Chapter 35

Once I hear my alarm, I’m rolling out of Tyler’s arms and reaching for the nightstand. My phone wasn’t there, so I sit up and try to remember where I put my phone when we got home last night. I was so drunk I don’t even really remember coming home. I follow the sound that is getting louder and louder and find it in my purse next to the closet.

I turn my alarm off and then grab at my head with both hands. I had such an amazing time last night, but my entire body hurts. I’m going to be paying for it today. I stumble out into the kitchen and make some coffee, only to realize that I ran out of coffee and never made it to the store last night.

“Fuck…,” I grumble under my breath staring at the empty cabinet.

Back in the bedroom, I pull on a pair of sweatpants, a long-sleeved shirt, and Tyler’s coat. I brush my teeth and go through my hair quickly, just tossing it up into a messy ponytail. I’m not trying to impress anybody, just presentable enough to make it down to the diner for some coffee. run my hands through Tyler’s hair and he opens one of his eyes. He groans and has the same look on his face as I must right now.

“Hey. What time is it?”

“Almost 10.”

“Fuck, I’ll get up, just give me a minute.”

He starts to sit up, but I put my hand on his chest and gently guide him back down to the bed. “Take your time. I’m going to run to the diner and get some coffee and maybe cinnamon rolls.”

“You’re an angel.”

“Ha...hardly.” I kiss his forehead and he rolls back over and pulls the blanket over his head. The cool air helps to wake up. The mornings are still chilly, but I make it to the diner and see an opening at the counter.

“Hey there, Charlie!”

“Hi, Rickie.“

“What can I get for you? I’m guessing a coffee by those bloodshot eyes,” he smirks.

I smile and nod my head. “Yes sir. Two large coffee and if you have any cinnamon rolls that would be great.”

“You’re lucky I had some in my freezer. For some reason my baker didn’t come in early this morning. You wouldn’t by chance know anything about that would you?”

“My lips are sealed, Rickie.”

“I thought we were friends, Charlie.”

“Snitches get stitches man.” Rickie laughs while he pours two large cups of coffee and bags up the pastries. He gives me a travel cup holder and slides me the check. I flip it over and see that he’s comped my breakfast.

“Forget something, Rickie?”

“Nope. I heard you were leaving us soon, consider it a going away gift.”

Just then my phone rings and I pull it out to see my boss Harold calling from Madison. “Hey Rickie, can you hold these a second? I need to go take this call.”

“No problems darling, they’ll be behind here when you get back.”

I go outside and talk to Harold on the phone. The conversation began as expected. He had information about the movers that were going to come to get my stuff and what I needed to do to end my lease. I listened to him, but my heart was breaking. This didn’t feel right. Nothing about this felt right. This was the moment I had to decide what I was doing. I was at a clear crossroads in my life when I had to make a choice. It didn’t come easy for me, so a quick phone call with Harold turned into one that lasted almost a half hour.