Chapter 32

Unpredictable. Life is unpredictable.

I had known it. I had experienced it. The level of unpredictability it shows is even unpredictable. There were many events I could present at the moment which proved how unpredictable my life was. Only if my boss, Rhee, the most unpredictable person in my life, had not been sucking my mind late at night. I should not have been surprised when he told me that he was in his office, at this hour, working on the project. Yet his words had caught my attention when he told me that.

I agreed that with the meeting being scheduled with clients and everything going around, a lot of work was piled up on our desks. However, we had ample time on our hands to meet the deadline. He didn't have to stay behind in the office to work overnight. Despite he was working late at night, exhausting himself to the point where his thoughts become numb and couldn't reach him to haunt his nights.

There was a time when I used this tactic to overcome my impeding thoughts. I wish I could help him in any way to get free from the restraining hold of his agonizing past. The letters he had sent and the way he wrote them it was very difficult for someone like me to not tear up. To not feel the pain he felt.

He had wanted me to help him when he was just too broken to assemble himself back. I wasn't there to help him then and when I came back, I got surrounded by  many boundaries to hold me back.

When he told me that he needed some files and couldn't find them, I realised those were the same files I had bought with me to work from home. I informed him that I would give the files the next day and guess what? They were not the very pleasing words he had heard. The very next moment I knew he asked me to get up from my bed and bring him the files within half an hour.

His sudden demand left me baffled.

He wanted me to come to his office in the middle of the night? To deliver some files? He had lost his mind. In a few hours, we were going to meet. What was the urgency? He could wait. But no! Why would he listen to me? He was the boss and would do as he pleased.

I reasoned with him about the midnight time and also he was asking me to work after office hours. In response, he did the one thing he became so good at, 'Be mean to Ahana' or as he preferred to call me 'Miss Ahana'. He chose the perfect argument, as I would like to call it, to argue my reasons. He very well knew where to attack and especially how to attack.

My ego.

How?

By mocking me.

"What about the promise you made Miss Ahana? Ah.. what was it?...umm... something like determination ..and .....hard work, if I'm not wrong? Can you remind me? I actually can't recall it accurately."

He had said those words throwing the humorous insult my way. The mockery in his voice was so evident that it still echoed in my mind.

He executed it very well. I wasn't able to deny him thereafter.

As they say 'A man of his words', I was the girl of her words. I had promised him on the first day of my work that I would be a hardworking employee and determined towards my work. His words challenged me, my ability to stand up to my words. I could feel anger bubbling inside me. He had made fun of my words, my promises. My ability to fulfil them.

If he was on a secret mission 'Annoy Ahana' then he was doing a fantastic job in his mission. He had managed to take away my mental peace and my pretty sleep just with a single phone call. It was more agitating that unknowingly I let him have his way with me. How could I let him? I let his words get to me so easily. It was so unlikely of me.

"Ugh!." I groaned. My hands rubbing up my face in irritation.

I looked up at the clock hanging on the wall opposite me. Ten minutes had passed since he hung up on me. I breathed a long breath. Twice.
Inhale.
Exhale.