Fresh Coat of Paint

"Mr. Miyagi please. I'm begging you!"

You trailed behind him in his backyard that evening, pleading. He continued to march forward without sparing you a glance. You had just filled him in on everything that happened, and how desperate you were to reach Daniel.

"Why must deceive Daniel?"

"It's not deceiving, that's a pretty strong word..." you sighed, "look I just need to talk to Daniel. But chances are, he's not going to let me in his apartment. That's where you come in. I need you to simply ask him to help out around your yard, you know do some chores or something. But whatever you do, don't tell him that I'm here. If we want this to work, he needs to think I'm not around."

It took Mr. Miyagi a moment, before he finally agreed. He had sealed the deal with a firm handshake.

"Tomorrow," he spoke, "I invite boy over. You question then. But don't be surprised if Daniel-san say no. He barely know me."

"But it's worth a shot, right? Besides, you fixed his bike that night he was run off the road. There has to be some sort of bond forming between you two."

"Hai, at least I hope."
•••
The next day, you kept to yourself throughout the school hallways. It was hard to do so however, when Johnny Lawrence was sitting right next to you in class.

"So are you going to tell me what you're going as for the Halloween dance? I'm on the edge of my seat." He said with a monotone sarcasm.

You stopped scribbling your notes and turned to him. "You're just going to act like nothing happened? That everything's fine?"

"Well if you won't..."

You scoffed. "I can't believe you."

You only had the chance to write a few more sentences before Johnny leaned over toward you. He was too close for comfort, leaning out of his chair and hovering over your desk.

"What are you doing?"

"Reading your notes. Mr. Teach writes too small. And being in the back of the room, it's hard to see."

"Then why don't you move up?"

"And leave you all alone?" He fake pouted, "don't tempt me."

You rolled your eyes, directing your attention back to the board up ahead. A few minutes passed before Johnny grabbed your pencil from your hands.

"Give it back." You hissed quietly.

"Not until you tell me what you're going as for the Halloween dance."

"You're such a child."

"Says the one who is keeping secrets."

"Secrets?" You laughed, tired of this game, "you want to talk about secrets? You have been beating up my friend constantly for weeks and I had no idea."

Johnny shrugged. "It's not our fault he didn't tell you."

You ripped the pencil from his hands, nearly taking some of his skin with it. Your blood boiled with rage.

"If I tell you what my costume is, will you shut up?"

He pondered this for a moment. "Perhaps."

"I need a solid yes or no."

He sighed. "Fine. Yes."

If Johnny liked games so much, that's what you were going to play. Your own little game. It was time to give Johnny a taste of his own medicine.