Chapter IV

Act III of Devotion: Liberty

Chapter IV: Tacenda

My father had always told stories of their marriage when we were younger. It was quite a story to hear over bedtime beside the fireplace. My father had been a very busy man ever since we were young, so these moments mattered to us the most.

He would sit in this humongous velvet stool that was placed by the servants for my father to use in our chambers in Dragonstone. He had warm hands when he held me in his arms, holding me so gently. It was so long ago but I could remember all his words like it was yesterday.

On that particular night, he told us about the day he had met our mother. Our mother was new to the capital at that time, only coming from Dorne on the orders of our grandfather. It was fairly astounding to see such a woman like her, my father says. Intrigued by her independence and wit, he did not know it then but he liked her and perhaps even developed such love at that first sight.

Despite the septs he built out of his poetic words, my father had lamented that some of us would not have a choice in regards to whom we get to love. He was particularly lucky to have been able to wed my mother in a bid to unite a fracturing realm with power. Perhaps that would be the same for many of my family - especially for my elder brother Aegon.

My brother, Prince Aegon, has never had any choice in his life - he was my mother's pride. The realm's savior, the king that would be great enough to honor the first Aegon. Much would be on my brother's shoulder as he continues to live his life and he knew that and lived with it uncomplainingly. Forever tied to his life bound to duty in the chains that could not be seen.

That was until he fell deeply in love - just like our father before him, loved her immediately.

None had truly seen my brother ever look without the moment fleeting soon. But when Joanna Baratheon came before him that night at the welcoming feast for our mother's guests, many saw that look halt as if it was the most wondrous moment of all time.

My brother had fallen in love with her all at once.

But he knew for every choice and every moment, there was a price to pay.

For love had always been the end of duty and duty the end of love.

And he knew that too well, but in this case - perhaps it broke his heart.

Like the parting of the seas, and soon the drift - one can only ask if they had survived it.

Aegon had.

But a lot of pain came with it.

For love was the end of duty and all the same.

- Maester Maekar; Chapter VI of the White Queen