed. "Oh... no, I- I don't want to intrude-"

"Nonsense. We're going to the movies, end of discussion."

He processed this for a moment before sighing and slumping his shoulders.

"Alright, I'm in."
•••
The opening crawl soaked into your ears with a rush of adrenaline. You missed this.

You sat in the back of a blue 1983 Chevrolet pickup truck. Barbara borrowed it from her parents because she knew there wasn't enough room to fit all of you in Ali's car.

Blankets covered the entire back of the car. Pillows barricaded the inner walls. You, Ali, Daniel, Susan, Barbara, and Marty huddled over your snacks excitedly.

Out of the corner of your eye, you noticed Ali watching you intently, a wide smile on her face. You looked extremely happy, and Ali found it satisfying.

You didn't even let the bug flying at your face get you down. Although it continued to dive for your head and in your path of sight, you let it.

It wasn't until you heard the giggling however, that you realized it wasn't a bug at all.

You turned your head to get a better look at the Cobras, who were sitting in Johnny's convertible a few feet adjacent behind you. Johnny had a box of milk duds in his right hand. The moment you locked eyes, he turned to the other Cobras and began giggling some more before popping a candy piece in his mouth.

Rolling your eyes, you turned back to the large screen in front of you. Of course the boys were your friends, but they were immature at best. Throwing milk duds during a movie? Really?