Chapter IV

Act I of Devotion: Love

Chapter IV: I Have Loved Only You

"That duel Prince Oberyn had done to defend his lady's honor was the downfall of their hopes to be one soul and live the tales of love in reality. It was the shattering of the things that could have spared Leila Lannister the grief, heartbreak and sorrows no person could have ever taken as well as she did."

- Maester Maekar; Chapter III of The White Queen

SHE HAD NOT YET PROPERLY SLEPT THAT NIGHT. But how could she? She was worried that the wound on the redheaded man would fester, fearing it would make him ill and kill him. So Leila Lannister kept her eyes opened and occupied the entire night. She decided to make some medicine for helping the sleeping man to regain his strength and when she was done with that, she decided to go and stitch some cloth she had gotten from the innkeeper who was awake enough to bring her some stale bread and some cheese. Leila felt that the man was lucky that his wound did not open in the hours that passed them by quietly. It was deep enough to give him a few hours of bleeding and a rather somber and bloody death.

Leila was one of the very few women lucky enough to be allowed to further her education beyond that of what other noble ladies learn. Her father saw her potential when he had visited the Rock when Leila was merely three years of age, a year after Jaime and Cersei had been born. He had not seen her in a while then but he found she had grown brilliant at such a young age. Leila was able to recite a Valyrian poem by memory from how her dear mother said the poem. Tywin was dearly proud and so instructed the Maester that his daughter's knowledge must be cultivated to be able for her to help with the rise of the lion. Tywin was proud of what his daughter had become and he knew her rise will be so high that she will never fall.

Leila learnt all that she could from the brilliant and clever tongued Maester. She learnt how to detect which plant was poisonous and herbs that were safe to consume. She learnt to read and write in Valyrian, speak the immortal language as well (though her accent was still very much Westerosi) and had once translated a poem written by a Valyrian nobleman about sorrow. Leila also learnt history, numerical figures, the figures of humans, religious beliefs and most importantly how to understand political motions. Leila knew that her father would expect that she would know how to manipulate things from the sidelines and all for the glory of their house. He expected many things from her in truth and she, in her playing of the beloved perfect daughter, does as she is bid.

Her thoughts disappeared at a sound of a small yet audible grunt, coming from the covers of the bed. She turned to look at the patient as he blink and then in a moment, tried to pull himself up. Failing as he moaned in the harsh twisted pain, she walked over to him with a gentle swish of a walk and sat at the edge of bed which was just beside his feet.