Chapter 5

I’m angry and annoyed. I get it, road construction sucks, having to change around your daily routine sucks, but after my really rough day, it pissed me off that a guy that doesn’t even know me just insulted what I do and it was the last thing I needed. Even though I didn’t have that much to drink, but I can tell that my feet are a little heavy and I might be walking a little slower than I normally would. I’m just trying to get back to my apartment and take a nice long bath before going to bed.

I’m about halfway back to my place when I get that feeling down my spine that I’m being followed. I pick up my pace a little bit, not wanting to look around because I’m close enough to my apartment that it shouldn’t be a big deal, but then I hear footsteps close behind me. I turn and swing my arm around, hoping to take the person off-guard, but it is caught by Caleb, the guy that messed up the survey work this morning.

“What the fuck, Caleb? What are you doing here?”

“Do you know what happened to me today?” He is slurring his words and smells like cheap scotch.

“What is your problem?” I try to pull my arm away, but he squeezes it tighter.

“You, you stupid bitch.”

“Whoa, what are you talking about?”

“I’m talking about you getting me written up at work. Did you fucking tell my boss that I didn’t do my job correctly?”

“Well, no offense, but you didn’t do your job and it fucked up my job so I’d say you got what you deserved.” The words were out of my mouth before I realized I probably shouldn’t have instigated him even more. I pull my arm away from Caleb, turning to run, but he grabs my shoulders and pushes me up against the wall. I let out a scream, but he covers my mouth to muffle the noise.

“You ruined my day and now I’m going to ruin yours.” Caleb keeps his hand on my mouth, pressing my face against the wall. His other hand wraps around my front and he pulls at the buttons on my jeans. I try to scream for help, but his hand pushes harders again my mouth.

Tears are rolling down my cheeks, I continue to struggle against him, but he’s stronger and bigger than I am. My face continues to scrape against the brick wall, I’m able to taste the blood mixed with my salty tears. Just as he goes to move his hand down my pants, Caleb’s weight is released from my body.

“What the fuck?”

I hear Caleb yell, I turn around and see Tyler, the guy from the bar, throwing punches at Caleb on the ground.

“Oh god...oh god!”

Tyler stops punching and looks up at me. He knees Caleb in the stomach before standing up. “Hey, are you okay? Charlie?”

I throw myself into his arms and feel the comfort and warm embrace from him. He gently rubs my back and tries to calm me down. It takes some time, but I’m finally able to answer him. “Yeah, yeah I think.”

He pulls away from me and gently runs his thumb over my face. I cringe and hiss in pain. “You’re hurt.”

“I’m fine. Just a scratch.”

“That’s more than just a scratch.”

“I’ll be fine.”

Tyler gently takes my arm and leads me back out to the main road where he calls the sheriff. We don’t have to wait long for one of the deputies to get there and a dazed and drunk Caleb is arrested. The deputy takes my statement and asks if I want to go to the hospital, but I decline.

“Where do you live?” Tyler asks, still not leaving my side.

I node up the road, “Above the flower shop.”