Chapter 31

Tyler took me to the movies on Christmas Day even though I told him that I just wanted to go home. I think he knew if we went home that I’d just sink back into my bed and not want to come out. He’s probably right. So instead he took me to the movies where they were playing Elf all day and by the time the movie was over I was laughing and in a much better mood.

We stopped by the gas station to get a few sandwiches for dinner and I had some Christmas cookies leftover that the kids had decorated the day before. It was no fairy tale, but we made the best of a day that was pretty shitty. A few days later, we went to the ranch and Betsy pulled out all of the leftovers and we got to have a belated Christmas meal. They didn’t ask about Dean and I didn’t tell them. 

For New Year’s Eve, we headed to Jimmy and Tiff’s place. They were hosting a fancy black-tie party. I loved getting dressed up and seeing Tyler in his Sunday Best. Who knew a cowboy mechanic could rock a suit so well? Being with the Brown Family for the night reminded me how much this family and this town meant to me. Never once have they treated me like an outsider, there was no drama, and best of all Tyler was my kiss at midnight and he didn’t shy away with the PDA.

In the middle of January, my work started to pick up again. I needed to interview and hire people for phase three. The company was willing to send somebody from HR to do most of the interviewing, but I wanted to personally talk to each of the applicants. Finishing the project on time was of the utmost importance. I needed to make sure that the project wouldn’t be delayed by a man-baby who couldn’t take directions from a woman. This meant three long weeks of eight-hour days in Waldorf. I wasn’t able to see Tyler as much as I wanted, even staying at the hotel a few times so I didn’t have to make the two-hour drive on the snowy roads. We were always talking on the phone or texting, we made time for each other because our relationship was important to both of us.

I haven’t spoken with Dean since Christmas Day. I have nothing to say to him and even if he did apologize to me, I’m not sure I could forgive him. Every now and then Les and I will text back and forth. She continues to apologize for him, but it isn’t going to be enough. Quinn called me a few days after Christmas and he was in awe of the things Dean had said. The two of them aren’t that close, but he did say he’d try to talk some sense into him. I don’t see the point. Dean doesn’t respect me and I’m not going to beg him to see me as a grown adult with my own life.

With my new crew hired, I had a few weeks of office work before officially beginning the final phase. This meant nothing was preventing Tyler and me from celebrating Valentine’s Day in the most spectacular way. Tyler has been hinting at plans he has for Valentine’s Day, but he won’t tell me anything specific. It has been a while since Valentine’s Day has been anything but another day to me. I was never one of those girls that needed flowers or stuffed animals. I never considered myself a huge romantic, but Valentine’s Day with Tyler just feels full of hope and I can’t wait.

I was just finishing up a morning video call with my boss back in Madison when my phone rang. A huge smile spread across my face when I saw Tyler’s name and goofy mug flash across the screen. “Hello, handsome.”

“Hey, beautiful.”

“What are you up to? I thought you were working.”

“I am, but I took a break to call you.”

“Aww, you know how to make a gal feel special. What’s up?”

“Tomorrow.”

“Yes, what about it?”

“Pack a bag.”

“Say what?”

“You heard me. Pack a bag because I’m taking you to Fargo for Valentine’s Day.”