Chapter V

Act II of Devotion: Endurance

Chapter V: The Tourney of Lannisport Part II

"The tourney was one of the most important moments in Leila Lannister's life and the history of the Seven Kingdoms. When the prince of Dragonstone walked towards to the lady of Casterly Rock and Sunfire to ask for her favor, everyone stared with awe and wonder and thought that this was a declaration of affection. The beauty, grace and intelligence of the gracious lady was the prince only few of the things that he had liked about her and this pivotal moment would define the years that were to come. Though many were happy including the royal family, house Lannister and many more, the entirety of Dorne  would later feel understandably dismayed and angered at the thought that she was to be the future queen to another man that was not their prince over the lies they were fed. But the union between the dragon and the lioness as we know it would be the most infamous marriage in all of our history. The Tourney of Lannisport was the ultimate beginning to what was to come.

-Maester Maekar, Chapter IV of the White Queen.

L A T E  2 7 6  A C

 C A S T E R L Y   R O C K

W E S T E R L A N D S

LEILA LANNISTER WAS THE MAIDEN WHOSE HONOR WAS TO BE DEFENDED THAT DAY. Not that she wanted to be the center of attention when she could be resting as she still felt tired. But the king had made it so. He had especially asked for her to be the maiden whose honor needed defending saying that she was the most beautiful woman in the entire kingdoms and added that men from all around the realm would be fighting for her attention. Leila knew what he meant. Her beauty was one of her greatest assets besides her warm nature and intelligence. All would fight for a woman of great beauty. But Leila did not want that. If anything she had learnt, she was able enough to fight for herself using whatever means she could. She was not helpless.

But she knew that she had to play along if she wanted to be able to have her grip on the king's favor. Her father would not like it if they lose control. This was her father's ultimate dream, to make house Lannister the envy of the Seven Kingdoms completely with the sway and favor they have over the king and his family to advance their family's fortunes and prestige. Leila was not one to disappoint when she was given a task. Despite her more prominent and more forward thinking about women's role in society because of Dornish influence, Leila knew that she was still in the control of her father's will and command and more importantly that of the king's. Leila was not foolish. She knew she had to play through the music with her head and mind in the right place.