Heed the Warning

After the party, Ali told you that there was one last surprise.

She sensed your oncoming anxiety of the large crowd and organized a small gathering on the beach for closer friends. She said she only threw you the massive party because her parents were already having a large dinner. Knowing that wasn't exactly your scene, she took extra precautions.

Ali insisted you ride with Johnny.

You got into the passenger seat, feeling more nervous than you ever had before. Johnny had just told you he loved you.

And you said it back.

There was so much happening in your mind and in your heart. You wanted to apologize to Johnny for being so distant and confused, but he knew how sorry you were.

He just didn't know why.

You still couldn't tell him about your uncle. About Kreese.

And the day he would find out the truth, you feared what would happen. On your first official date, you set up a list of rules. Although they were just goofy for the most part, there was something serious in the mix.

Rule #5: Johnny had to tell you when things were getting bad at home with his stepdad.

And the opposite end of that should have been fair. You should've told him when things were getting bad with your family. You promised you would tell him. But Kreese threatened you into not telling the truth. You were fearful of that coming back to bite you.

As all the cars began heading for the beach, Johnny waited until the parking lot was empty. As he turned to face the back seat, you had assumed he was just checking to look for oncoming cars. Instead, he pulled out a long box from the back floor.

He set it on your lap gently, waiting for a response.

"Johnny." You said flatly as you tried to suppress a smile.

"What?" He smiled, "you didn't think I wasn't going to get you a gift right?"

"You shouldn't have had to!"

"Oh now you're just being ridiculous. Open it up."

"Right now?"

"Yes right now. I want you to open mine first so that once everyone else gives you their's on the beach, they have a standard to reach."

You laughed hysterically as you began to pull the baby blue wrapping paper off of the box. As you opened it up, your eyes widened. The color choice on the wrapping paper seemed to be purposeful. Because inside the box, was something you had your eye on for awhile. Something that same exact color.

The baby blue guitar from the instrument shop.

Your jaw dropped, quivering on words you didn't know how to speak out loud. Affectionately, you just threw your arms around Johnny.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

He placed his hand on the back of your head and pulled you closer. "You're welcome. I saw you eyeing it up that day we were in there together. I think the employee caught on quickly when I came in the next day and bought it."

So that was why she brought Johnny into conversation the next time you went in to the store.

"You're the best." You smiled.