Chapter VII

Act III of Devotion: Liberty

Chapter VII: Given and Taken

'The gods have always been fair and kind but also vindictive and cruel. That I had learned as a young man. There is no better example of this than my own dear mother. When the queen Leila had heard of my sister Visenya's death, it had since been four days since the attack at Lannisport. Within those days, mother had found herself trying to keep the realm together, as she always has.

The pains of court politics and family feuds had been heavy on her mind, but upon the news of my brother prince Aegon having the intention to wed and my father finally siding with my mother upon the ascension of my younger brother Jacaerys as a legitimate son of our father, the sufferings seem to be worth it. The raven that had been sent to me sent me happy tidings of my elder brother's nuptials and my younger brother's advancement. Yet this missive had arrived too late, too late for any joy to enter the hearts of the bereaved. The news had been a shock to us as much as it was to the whole realm. Twenty years of peace and plentiful and suddenly, it shatters as easily as a vase left in an uneven space, forever to be broken.

My mother had found herself crushed at the loss of my sister Visenya, as though her whole world had collapsed upon itself. My father had said it was as though our mother had died herself. Mother wept bitterly through the past few days, locking herself in Visenya's chambers and refusing both food and water. A heavy bout of fever had festered upon the grief and the shock. Both Elia Martell and Ashara Manwoody both stood vigil at her side, ensuring that the fever would go down. Throughout this fever, my mother kept calling out to Visenya - as though she was still alive. As though she was still there to hear her mother's calls. This would never stop, from what I heard from my father. She would call for Visenya at times in her slumber.

My sisters Rhaenys and Rhaenyra returned to the capital within the next few days, traumatized and grief-stricken at the loss of our sister. Joanna Stark, whom was our cousin, had spoken of Visenya Targaryen's bravery and Elaenora Dayne's bond to duty. Visenya's decision to cut the ropes that entangled the ships had allowed them to sail further out the harbor. Eleanora Dayne slew dozens of enemies before Euron Greyjoy had forced her into a long and brutal melee and had killed her with her own sword, Dawn. The prized Valyrian steel sword Dayne would only be returned soon after the war by Rhaenyra Targaryen, the new heir of Sunfyre.

Their ship docked upon Oldtown, where I hurried to meet with them. Through the journey to meet them, I wept remembering the sister that had loved me and indulged my antics. The same sister whose blunt words had put me back to the ground, whose life had been an inspiration to me. All of us wept together when we met, unable to put into words the gravity of the loss we now faced. One that we thought we would never have to face in our youth. With her death, the flames of vengence and anguish began to be set aflame.

At the age of twenty and five, the eldest daughter of Leila of house Lannister and Rhaegar of house Targaryen - Visenya of House Targaryen; heir to Sunfyre, soon to be known as the Valiant, passed from her severe wounds. She would be buried at Sunfyre, beside her beloved Elaenora Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, in the manner of husband and wife for all of eternity.'

- Maester Maekar; Chapter VI of the White Queen