Chapter 30

I’ve never claimed to make really smart decisions. I don’t think I make bad and reckless ones, but I don’t always think things through. There are times that I just make choices and don’t think about the consequences. There have been times where it has paid off, like the time I bet on the Cubs to win the World Series.

Most of the time though, I end up eating crow, regretting my decisions, and trying to pick up the pieces and move on. Well, here I am again. I know I didn’t think it through when I asked Tyler to come with me today. After yesterday’s horrible introduction between him and my brother, I cannot imagine that today would go much better.

I couldn’t go see my brother and his family alone though. I didn’t want to admit that Dean made me feel like I was an inch tall. The fact was that whenever he stepped in and did this overprotective big brother act, I was thirteen years old again, just trying to appease my older brother. Tyler gave me back up and a sense of strength. I knew that I could stand a bit taller if I knew Tyler was behind me. Betsy wasn’t going to be happy about him missing Christmas, but he didn’t let that stop him from making the call. I didn’t hear the entire conversation, but I could tell that she was understanding and wouldn’t hold a grudge against him missing the family meal.

Tyler spent the night but left about two hours ago to take the Christmas gifts he bought to the ranch and then to get ready to head to Waldorf. I didn’t lock the door after he left, I’m sure he’ll give me shit about that later, and moments after hearing his loud steps coming up the stairs, I hear the door open. I let him know I’m in the bathroom getting ready still. I was wearing a gray sweater dress with a navy blue belt that cinched at the waist. I paired it with matching navy blue booties with a small heel. When I made it back into the living room, Tyler was leaning against the kitchen counter.

“Wow.: He stood up straight and made a beeline for me.

“Hey!”

He makes me give him a twirl and that has me laughing like a schoolgirl, “Damn Char, you look gorgeous.”

“You’re crazy.”

He shakes his head and places a kiss on my temple, “Nah, you know it is true.”

“I bought these boots last weekend, what do you think?” I step back and show off the boots.

“I think they’re perfect for you. You look gorgeous, beautiful, sexy, hot as fuck...do you want me to keep going?”

“Maybe just a few more,” I saw with a giggle.

“Stunning, fabulous, amazing.”

“Okay, that’s enough.” I grab my purse from my bedroom and take one more look in the mirror to check the entire outfit. Tyler is standing in the same position when I come back into the living room, still with his eyes on me. I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of Tyler looking at me the way that he does. “I think I’m ready.”

“You seemed a bit unsure about that.”

“I’m nervous.”

Tyler reaches out and pulls me into his arms once again, “Whatever happens, I’ve got your back. Okay?”

“You promise?”

“I’m not going anywhere.” He puts his hands on my cheeks and tilts my head up so I am forced to look into his eyes. “I walked away once, I swear to god I’m never doing it again, Char. I promise.”

“I believe you.” I smile at him and he smiles back. I do believe him. I think he feels bad about what happened at Thanksgiving and even though I’m not 100% ready to let what happened go and forgive him completely, I know he has my back. I believe in him. I trust he won’t do it again. It is still going to take some time for the hurt to go away, but I know it’ll happen.