Digging Two Graves

"Johnny! What happened?"

You grabbed his arm and forcefully pulled him inside, slamming the door behind him. Your mother caught sight of his state and stood to her feet.

"Oh my goodness," her breath hitched in shock, "I'll go get a warm bath started."

She practically sprinted out of the room, leaving you to pick up your own jaw from the floor. "Johnny talk to me. What happened?"

That's when he completely broke down.

"I can't do it anymore! My step dad is a horrible person and my mom can't leave him. He threatened us both if we tried to. He said he would make our lives even more miserable then they already are with him. I just can't go back there, I can't!"

He collapsed on to you. He wept, his tears running off of his face and into your hair. He cried out into your shoulder. His voice started cracking as he continued to rant, your shirt muffling the sound of his voice.

His emotions were so powerful and overwhelming that you felt a tear of your own slide down your cheek and onto his neck.

"He's a bully." Johnny cried.

"Shhh," you held him closer and rubbed your hand up and down his back, "you're alright now."

"And my sensei!" He shouted, "he's like a father to me. I shouldn't feel like he hates me too!"

Johnny continued to cry, his knees giving out beneath him. You had to catch him as he fell. Something told you that he needed to be this vulnerable with someone for a very long time.

Your mother came running back into the kitchen and carefully pulled Johnny off of you. She interlaced her arm in his and helped him stand to his full height.

"Come on, let's get you relaxed."

You watched silently as she walked him to the bathroom. When he was securely inside, she walked back down to the storage closet and removed a duffel bag from the top shelf. It was Johnny's overnight bag, one he packed and kept at your place whenever he needed to stay.

Your mother handed him the bag and shut the bathroom door gently, closing Johnny inside. She immediately brought her hands to her face in shock and contemplation as she walked back toward you.

Tears began flowing silently down your cheeks. You didn't know why you were crying for Johnny, but his hurt transferred over to you.

"That poor boy." Your mom whispered through a few tears of her own.

You stood there in complete and utter silence. The sadness you felt for Johnny, the anger you felt toward his step father.

You had to do something about it.

In one sudden movement, you surprised even yourself. Grabbing the keys and tossing them in your purse, you pivoted on your heel and marched toward the door. Your mother called out to you.

"Where do you think your going?!"

"I'm going to have a little chat with Johnny's stepfather."

You ignored her yelling as you continued on your path. Charging down the hall at lightning speed, you bolted down the stairs. When you eventually reached the car, you twisted the key into the ignition and changed gears all in one breath.

You drove down the street well over the speed limit. Your anger only pressed your foot into the gas harder.

It wasn't until you passed Daniel's apartment complex that you began to slow.