Chapter III

Act II of Devotion: Endurance

Chapter III: The Sign Of The Times

"There was too much pain to be heard that single day in the middle of one of the most challenging years of Leila Lannister's life. Terrible heartbreak, terrible feelings of isolation and sorrow. It was the beginning of change. It was the sign of the times."

-Maester Maekar, Chapter IV of the White Queen

W A R N I N G

T H I S    I S    A    S A D 

R O L L E R C O A S T E R     O F    A

C H A P T E R      S O

P L E A S E    H A V E     S O M E 

T I S S S U E S    A N D 

C O M F O R T      F O O D

X

2 7 6  A  C

O  L  D  T O W N

T H E  Q U I L L  A N D  T A N K A R D  I N N

HE HAD NOT SLEEP IN A WEEK, HE WAS WEAK, HE WAS AWAKE. You would have never seen a more reckless man more in need of relief. But there was no relief. No relief was in Oberyn Martell's soul as he sobbed hard, his father staring in front of him in his chair. Mors Jordayne sighed as he watched his son become a shell of what he once was.

Oberyn had never been one to cry. He has never wept, not even for the births of his two elder bastard daughters. Oberyn's emotions were only of joy, only of cheerfulness. Of ferocity, of anger, of strength. But never sorrow and guilt. Mors Jordayne had never really known his son to feel that kind of thing. He was careless, always showing how free he was. He has never been this way and his heart broke for his youngest child. He hadn't meant to do it, to sleep with the septa. But he knew that the exile was causing his son to break and news of Leila sailing to King's Landing to be a part of the king's court had worsened it.

Oberyn couldn't bear being away from Leila too long.

Mors was reminded of himself then. He had a hard time trying to choose what he had wanted to do before he wed Loreza. He was a man who allowed himself to drift along the sands of whatever came to be. Until he met Loreza. Loreza changed everything. Loreza gave him a chance to straightened him up, gave him what he wanted in his life. Stability, security. He changed for the best. He knew that Leila Lannister was the change that Oberyn needed in his life.