Chapter 2

The next morning I woke up a little early, eager to join mom-dad for breakfast. Truly speaking I was tossing and rolling in my bed for the whole night. The guilt of losing my little sister because of me would never leave me, at least not in this life. I might not have killed her directly but leaving her alone in the room that day I indirectly killed her. The previous night was also the same as others, restless and sleepless.

I was going down when my phone rang. I looked at the flashing name.

'Swati'

I read. My best friend and only friend since I shifted with Nani. She was the one who helped me to not lose my sanity. She was a kind of typical badass the one who never showed her emotions in front of anyone. She believed that sharing your emotions with others only shows your weakness to them and that was what they needed to hurt you and somewhere in my mind I had started believing it too.

I attended the call.

"Where the hell are you? Why are you not picking up my phone?" She shouted at the other end.

My phone was flooded with her messages and calls but I was not in a state of replying to them. I was expecting her to explode while picking up the call.

"I told you I am shifting back with my parents. Remember?" I said trying to be reasonable.

"I better remember that. I think members of the Ahuja family are not forbidden to attend their friend's calls there." She said sarcastically in an annoying voice.

'She caught it again.'

"Are you okay, Ahana?" Her voice was full of concern.

"Of course, Swati. I'm so happy that I came back here." It wasn't a lie. I knew they needed their time.

"I know they haven't forgiven you and you were crying all the time. There is no need to act as nothing has happened." She said accusingly. "Believe me, Ahana everything is going to be alright soon. Just don't lose your hope. Stay strong." Her tone was serious.

"Hmm... I hope so. By the way, why do I feel someone is worried about me." I said playfully to lighten up the mood. I knew she didn't want to ruin her badass image in front of anyone.

"Worried, my foot. Bye." She said in an irritating voice, then hang up.

I looked at the phone smiling. I still wondered how we did end up being best friends.

I went to the dining room. Three of them were there having their breakfast. I took a seat opposite to mom and adjacent to dad purposely.

"Good morning" I wished.

No one replied. Nikhil looked up and smiled.

"Good morning", he replied. "You slept comfortably?" He asked.

I nodded.

"I'm done." Mamma pushed her plate and removed her napkin."Shreevanth, serve my breakfast, lunch, and dinner in my room from tomorrow onwards." She ordered the chef and stood up to go.

"Mamma, please," I said painfully stopping her in the way.

She glanced at me for once then left without saying anything. It hurt again. Her silence and ignorance were unbearable. I looked at dad hopefully. He sat there but didn't say anything. We ate in silence.

I looked at the watch. I had to go to 'Kapoor Industries' to meet Dev's uncle. Dad was already gone.

"I have to go. See you Nikhil" I told him while standing up.

"Now? Where?" He asked.

"Dev uncle wanted to meet me. I am going to his company." I replied.

"Okay, I will drop you there. I have to discuss something with Rheyan regarding business." He said standing up from his seat.