Chapter 9

“Hello, Dean! What do I owe this pleasure?” I wasn’t expecting a phone call from my brother, but I wasn’t disappointed to see his name show up on the screen as long as he was calling for pleasant reasons and not to berate me for my choices once again.

“Can’t a brother just call to say hi?”

“Of course, are you just calling to say hi?”

“Pretty much.”

“Pretty much?”

“I’m just checking in, Charlie. I haven’t heard from you in a few weeks.”

I lay back on my couch and let out an unintended yawn, “I know, I’ve been bad about keeping in touch. I’m working 10-12 hour days and I’m just pooped by the time I get home.”

“Are you finding time to relax, enjoy things?”

“Here and there. I have a pretty good friend here. We usually do a pizza and beer night once a week.”

“Oh, that’s good. You need friends, even if you aren’t staying there forever.” His comment surprises me a bit because usually, he’s going on about not getting too attached.

“I know. He’s been cool, a local so he knows a lot of things about living here?”

“Did you say he?” There is it, the judgement in his voice, the reason why I didn’t want to tell him about Tyler, to begin with.

“Yes, Dean. His name is Tyler.”

“Charlie, just, don’t get yourself…” I cut him off before he can get too far into his speech.

“Nope, no way, stop right there. I don’t need relationship advice from you. Tyler is a friend.”

“If you say so,” his voice dripping in judgement.

“I do say so. And even if he wasn’t just a friend, I’m 25, single, living on my own, I’m allowed to date and go out with guys.”

“I know, I just, after everything, I just worry.”

“Your concern is noted, but seriously, just friends.”

“Alright. Well, Les wants to know when you’re coming home to visit, maybe the Fourth?”

“I don’t know, it may be August before I can. We’re so busy and I’m the one in charge, I can’t just leave.”

“Alright, well let me know when you can. If you need help with a ticket, just let me know.”

“I don’t need your money, Dean. Remember I’m not paying rent here, so I’m able to save a lot.”

He laughs, “That’s true, you can buy your own ticket.”

“That’s the spirit!” He laughs again and I know I should probably end the call since we’re on a lighter note. “Alright, thanks for calling, I’m going to go grab dinner at the diner.”

“Don’t be a stranger, even if it is just a text.”

“I’ll do better. Bye, Dean!”

“Bye, Charlie!”

I know that Dean has a point about dating, which is something I think about all the time with Tyler. I mean, the guy is a big chunk of hunky man meat and if situations were different I would have no problem taking it to another level. Casual isn’t something I’m really interested in either. I know myself, I get too attached too quickly. I’m already dreaded having to say goodbye to Tyler as it is.