Chapter 33: Thank you

It didn't take Yelena long to pass out after her conversation with Y/N about continuing on as friends. Unfortunately, Y/N laid there for the next few hours, wide awake, just watching her sleep. They knew that holding her like this would probably be the last time for a long time and possibly forever. Yelena had said that she wanted to build a friendship first... but that doesn't mean she'll want to get back with me for sure, they thought. 

A few strands of light made their way through the curtains on the far wall and onto Y/N's face, gently waking them. As they slowly awoke, they noticed that she was still knocked out cold from the medicine they had given her the night before. Luckily, she was finally starting to look a bit better. Some of the pink had returned to her face and her vitals had risen.

Y/N was studying every inch of her face, taking in the last moments with her before they decided to leave to grab the nurse and catch up with the team. Releasing their arm from around her was the hardest thing to do, but they knew that it would be easier to do it now than when she woke up. 

They slowly moved their arm from behind her, resting her head on the pillow that had been behind their back all night. She didn't stir at all as Y/N laid her down, covering her with the blanket to make sure that she stayed warm. 

Before walking away from her bedside, they leaned down to place a gentle kiss on her forehead before whispering softly, "I love you, Yelena."

Still fast asleep, she didn't respond as she didn't hear them, but they were okay with that. At least she knew how they felt now and that was enough for them. Plus, now they knew that she felt the same for them, whether they could be together or not.

After tearing themselves away from her, they found her nurse to make sure that she would be well taken care of and texted Nat to let her know they'd be heading out if she wanted to come to see her sister.

It was hard to not worry about her. They found themselves scared that being away from her meant that something might happen and that no one would be there for her if it did. Unable to get these thoughts out of their head, they waited for Nat to arrive so that she wasn't alone.

"Hey, I thought you were heading out?" She asked as she made her way down the hall to Yelena's room.

"Yeah.. I was, but I didn't want to leave her alone. Too nervous," They responded scratching the back of their neck with a quiet laugh.

Luckily, Nat realized that it probably wasn't the best time to try and talk to them about anything. Instead, she just rested her hand on their shoulder, "Thank you for staying with her," she said as she left to enter the room.

Y/N blew out a long breath as they cracked their neck to try and shed some of the heavy feelings that were coursing through them. Before heading upstairs, they thought it might be a good idea to actually go back and read the messages they'd been ignoring all night.

(11 hours ago) Uncle Steve:

"Hey, just checking in on you. How
is she doing?"

(9 hours ago) Tony:

"I know you're with Yelena, but I'd
like to meet with you and Steve
tomorrow morning. Let me know
when you're free."

(3 hours ago) Yelena:

Wait... Does that say Yelena? They thought before opening the text.

(3 hours ago) Yelena:

"Thank you for staying with me. I
just wanted to send you this in case
I wasn't awake when you left in the
morning."

Some how, some way, she always amazed them. Even when she was upset and angry with them, she still managed to make their heart soar. Amazing wasn't even enough to describe her.

Now was probably the best time to meet up with Steve and Tony for them considering they were feeling a bit better about how Yelena was doing and that Nat had arrived to sit with her. Better to text them in a group rather than try and find them.

(2 min ago) Y/N:

"Morning. I just left her room now
that Nat is here. She's doing well,
thankfully. I'm free if you all want to
meet right now."

(1 min ago) Uncle Steve:

"Just got out of the shower, I'll meet
you all in 5."

(Just now) Tony:

"I'm in my office. Just head here when
you're ready."

Since Steve would be a few minutes, Y/N decided to run up and grab some food before heading down to Tony's office. As they were rummaging through the drawers in the freezer to find some waffles to pop in the toaster really quick, they heard a ding come from the elevator.

"Hey, Y/N," They heard Wanda say as she walked over to meet them next to the fridge, "How is Yelena?"

Without looking up from the drawer, they responded quickly as they were trying to get this done before Steve made his way down to Tony's office, "Yeah, she's doing better. A lot better actually. They almost lost her last night but everything started looking up."

She was shocked to hear them talk about it casually without getting uncomfortable, but Y/N was too focused on finding food at that point to feel any sense of discomfort. They hadn't eaten anything since the morning before the mission, leaving them nearly starving when they woke up this morning.

"How are you doing?" She then asked, taking Y/N off guard as they stopped before putting their waffles in the toaster.

They looked over at her trying to figure out if she genuinely cared or was just making conversation to fill the air while she was down there. When they caught her gaze, they could tell she was trying her best to make sure they were doing alright.

"I'm... alive. She's alive. At this point, I don't think I could ask for anything else," They responded before finally starting their breakfast.

Wanda made her way closer to them, resting her hand on their forearm. Y/N looked over to catch her gaze again, nervous that she was going to try something again as she had before.

"It's okay if you're not okay, Y/N. You almost lost someone you really... care for," She said, narrowing her gaze after sidestepping saying that Y/N loved Yelena, "And just know that I'm here. I'll always be here if you need something. Even though it hurts, all I want is for you to be happy."

Y/N let a small grin grow on their face before wrapping their arm around Wanda and pulling her into a hug. They still felt terrible for not ever being able to reciprocate the feelings she had for them, but they knew that Wanda was one of the only people they'd ever opened up to.

Wanda had been there just after Y/N lost their father and did all she could to hold them up. They quickly started realizing all she'd ever done for them. Wanda had put them first so much, cared for them when they put work first, and always done her best to help them when things got rough. As these thoughts rang through their head, they pulled her into the hug tighter.

Feeling their arms around her, she let out a giggle, "Geez, Y/N. Touch deprived?" She asked.

They pulled back slowly, leaving their hands on either side of her shoulders, "No. I just wanted to say thank you, for everything. You're honestly one of the best friends I have ever had, if not the best," They said as they choked back a few tears, "And God dammit I won't cry right now, I've cried too much recently, but I'm so thankful for you."

The two laughed as Y/N leaned their head back trying to get the lingering tears to fall back into place. Wanda pulled them back into another hug before letting them go to finish their breakfast and make their way down to Tony's office to meet with him and Steve.