Chapter I

Act I of Devotion: Love

Chapter I : The Good Old Days

"Only Lady Joanna truly knows , and all his smiles belong to her and her alone

"Only Lady Joanna truly knows , and all his smiles belong to her and her alone. I do avow that I have even observed her make him laugh, not once, but on three separate occasions!"

Maester Pycelle

Late 261 AC, Casterly Rock

THE BREEZE from outside in the wide open sea helped her as she pushed heartily, feeling the insides of her own body failing her. Joanna Lannister had not expected to give birth that day. She was not even due to give birth up until the end of the feast of the Maiden. But of course, the gods had their tricks and soon, Joanna was compelled to her childbed. Not that she minded it. The gods willed this on her and so she had accepted it.

"It's not coming out!" She cried as her sister by law, Genna Lannister as she liked to be called held her hand through the entire day as she hissed and cursed the pain. "Genna, my baby is not coming out!"

"Why isn't it coming out?" Genna questioned the midwife as she knelt near the legs of the lioness, parting it.

"She is not pushing hard enough!"

"And you are not doing enough!" Genna screeched harshly back at the midwife as Joanna squeezed her hand, causing the golden woman to look at her. "What is wrong?"

"Let her be, she is right." She huffed as the pain increased, making her feel more willing to push the child out to end her misery. Joanna gathered her strength and thought about her husband. Her Tywin.

He was outside her chambers, she knew. He had been waiting for this moment for a very long time and she had always known he mused to have his own family, though she knew he would never say it out loud. Tywin was a man who belonged to himself and himself alone. He had always made it seem that way. But Joanna was sure she would change him more. Joanna will soften him and give him all she could, including this child. After a deep breath, the Lady of Casterly Rock pushed and pushed with screams echoing out her pale lips.

Until the cry was heard.

"My lady, you have birthed a healthy daughter."

Joanna smiled, as her eyes blinked with soft tears straining them. Joanna had given her husband a child, a beautiful beaming lion.

"You've done it." Genna smiled at her sister in law as the midwife cleaned the child up, wrapping her around a lion cot that the two had spent months to make. The midwife gave a small smile and handed the child to the mother who was beaming in happiness at the sight of her child. Joanna unwrapped the small cot and saw the gender, looking to Genna and then to the midwife. Genna walked towards her sister in law and leaned in, to look at the gender which caused her eyes to widen.