Chapter 26

The excitement of Bobby and Taryn's news interrupted the important talk that Tyler and I needed to have. If it was anything else I'd probably want to finish our talk, but we promised them we'd be there when the baby was born. The two-hour drive was mostly in silence. There were a few moments of conversations about things like what we thought the baby would be, how panicked Bobby is going to be, and all of that. It was light-hearted, but the tension was still clearly between us.

We pull into the hospital parking lot and both jump out quickly. We get inside and see Jimmy and Tiff standing at the nurse's station. Tyler rushes up there and Tiff turns around and looks at me. I give her a small smile and she nods her head at me. After getting the number of the room that Taryn is in, the four of us head up to the room. Jimmy and Tyler walk together and Tiff links her arm with mine and pulls me into her side.

“I’m surprised to see the two of you here together,” she whispered.

I couldn’t keep my eyes off of Tyler, even when replying to her, “I’m surprised to be here with him.”

“Did he finally call?”

“No, I was at the bar tonight and he happened to be there too. We were at my apartment when we got the text. Didn’t see the point in taking two cars.”

“How are you?” She asks with a gentle squeeze of my arm.

I shrug, “I don’t know. He said a lot of things, but how can I trust him?”

“I know. Well, don’t feel like you need to rush forgiveness. Take your time. If he wants you he needs to show you.”

“I just miss him.”

“I know, but you can’t let him just say things and not act on them. Jimmy isn’t a guy of many words, he does things for me to show me he cares. Sometimes I’ve had a hard time because I want him to tell me how much I mean to him or something. Instead, he buys a new garbage disposal or something.”

I laugh a little because I can totally see Jimmy doing something like that. “Thanks, Tiff. I know you probably really wanted to give Tyler the benefit of the doubt, I appreciate you gals being there for me.”

“We may be related to Tyler, but we know how Brown guys are like. They’re as stubborn as they come, but sometimes it can be a benefit too, and hopefully, he’ll show you that side of him.”

Our conversation stops as we get to the elevator, the door is already opening since the guys had pressed the button when they got there before us. I stand in front of Tyler. I can tell his hesitancy to be around me right now and it kills me.

Part of me wants to grab him and kiss him like I’ve never kissed him before, but another part of me wishes I had waited and taken another elevator. I’m having an internal crisis right now and it is killing me. We get to the maternity ward and they buzz us right in. Taryn’s room is the last at the end of the hallway and I’m a little shocked to hear laughing and loud talking when we knock on the door.

“Hey, I thought you were having a baby, not a party,” Tyler announces once the four of us enter the room.

Taryn claps her hands together, “Oh finally! I was about ready to make Bobby send another text.”

“We’re here. Had to wait for our sitter to come over.”

“Charlie!” Taryn’s eyes light up when she sees me.

I give her a friendly wave, “Hey Taryn.”

“I’m so glad you’re here,” I can’t help but notice the glance she makes in Tyler’s direction and back to me.