Chapter 7

After an hour of eating pizza and watching hilarious cake outtakes, I find myself leaning against the armrest of the couch with my legs on Tyler’s lap. He is rubbing my calves mindlessly and I’d be lying if I said it didn’t feel good. I let out a bit of a giggle and he glances over at me catching me looking at him.

“What’s so funny?”

I shrug him off, “Oh, nothing.”

“Well, now you have to tell me.”

“This just isn’t how I thought my night was going to go.”

“I get what you mean. I’m so unbelievably attractive that usually women just toss themselves at me after spending twenty minutes with them. The fact that we have spent this entire time together and you haven’t tried to make the next move is pretty unexpected.”

I throw my head back laughing, “You are so dark cocky, I swear. What I mean was that I had a really long week and I figured I would just be lounging in front of my TV alone drinking a few beers and eating some leftovers. I certainly didn’t expect to be hanging out with you all night.”

He gently squeezes my leg, “I can’t tell if it is a good thing or a bad thing.”

“I’m having a good time, I’d call it a good thing.”

“Alright, good.” He gives me a little grin and then goes back to watching the show and rests his hands comfortably on my legs.

“Hey, Tyler.”

He glances my way again, “Yeah?”

“Tell me about yourself.”

“What do you want to know?”

“I don’t know, minus liking whiskey sours and hating construction, I don’t know much about you. I figure if we’re going to be friends and all I should learn more about you.”

“You know I’m smart as hell, remember I used the word majestic earlier.”

I giggle and curl my legs up under my body as I move a little closer to him. “I’m serious, itell me the good stuff!”

“Alright. I’m 29, I’ve lived here in Valley View my entire life. I work for my brother at the only mechanic shop in town and I’m a total mama’s boy.”

“What makes you such a mama’s boy?”

“Look at me, don’t I look like one?”

“Hmm,” I tape my chin, “I thought mama boys were all clean shaven and wore sweater vests.”

He chortled, “Not country mama boys. We are rough around the edges, but total angels around our mamas because she can’t possibly think we’d do anything wrong.”

“Hmm, you must be the baby.”

“How’d you know?”

“You’re a bit spoiled and always get what you want.”

That made him laugh again, “Do I give off that impression already?”

“Well you’re here, aren’t you?”

“Ahh, point taken,” he smirks at me.

“So that ranch your dad owns, you grow up there?”

“I did, my grandpa bought it when he was younger than me. It’s huge. What you see is just part of it.”

“I noticed this when I was going over the survey of the construction area. It is really impressive. Are you or your brother going to take over someday?”