Chapter 9

I wore my shirt leaving above two buttons unbuttoned giving full view to my six pack abs and rolled up both sleeves to the elbows. I must say she had a good taste! I went out of the room and saw her descending stairs in very sour mood.

'I shouldn't have said those words. Maybe I misunderstood her.'

'Why are you feeling bad? It was she who provoked you.'

I also went downstairs into the living room. Ahuja family was also there. Dad and Naveen uncle were hugging each other as if there was no tomorrow. My eyes went to Nikhil who was watching them with a smile plastered on his face. There was a time when we both were also best friends and used to copy them but time changes everything. I could tell, just by looking at him that he was also thinking about us, about our friendship.

Feeling my gaze on him, he looked at me and his smile widened more. After so much time I felt good. He came to me and we did our signature handshake. Mom and Arpita aunty also greeted each other. I touched the feet of both Naveen uncle and Arpita aunty in honour, seeking their blessings. Literally, Ahuja and Kapoor were just surnames for the differentiation of people otherwise when we talk about family, it was one. And when I say one I really meant it.

My gaze travelled from Nikhil to Ahana whose eyebrows were knitted together in confusion, giving a look to dad which clearly meant 'what's going on people? Somebody tell me.' From her expressions I assumed she was not expecting them here. Dad leaned close to her and whispered something in her ears. Slowly, her lips twitched into a sincere smile and for the first time in my life I felt my heart skip a beat. Her smile was real and genuine. She mouthed a thank you to him to which he shook his head which also didn't get unnoticed by me.

'What is going on between them? They are hiding something.'

'Whatever, I don't care.'

Nikhil went towards her and introduced himself. They both did a handshake while staring at each other in adoration. Had I felt it or were they actually having a silent conversation? Except three people, I could tell that no one else was not very much pleased with her presence there and those three people were dad, Nikhil and I. Well, despite the fact that she always had a way to irritate me even without doing anything, I didn't have any problem with her presence here. An awful silence settled in the room which was broken by Nikhil complementing Ahana.

"You look beautiful!" He complemented in a sing song manner while taking in her look.

She was wearing a maroon coloured one piece dress ending a little below her knees accompanied by brown heels. She looked simple yet elegant. My eyes stopped at bruises on her wrist which were apparently given by me a few minutes ago.

Someone cleared his throat beside me. I realised that I was accessing her from head to toe and staring at her for long than I should. I quickly averted my eyes from her to see a smirking Nikhil. I rolled my eyes at him and glanced back at her for once. Our eyes met for a split second. The smile which was playing on her lips was soon vanished. A scowl took its place. For some reason I felt guilty.

'It is all because of her. She always tempt me to do something that I don't want to do.'

'Still it is your fault, Rheyan. You don't have any right to comment on her character.'

We all made our way to the dining room. The air surrounding us was filled with tension.

"I don't feel like eating, now. I will have my dinner later." Arpita aunty spoke in monotone breaking silence in the room. Everyone looked in her direction in confusion. She was looking at Ahana. Her eyes filled with disgust which gave away her lie.