A New Man in Their Life

Josh: 26
Darcy: 23
Penny: 5
Olivia: 3

8:00 am

"I need help!"

Darcy's head snaps up from filling out a few forms and sitting at the front desk of the hospital. A young girl, no older than 20, stumbles into the front of the hospital, her pants soaked and bent over, holding her large bump in between her hands as tears roll down her cheeks.

Darcy jumps up from her seat, throwing down her pencil onto the desk as she runs towards the young girl and grabs onto both of her arms to help support her as she goes onto her knees on the ground.

"It hurts,"the young girl cries, digging her fingernails into Darcy's biceps and crying out.

"I know, sweetheart,"Darcy coos, holding onto the young girl's biceps and comfortingly shushing her. "We'll stay right here until you're ready, okay?"

"I—I'm leaking,"the young girl cries, her forehead leaning forward to press against Darcy's shoulder.

"That's okay, babe,"Darcy whispers comfortingly, rubbing her thumbs against the young girl's biceps. "That's just your water. We'll get you into a clean gown soon, okay?"

"Mhmm,"the young girl whimpers in agreement, taking a few deep breaths in between shaking sobs that show how completely terrified she is.

"Wonderful breathing, darling,"Darcy whispers, her lips close to the girl's ear." Keep taking nice and deep breaths."

"I-It's over,"the young girl sniffles, flicking her teary eyes up to Darcy's eyes who nods with the kindest eyes.

"Okay, perfect, babe,"Darcy smiles widely, squeezing the young girl's biceps comfortingly. "You rocked that, honey. Should we go get you into a room and some clean clothes?"

"Yes please,"the young girl sniffles, tucking a strand of her red hair behind her ears as she wipes at her brown eyes.

"Okay, let me help you up, sweetheart,"Darcy whispers, helping the young girl onto her shaky feet and wrapping an arm around he waist to help her into a hospital room down the hall. "What's your name, lovey?"

"Caroline,"the young girl responds through a teary throat, gripping onto Darcy's arm as she waddles down the hall.

"I'm Darcy, it's so nice to meet you,"Darcy greets, opening the door slowly with her hip as she helps Caroline waddle into the room. "I'm gonna be your midwife today, alright? You're going to be just fine."

"Okay,"Caroline agrees, as Darcy helps her sit up onto the bed, leaning back against the mattress.

"Do you mind if I feel around on your bump a little bit, my love?"Darcy asks, rubbing some soothing lotion onto her hands and looking up at Caroline who nods and pulls up her pale pink shirt to reveal her big baby bump.

"You have a gorgeous bump here, darling,"Darcy bubbles, pressing her palms against Caroline's bare stomach to feel the baby's positioning.

"Thank you,"Caroline smiles gently, tilting her chin down to her chest to watch Darcy feel around on her bump.

"Is there anyone I can call for you, hun?"Darcy asks, flicking her eyes up to catch Caroline's face fall.

"Uh no, no,"Caroline whispers, shaking her head. "It's just me."

"Okay, no problem at all,"Darcy assures the young girl, but she can't ignore the way her heart absolutely shatters in her chest. She's has many mums throughout her years of being a midwife-in-training and a proper midwife that have been laboring alone, however, it never stop hurting her heart. Especially when they're young and vulnerable like Caroline. It reminds her of herself. So broken and scared. "You're in luck because you are one of only 6 ladies having babies in the hospital today, and there are 5 midwifes on shift, so I'll be able to spend loads of time with you, okay?"