Finally Able to Go to Daddy Daughter Dances

Josh: 26
Darcy: 24
Penny: 6
Via: 4

December 2035

"She was sad?"Darcy asks, holding the phone to her ear with her shoulder as she shoves her hands into her backpack, trying to find her keys.

"Yeah, she seemed really sad,"Josh replies through the speaker phone, driving on his way home with Via in the backseat. "Of course she didn't talk to me. She's still not talking to me, but she seemed really sad. Via said that she was really sad when she got to the daycare."

"Sh*t,"Darcy mumbles, opening her car door as she successfully finds her car keys and gets into the front seat. "Sorry, I'm on speaker phone, aren't I?"

"Yeah, it's okay, though,"Josh chuckles, looking through the rearview mirror to see Via in her own world completely, looking out of the window and drawing little shapes on it. "She's in Via world as always. Anyways, you're picking Pen up right now?"

"Yeah, I'm just leaving the hospital right now,"Darcy replies, looking over her shoulder as she pulls out of the parking lot. "I better prepare myself for sad Penny."

"There's a lot of emotions in that tiny human,"Josh jokes to make Darcy laugh. "Is she having an okay time at school? You told me she was liking it...?"

"Yeah, she is,"Darcy replies with a sigh. "She loves school and she's already met a ton of friends, so I don't think it would be that. And she loves her teacher."

Penny just started Year One in September and she has been loving it. She was a bit wary of it at first because she realized that she wouldn't be with Via all day at daycare, but she brightened up a bit once Darcy assured her that she'd be able to go to daycare everyday after school to be with Via.

"Well, let me know what've it is, 'kay?"Josh says, running a hand through his straight brown hair. "It breaks my heart to see her like that."

"I will,"Darcy promises, grinning a bit at Josh's statement. Penny is still very apprehensive of him and doesn't talk to him unless it's a necessity, but him and Via still come over almost daily because Penny loves playing with Via. Josh and Darcy decided that it would be best to just let Penny take her time and warm up to Josh, hoping that eventually she'll be okay with him being in their lives. So far, however, not progress has been made.

"Thanks for noticing and warning me,"Darcy continues, tapping her fingers against the steering wheel. "I love you. Tell Via I love her too."

"I love you too,"Josh smiles, looking up to see that Via is still in her own little world staring out the window. "Miss Via, Darcy said she loves you, what do you say?"

"Love you,"Via hums with a big grin, scrunching her nose at her dad as she looks at him through the rearview mirror.

"Via even your voice sounds older!"Darcy bubbles with a smirk. Via just turned 4 last week, and she's been so proud of the fact that she's now a year older and a "big girl".

"Oh no are you a big girl,"Josh groans jokingly, looking back at Via who giggles, resting back against her carseat. "No, you're still a baby, right? Daddy wants you to still be an itty bitty baby."

"I'm not a baby!"Via exclaims dramatically with a smile. "I'm a big girl!"

"You tell him, Via!"Darcy giggles, "alright, I love you two. I'll talk to you later, okay?"

"'Kay,"Josh agrees, pulling into the driveway of his house. "I love you too. Good luck with Pen."

***

"Penny, honey, your mummy's here!"the daycare worker calls, standing at the front desk with Darcy and making small conversation. "It's time to go home."